Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are loads on main panel still powered by solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I'm getting some mixed answers on this from Tesla support though I thought I'd pose the question here:

I have 2 Powerwalls and a 12.24 kW system; plenty for my home in Arizona. A few months after the PV installation was done, we had a pool installed. The pool people put the power for the equipment on the "main" breaker box outside my home (compared to the sub panel in my garage that backs up everything with the powerwalls). My question is this:

During the day, is my pool equiptment powered by solar or by the grid? Tesla said it was powered by the grid since it wasn't on the same breaker box as all the backed up loads. This is a relatively important detail as we'd like to get a heat pump installed but we'd rethink it if the panels aren't powering it during the day.

If the loads are inside your meter, then yes, solar will offset the demand from the loads (pool, heat pump, etc.).
I apologize but I don't understand the phrase "inside your meter".

It does make sense that if the power fails then the pool pump, heat pump, dryer (also still on the main panel) wouldn't work at night.

i'm more concerned about powering these things during the day under normal conditions and that the sun is powering them, not the grid.

Upvote 0
I apologize but I don't understand the phrase "inside your meter".

It does make sense that if the power fails then the pool pump, heat pump, dryer (also still on the main panel) wouldn't work at night.

i'm more concerned about powering these things during the day and that the sun is powering them, not the grid.
If you have enough solar power, then yes.

Reactions: hobapolis
Upvote 0
"it depends"....

It depends on how your specific system was setup. What I believe you are asking is "are things in the main panel able to be use solar or powerwall power when the grid is connected"?

I believe the answer for this depends on how your specific system is setup, and where your CTs are. In my case, the answer is "yes, things in my main panel can be powered from solar and / or powerwall power, as long as the grid is up.

you should be able to test this on your system, though. Simply turn off the pool equipment electrical, while monitoring your tesla app and looking at your home consumption. You can try this first in the evening, if you have your powerwalls powering your home and no sun, and see if the draw from the powerwalls changes when you turn off or on the pool equipment.

if the powerwalls draw changes when you turn off / back on the pool equipment, then you know the powerwalls can power the pool equipment as long as the grid is connected.

If the powerwalls can power the equipment when the sun is down, then you know the solar can fill the powerwalls, so it would work how you want.

I remember @holeydonut saying that he had difficulty getting alignment / agreement on non backed up loads being able to use solar + powerwall when grid was up.

As I mentioned, it works like this for me. The only thing I have in my main panel is a tesla wall connector, which will not work in a power outage, but is able to take solar and or powerwall power if the grid is connected.

Upvote 0
If you have enough solar power, then yes.
Fantastic.
"it depends"....

It depends on how your specific system was setup. What I believe you are asking is "are things in the main panel able to be use solar or powerwall power when the grid is connected"?
I actually only care that the stuff on the main breaker box can be powered with solar. i'm not as concerned about running them at night.

Upvote 0
Fantastic.

I actually only care that the stuff on the main breaker box can be powered with solar. i'm not as concerned about running them at night.

Its likely to be both, or neither. You would have to test it. You could look during the day, by looking at the tesla app and toggling power on that equipment like I mentioned. You will know what your solar / grid draw is, during the day, and you can toggle power to that equipment to see what you see in the tesla app.

Upvote 0
Its likely to be both, or neither. You would have to test it. You could look during the day, by looking at the tesla app and toggling power on that equipment like I mentioned. You will know what your solar / grid draw is, during the day, and you can toggle power to that equipment to see what you see in the tesla app.
That kind of sucks then because I tried a test similar to this earlier today. I had my pump set to 50% and my home, in total, was using 400 watts. i bumped the pump up to 100% and the home was still showing 400 watts. No change.

Upvote 0
This is s pretty complicated question, and I think the answer is going to generate more questions.

It sounds like your Gateway and therefore your PV and PW backup system is blind to those loads that are not in the garage (backup) panel. This can be fixed by your installer adding some CT meters to the breaker(s) in the main panel where those other loads land. Your system could also be configured to have CT meters around the main incoming feeds instead of the individual breakers.

As it stands, the PV energy will be used either to charge the battery or to offset the loads, whether pool, heat pump or otherwise. The batteries will also discharge to offset some loads depending on how they are configured in your app.

You want your CT meters configured correctly so that your Powerwalls can learn your energy usage, and therefore use the stored energy plus PV to avoid any time of use increases. Powerwalls can store cheap daytime energy and discharge during evening TOU rates.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Upvote 0
"it depends"....

