Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are MS owners receptive to after-market parts peddlers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was. Tesla never did call back. That alone has me canceling this morning. On the 23rd or so attempt, it turned green and charged. By that time, it was too late to get to where I was spending the night so I slept in the car. That actually worked pretty well since the climate control can stay on. However, I sure hope these non folding rear seats aren't standard now! I saw Bjorn 's video with his folded flat and that is important to me.

Anyway, I'm returning the car in a few hours.

There's probably nothing anyone can say at this point that is going to cause you to rethink your decision, but I'm going to take a shot at it anyway.

If you've been reading TMC much lately, you know that I have my issues with Tesla. I am by no means someone who thinks Tesla can do no wrong.

That being said, while I think what happened on your test drive is terrible, I also think it's not an accurate reflection of Tesla, and certainly not a reason to not purchase the car if you really were otherwise going to.

The issue with the charging you must be smart enough to realize was probably a 1 in 10,000 or even a 1 in 100,000 occurrence. You know there are thousands and thousands of owners charging all the time, with problems like the one you experienced being extremely rare. Part of the issue could have been your inexperience in inserting the charging plug, but more likely there was an issue with the car that just hadn't been noticed, because it had not been being driven regularly, or had not been taken to a supercharger regularly. It must have been annoying as hell for you, and I certainly understand why you'd be angry, but as a one-off, I just don't see it as a reason not to purchase the car, because you know it's not a recurring problem with the Model S.

The problem with you not getting a call back is, in my opinion, a greater concern, and one I don't have an explanation for. Perhaps somehow your contact info wasn't recorded properly because you had the car as a test drive car, and they just couldn't get back to you. (Imagine your number had to be written down and a cup of coffee spilled on it, for example.) While there have been some complaints by people on TMC about roadside assistance taking what they believe is too long to get back to them in situations like yours, I don't believe I've ever read of any where the person just wasn't contacted again, as you weren't. So in that sense, that too would seem to be an extremely rare occurrence.

There are many good reasons to consider purchasing a Model S, as well as a few very valid reasons to really think about whether or not a company as young as Tesla is one you want to purchase such an expensive car from. But in my opinion, as frustrating as your experience was, if I were you I'd take a couple of days to settle down, and then start weighing the pros and cons again, rather than making a quick decision now, because you're angry.

I realize this advice is a lot easier to give from thousands of miles away. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm back home in Kelowna now. That was quite the experience :)

You know what I like best about the prospect of Tesla ownership? The intelligence and consideration level of the owners. Seriously, I've used so many forums where I would have expected responses like, "yeah cause you're an idiot" and/or simply "LOL fail!", etc. So this is refreshing. Below I'll address some comments/questions and then summarize what went down and how it wrapped up.

I assume you tried all of the available Supercharger at Hope.
I guess you must have tried others so it was probably the car.
Part of the issue could have been your inexperience in inserting the charging plug, but more likely there was an issue with the car that just hadn't been noticed
Yes, I tried all 6. After 3 I figured there was little reason to try the other 3, but I was sitting there doing not much so it made more sense than twiddling my thumbs. I concluded the same... something wrong with the car, or else I was doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out what as I imagined they would have shown me how if there was a trick to it.

Personally, I'd rate the customer service as excellent from the local Service Center.
I'll agree with that. Powell told me I could have called his cell and he would have taken care of it. I believe that. These people seem very dedicated and I would suggest Tesla has a very competent HR department with a good skill at employee selection. Perhaps the call center is outsourced or underfunded, I don't know.

I think is Hope is great.
I was frustrated. I shouldn't have taken it out with my disparaging comments on the fine town of Hope. I was under the influence from all the pot wafting in the air (I think the specific location of the chargers is a bit sketchy) and I'm biased because a *#$# of an ex-girlfriend was from there... but yeah, Hope is a great place and I shouldn't have said what I said. Ah heck, the girl was a fine girl too... at least to the other guy(s).

After you returned the car, did Tesla give you an explanation of what could have happened? I can understand that you will not be satisfied with any excuses. We are just curious to know how Tesla Vancouver handle the failed test drive (if I may call it that way).

With the charging, yes. With the customer service... he said he'd look into it and that he's never heard of somebody not being called back (more on that below).

