Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Model 3 Brake lights adequate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I look at the latest video/pics of the Model 3 at Space X, I can't help but feel that the rear combination brake lights/turn signals are marginal size and intensity. Yeh I'm sure they meet minimum DOT standards, and yes it's an Alpha prototype, but they seem to be marginal in daylight, and I'd be concerned in the fog or limited visibility situations.
Also, where's the Center High Mounted Brake Light?

Should we expect better brake light/turn signal visibility in the Beta and Production models?

upload_2017-3-13_22-17-9.png

As I look at the latest video/pics of the Model 3 at Space X, I can't help but feel that the rear combination brake lights/turn signals are marginal size and intensity.

Also, where's the Center High Mounted Brake Light?
View attachment 218360

I don't think the brakes were applied here.

It looks like the rear displayed lights if you had the headlights turned on.

The brake lights would be similar to the S which would be the larger surrounds with the blinker lights in the middle

It's probably important to note that some of the video we've seen recently with regards to Model 3 was filmed using a polarizer of some sort. Note the off color and distinct lack of, or greatly reduced, glare on most surfaces on a clear, sunny, California day.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
It's probably important to note that some of the video we've seen recently with regards to Model 3 was filmed using a polarizer of some sort. Note the off color and distinct lack of, or greatly reduced, glare on most surfaces on a clear, sunny, California day.

I hope this is the reason the brake lights appear less intense.
The center high mounted brake light isn't visible in any of the Space X footage, so I hope it's not working, otherwise it's not visible when viewed from the lower angles:(

The center high mounted brake light isn't visible in any of the Space X footage,
The videos posted of that silver Model 3 recently cruising near SpaceX in Hawthorne was filmed in bright sunlight and the image quality isn't that great, so I am not surprised that the 3rd brake light isn't easy to see.

Seriously, do you think that Tesla is going to produce the Model 3 with inadequate brake lights? I would not be concerned about that.

The videos posted of that silver Model 3 recently cruising near SpaceX in Hawthorne was filmed in bright sunlight and the image quality isn't that great, so I am not surprised that the 3rd brake light isn't easy to see.

Seriously, do you think that Tesla is going to produce the Model 3 with inadequate brake lights? I would not be concerned about that.

Tesla acknowledges inadequate headlights on the Model S...

It looks like they changed the tail lights. It doesn't look like they are part of the trunk anymore and do not have a sharp turn signal on the side. The video is really hard to see the side.

Tail Lights.png

Attachments

• Tail Lights.png
    Tail Lights.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 57
The poor video quality leaves a lot to the imagination. Part of me wonders whether the sections of the tail lights that are mounted on the trunk lid (the "missing" sections) are actually still present, but were simply not "wired up" during this short test. Normally I'd find that hard to believe on a so-called "release candidate" allegedly built (presumably to completion) using production tooling... but the taillights seen in the video definitely seem "incomplete" to me. Maybe it was getting late in the day and they just wanted to give it a quick road-test, regardless of such a minor issue...?

Part of me wonders whether the sections of the tail lights that are mounted on the trunk lid (the "missing" sections) are actually still present, but were simply not "wired up" during this short test.
there was also not the center 3rd brake light in this morning's video.
@Trips the outer part you are pointing to in the "missing?" photo is likely just a reflector - not a light or turn signal