I believe the answer for this depends on how your specific system is setup, and where your CTs are. In my case, the answer is "yes, things in my main panel can be powered from solar and / or powerwall power, as long as the grid is up.

you should be able to test this on your system, though. Simply turn off the pool equipment electrical, while monitoring your tesla app and looking at your home consumption. You can try this first in the evening, if you have your powerwalls powering your home and no sun, and see if the draw from the powerwalls changes when you turn off or on the pool equipment.

if the powerwalls draw changes when you turn off / back on the pool equipment, then you know the powerwalls can power the pool equipment as long as the grid is connected.

If the powerwalls can power the equipment when the sun is down, then you know the solar can fill the powerwalls, so it would work how you want.

I remember @holeydonut saying that he had difficulty getting alignment / agreement on non backed up loads being able to use solar + powerwall when grid was up.

As I mentioned, it works like this for me. The only thing I have in my main panel is a tesla wall connector, which will not work in a power outage, but is able to take solar and or powerwall power if the grid is connected.

Yeah, @jjrandorin is right. Some folks on TMC have such smooth/perfect installs that work amazingly well with the latest tech. And others like me just get their face bashed in. When things go bad with solar and ESS, things get super frustrating.

I wager not every solar designer is as competent as @Vines. In my experience, I simply could not find an installer willing (or able?) to do a partial home backup where the non-backup loads were metered. This includes 30 minutes of absolutely anger-inducing time on the phone with a Tesla Energy sales rep. I had a Tesla sales rep telling me that what I was asking for was impossible.

I believe the disconnect (pun definitely intended) can be described with the following diagram that Tesla provides to explain a partial home backup solution to customers. This is a similar flow chart you'll often see with LG Chem, Enphase and other PV+ESS systems in a partial home backup design. This diagram is obviously simplified to be used as marketing collateral. It is not really something a real system designer should use for reference.

1642477474761.png

So here's the problem. The "professional" and "trained" people I spoke with (the ones not named @Vines) assume that the Powerwall is only able to store energy from the Solar, and then export that energy within the confines of the things in blue. No matter what.

No joke, I was told by at least 3 "experts" that...
... If the grid were operational, the battery is limited to the blue shaded items.
... If the grid were offline, the battery is limited to the blue shaded regions.

This is absolutely not the case.

So what @jjrandorin was saying is that the Tesla Backup Gateway supports a current transducer (CT) connected to the red home loads. This allows the Tesla system to "sense" energy usage upstream of the Gateway. This is important for 2 reasons:

1)
If the grid is running, the Gateway can instruct the Powerwalls to export energy to serve the backup loads AND the not-backed-up home loads. If the Powerewalls cannot provide enough energy from this, the extra needed will come from the grid.

The benefit here is that stored energy can be used to power as many loads loads as possible so that you're using your own clean energy instead of taking bad energy from the utility. Again, remember, this only works with when the grid is operational.

I think, this is what was confusing these so-called-experts-not-named-Vines. They kept saying "just use energy from the grid to power the non-backup loads!!!" Why would you want to waste your Powerwall energy on loads you didn't back up? They could not grasp that PG&E and other IOUs have time of use rates. This means taking energy from the utility during peak time was bad.

Of course, you may want to reserve power for a blackout. So you can instruct the Powerwalls to hold a certain minimum charge and stop this upstream exporting if your stored energy hits a threshold.

Naturally if the grid goes offline, then the relay in the Gateway opens up and prevents any energy from being exported upstream of the Gateway. So this benefit of metered non-backup-loads is just a way to do time of use energy management or help you feel better that your own clean energy is being used for certain things.

Bottom line, using banked power from solar on non-backup loads was actually a benefit of having Tesla Powerwalls. I wanted this benefit. The Tesla Energy sales rep actually hung up on me telling me I was a competitor shill trying to waste his time. Beyond frustrating. My first ever post on TMC was to see if I was completely off base and the Tesla Energy rep was right. I'm glad Tesla Energy was wrong.

2)
If your Tesla system can sense the upstream load, it'll help you to understand the complete picture of your total home energy consumption. Knowledge is power, and you'll benefit from knowing what energy your whole house is consuming instead of having the Tesla Energy system only see the backed-up loads.