So with the charging... after waiting and waiting for tech support, I read through the manual and determined I was doing it right. The message kept indicating I didn't have it in all the way. Being stranded and it not being my car (poor attitude, perhaps) with no help (so attitude perhaps justified)... I decided to give it a shove. Then a bit of a whack. The whack made it turn green briefly, then yellow again. That was the first time I saw green. So I gave it one more really hard shot. To give you an idea, I'm not a little old man. I'm a healthy 260 lb 6'4" 39 year old. I'm no weakling. So when I say I gave it a hard shot... I realize that's relative, but I mean it. Had I not lined it up well, I'm certain it would have dented the car or at least chipped the paint. I'm just stressing that so you realize it was abnormal. But it worked and I charged it for an unknown amount of time while I continued reading the manual and playing with the settings. It was well past midnight and my place to sleep was no longer available to me, so I drove to Squamish for the heck of it and tried those chargers too. On the first try, I gave it a stern push but not nearly as hard. It worked on that first try. I slept in the car while it charged overnight. That wasn't particularly comfortable, because this car had the (I'm told "rare") executive rear seats that don't fold down and have a big plastic console so you can't even attempt to curl up in the back. So I was front-seating it. But the climate control worked flawlessly and I was able to get a few hours sleep until some huge delivery truck scared the stuffing out of me at 6:30. I killed some time at Stanley Park before making my way, somewhat refreshed, to Tesla Vancouver where Powell greeted me and listened while I expressed my concerns. One of the first things he did was have me use the charge connector in the showroom and it was immediately obvious that what I experienced was abnormal. As you all know, it does not take much force at all. I think he had someone check out the car I was using and they said it didn't require any abnormal force (maybe they meant last time they charged it, I'm not sure), so the theory is perhaps some debris was there and I dislodged it. I can accept that.

Now, as for tech support. After calmly discussing it with Powell and going over the events in my head... and also just logically that they wouldn't enjoy a good customer service reputation if this was the norm... I have to concede that perhaps I screwed up and gave them the wrong number or, as one of you suggested, a simple mistake was made on their end. Either way, we're all human so if someone (me or them) made a mistake, so be it. It doesn't explain why I never got a human in the first 20-30 minutes before leaving my number to the call-back service, but whatever. With Powell's word that I can call him... I can accept that. Plus, I'm just not that unlucky so I think I got my lemon out of the way and it wasn't even mine :)

So I take back the "decision" to not buy based on this strange experience. However... the test drive other than that was not all roses. I have unexpected pluses, and I have unexpected minuses. Those go along with the pluses and minuses I knew going in. I guess I have < 24 hours now to make the call. The test drive was immensely valuable in giving me more data to work with, but I'm afraid it hasn't made my decision any easier!

Sorry for the book.

- Steven

BCSteeve, appreciate the follow-up to the story! Good luck on the decision. I have also found that test drives make some car decisions harder, but hope it helps you to be more informed and comfortable-whether you buy or pass!

Yes, I too appreciate the follow-up story. I find your posts well written and entertaining, and I laughed out loud at your reply comments about Hope. You really need to buy a Tesla, just so we can continue to read your posts. And look at it this way, the chance of you having another car that has problems charging at the SC's is minuscule. It's like lightening striking twice. And best that the test car took the hit!

I've observed some new owners having issues with SC as well, I noticed they would go from SC with the charge port opened. After the second or third time I Went over and closed their port door and had them reopen it and plug in successfully.

Sounds like you had some debris in the charging port. It was likely preventing the connector from seating all the way.

I make a habit of blowing hard into the end of a SC connector before I connect it, sometimes there is a little crud in there.

Yes, I too appreciate the follow-up story. I find your posts well written and entertaining, and I laughed out loud at your reply comments about Hope. You really need to buy a Tesla, just so we can continue to read your posts. And look at it this way, the chance of you having another car that has problems charging at the SC's is minuscule. It's like lightening striking twice. And best that the test car took the hit!

I appreciate that, thank you. Funny you mention it... I was struck by lightning as a teen. OK, not directly, but they say I was very lucky. It actually it the gutter of the 1-story building I was walking beside. I still remember the smell in the air right before it hit. I can't describe it, but I remember it. Funny smell, my hair on my arms stuck out and loud popping in the headphones I was wearing then a flash and I was on the ground with my hair smoking.

So yeah, I'm good because lighting striking three times is surely very rare.

I went over my list of pros and cons with my wife this evening. She asked me what my gut tells me and I immediately answered "buy it". Then I said my brain tells me "don't buy it" and "my heart says to do whatever you want, honey"... to which she saw right through, rolled her eyes and walked out of the room with no advice whatsover.

If I was forced to give an answer at this moment, it would be the least committal. I would keep the purchase in place, sacrificing the $2500 deposit to effectively put off my decision for 4-5 months. At this point it is a 85D in blue with the only option being auto pilot and panoramic roof.

Hey, on my cons list after the test drive I added 'wind noise'. It actually annoyed me quite a bit on the freeway, the wind above my head. I didn't notice it on the initial 15 minutes test drive I did last month. The car I drove then had a solid roof and this one had the panoramic. I noticed the panoramic isn't as nice as my smart's (you have to sort of look behind you to appreciate it. With my smart, you just look up) and I've had sunroofs before that never got a single second of open time. The roof-rack thing is not a concern more me either, so I think I might ditch the panoramic to save the money on a feature I wasn't really impressed with but also to hopefully eliminate that wind noise. Do you think the roof makes a difference with the noise? Or just my imagination? I understand the panoramic also adds some headroom, and I am tall... but I didn't find headroom to be an issue with the short test drive I did anyway.

