TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Are Model 3 Brake lights adequate?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by boiler81, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. boiler81

boiler81 Member

As I look at the latest video/pics of the Model 3 at Space X, I can't help but feel that the rear combination brake lights/turn signals are marginal size and intensity. Yeh I'm sure they meet minimum DOT standards, and yes it's an Alpha prototype, but they seem to be marginal in daylight, and I'd be concerned in the fog or limited visibility situations.
    Also, where's the Center High Mounted Brake Light?

Should we expect better brake light/turn signal visibility in the Beta and Production models?

upload_2017-3-13_22-17-9.png

2. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

If the bootlid had to be redesigned to widen the opening that area would certainly be changed in some way. It won't be exactly the same as what we've seen.

3. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

I don't think the brakes were applied here.

It looks like the rear displayed lights if you had the headlights turned on.

The brake lights would be similar to the S which would be the larger surrounds with the blinker lights in the middle

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

It's probably important to note that some of the video we've seen recently with regards to Model 3 was filmed using a polarizer of some sort. Note the off color and distinct lack of, or greatly reduced, glare on most surfaces on a clear, sunny, California day.

• Informative x 1
  5. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

Here's a photo from the reveal night showing the brake lights on. They are bright enough to be blown out in the photo.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 3
  6. S3XY

S3XY Member

The center high mounted brake light is also very apparent in that photo.

7. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I hope this is the reason the brake lights appear less intense.
    The center high mounted brake light isn't visible in any of the Space X footage, so I hope it's not working, otherwise it's not visible when viewed from the lower angles:(

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The videos posted of that silver Model 3 recently cruising near SpaceX in Hawthorne was filmed in bright sunlight and the image quality isn't that great, so I am not surprised that the 3rd brake light isn't easy to see.

Seriously, do you think that Tesla is going to produce the Model 3 with inadequate brake lights? I would not be concerned about that.

9. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I'm confident the tail lights will meet standards, but I'm more concerned that if we don't post on this, we'll be stuck with "No self presenting door handles" and "Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially";)

• Funny x 5
  10. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Judging the intensity of brake or headlights during the day isn't a good yardstick. I just installed a full set of rear LED bulbs on my car, and during the day, they appear a little brighter, but at night, the difference is more dramatic.

11. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Tesla acknowledges inadequate headlights on the Model S...

12. Trips

Trips Member

It looks like they changed the tail lights. It doesn't look like they are part of the trunk anymore and do not have a sharp turn signal on the side. The video is really hard to see the side.

Tail Lights.png

Attached Files:

13. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

The poor video quality leaves a lot to the imagination. Part of me wonders whether the sections of the tail lights that are mounted on the trunk lid (the "missing" sections) are actually still present, but were simply not "wired up" during this short test. Normally I'd find that hard to believe on a so-called "release candidate" allegedly built (presumably to completion) using production tooling... but the taillights seen in the video definitely seem "incomplete" to me. Maybe it was getting late in the day and they just wanted to give it a quick road-test, regardless of such a minor issue...?

14. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

there was also not the center 3rd brake light in this morning's video.
    @Trips the outer part you are pointing to in the "missing?" photo is likely just a reflector - not a light or turn signal

15. Colsla

Colsla Member

I read on reddit today that it is required by law to have the third brake light... since 1968 or something. One of the speculation as to why it is missing in the RC was the supplier issue

16. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

the alphas had the third brake light (look up at post #5)- like @Bokonon said though, I think all the lights may not be wired up.

17. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

doubt that. my 2003 bmw doesnt have one

18. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I don't like those rear lights. I hope they go back to the original design.