Attachments

• 1642477171755.png
    1642477171755.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think all PW installs have a CT on the main panel. This is how they show you the current grid load. I think they need to compare what's on the grid side vs the backup side.

But I am not one hundred percent certain where this CT is placed. On my system I only have one load, my car charger, on the Main Panel. When my car chargers I can see that load in the grid and home graphs. And if the grid is down, the charger will not be supplied by power from solar or the PWs.

On this image the energy used on the far left (at midnight) is my car charging.

Screenshot_20220117-211154_Tesla.jpg

Upvote 0
"If the grid is running, the Gateway can instruct the Powerwalls to export energy to serve the backup loads AND the not-backed-up home loads. If the Powerwalls cannot provide enough energy from this, the extra needed will come from the grid."

This is exactly how my system is setup. The non-backed up items, (washer, dryer, microwave and stove), run off the solar during day and off the Powerwalls at night.

Upvote 0
This is s pretty complicated question, and I think the answer is going to generate more questions.

It sounds like your Gateway and therefore your PV and PW backup system is blind to those loads that are not in the garage (backup) panel. This can be fixed by your installer adding some CT meters to the breaker(s) in the main panel where those other loads land. Your system could also be configured to have CT meters around the main incoming feeds instead of the individual breakers.

As it stands, the PV energy will be used either to charge the battery or to offset the loads, whether pool, heat pump or otherwise. The batteries will also discharge to offset some loads depending on how they are configured in your app.

You want your CT meters configured correctly so that your Powerwalls can learn your energy usage, and therefore use the stored energy plus PV to avoid any time of use increases. Powerwalls can store cheap daytime energy and discharge during evening TOU rates.
@Vines My concern is that Tesla was my installer and they’ll balk at my request. Any suggestions? Can a 3rd party installer help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Vines My concern is that Tesla was my installer and they’ll balk at my request. Any suggestions? Can a 3rd party installer help?

One company is not going to configure another ones install, so not likely. If this wasnt done on install by tesla, there is usually some configuration reason why (location of panels vs powerwall gateway, etc.

I suspect you are going to run into a whole lot of "sorry, thats not supported in your case" with tesla, and I dont see any third party adding CTs that are not currently present. I would ask tesla but dont be surprised if you dont get anywhere.

Upvote 0
I suspect you are going to run into a whole lot of "sorry, thats not supported in your case" with tesla, and I dont see any third party adding CTs that are not currently present. I would ask tesla but dont be surprised if you dont get anywhere.
What a massive headache! I was up a lot of the night trying to research this and educate myself better so I had some idea of what I was reading in these replies.

There is definitely some disconnect somewhere b/c according to my power company (SRP) I pulled 10 kWh throughout the day however the Tesla app says I only pull 500 Watts.

It's important to note that at no time was I ever low on Powerwall "juice" nor PV supply.

1642512988674.png

Attachments

• 1642512695028.png
    1642512695028.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
What a massive headache! I was up a lot of the night trying to research this and educate myself better so I had some idea of what I was reading in these replies.

There is definitely some disconnect somewhere b/c according to my power company (SRP) I pulled 10 kWh throughout the day however the Tesla app says I only pull 500 Watts:

View attachment 757013

Thats because your loads in your main panel are not visible to the tesla app, as you already found out. Not visible in the tesla app = not visible to PV / Powerwalls, nor will that power be counted in anything telsa is monitoring.

Especially since it sounds like you had whole home backup, and they moved everything into a backup loads panel (likely with stickers on it that say " DO NOT ADD NEW LOADS"), that means your pool that you added was added to the main panel, and not visible to anything in the tesla app.

This is a load added after the conclusion of the tesla install, and is likely something you will not get changed easily. Tesla will tell you that the pool load has nothing to do with them, since it was added after the install.

Perhaps they would be willing to some out and investigate, but unless you have some existing load that was in the main panel at the time of the tesla install and either is not showing as well (thus you can say "this load that was here when you installed was not captured correctly), or you have room in the panel on the backup side for the pool electrical and tesla is willing to add a load there, you might be out of luck.

Your absolute best chance / bet here is, if you still have the contact information for the tesla electrician that did your install, you could contact them and ask if they do side work, and have them come back out and pay them on the side to take a look at it. You likely are not getting something official through tesla unless some other load was already in the main panel and also is not captured.

Reactions: BGbreeder and Vines
Upvote 0