Hey, on my cons list after the test drive I added 'wind noise'. It actually annoyed me quite a bit on the freeway, the wind above my head. I didn't notice it on the initial 15 minutes test drive I did last month. The car I drove then had a solid roof and this one had the panoramic. I noticed the panoramic isn't as nice as my smart's (you have to sort of look behind you to appreciate it. With my smart, you just look up) and I've had sunroofs before that never got a single second of open time. The roof-rack thing is not a concern more me either, so I think I might ditch the panoramic to save the money on a feature I wasn't really impressed with but also to hopefully eliminate that wind noise. Do you think the roof makes a difference with the noise? Or just my imagination? I understand the panoramic also adds some headroom, and I am tall... but I didn't find headroom to be an issue with the short test drive I did anyway.

I opted to pass on the panoramic roof, for reasons similar to the ones you mention: I never used the "moonroof" on my Acura, and I was most concerned with having the cabin be as quiet as possible. I was advised that there would be less wind noise and that I'd have a quieter cabin with the solid roof.

I did have a very obvious wind noise issue at highway speeds when I took delivery. That has been improved upon, but there is still some wind noise that a tech could hear when he rode with me, but he claims it is normal. It may be normal, but I still find it annoying. I read something on TMC not too long ago about a rumored second generation door seal or window seal or something, so perhaps that will improve the wind noise issue. If so, I sure hope it is retrofittable.

If a quiet cabin is very important to you, I'd definitely suggest test driving a solid roof model S, and seeing what you think.

I appreciate that, thank you. Funny you mention it... I was struck by lightning as a teen. OK, not directly, but they say I was very lucky. It actually it the gutter of the 1-story building I was walking beside. I still remember the smell in the air right before it hit. I can't describe it, but I remember it. Funny smell, my hair on my arms stuck out and loud popping in the headphones I was wearing then a flash and I was on the ground with my hair smoking.

So yeah, I'm good because lighting striking three times is surely very rare.

I went over my list of pros and cons with my wife this evening. She asked me what my gut tells me and I immediately answered "buy it". Then I said my brain tells me "don't buy it" and "my heart says to do whatever you want, honey"... to which she saw right through, rolled her eyes and walked out of the room with no advice whatsover.

If I was forced to give an answer at this moment, it would be the least committal. I would keep the purchase in place, sacrificing the $2500 deposit to effectively put off my decision for 4-5 months. At this point it is a 85D in blue with the only option being auto pilot and panoramic roof.

Regarding Pano roof, for me headroom is the only reason to get Pano, since I have never used any of the moonroofs in my last 4 cars. I am not tall, just 5'11", but even so I can't sit in the backseat of a solid top S without my head touching the headliner; with Pano I have about an inch clearance, maybe slightly more.

Now before you say it, I realize that I won't be driving from the back seat (at least until Auto Pilot self driving version comes out) but I do have fairly tall family members and friends who I think would feel cramped in the back seat.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get a Model S for an overnight test drive?

bcsteeve I had the same problem when I got my Tesla. It would never start charging when I tried to plug it into the wall at home... would always ask me to re-connect.

I was able to ID the problem after a few days and calls...

PROBLEM/BUG: If you manually push on the charge port door to open it... like I had done previously with gasoline cars... the car will not accept a charge. It's almost like it gets into a weird state.

SOLUTION: You must press the button on the charger cable to open the door electronically. If you don't do this... many times it simply won't start to charge.

That's not in the manual either... but I videotaped it and it's repeatable.

bcsteeve I had the same problem when I got my Tesla. It would never start charging when I tried to plug it into the wall at home... would always ask me to re-connect.

PROBLEM/BUG: If you manually push on the charge port door to open it... like I had done previously with gasoline cars... the car will not accept a charge. It's almost like it gets into a weird state.

SOLUTION: You must press the button on the charger cable to open the door electronically. If you don't do this... many times it simply won't start to charge.

Thanks and good to know. Could it be that pushing the button on the charger cable initiates some routine in the computer to be ready to accept charge?

That wouldn't have been what happened to me. It didn't occur to me to try to push the charge port door to open it. I did what I thought would be intuitive for an advanced car like this and I grabbed the "hose", and brought it near the car. When the door didn't open by itself, I pressed the button on the charge connector and then it did open. I plugged it in, and it turned yellow and there was a "click" that sounded like it latched/locked which, to me, meant it was working. I figured yellow was charging and it would go green when it was done. When I realized this wasn't the case, I tried again and again with various methods. As I said, I eventually read the manual and determined I did do it right the first time. In the end, it was resolved with brute force. If I had a time machine, I would go back and try looking carefully for debris first to see if something was lodged somewhere. It might have been resolved simply by blowing into the hole. You know... get her all hot and bothered first, and not just go sticking things in without asking.

Are you sure this isn't a problem with your car? I often manually push it, and my car has never refused to charge because of it.

I came to a decision today. I have until tomorrow night to confirm.

85D. Blue. Pano roof. Auto Pilot. Air Suspension. Thazzit. Since I can still make changes, I'm open to input. I wasn't going to go with the roof except the advisor told me virtually 100% do and not having it may affect resale. Whatever. I can't make up my mind on any of this so I may as well let him do it. I wasn't going to do the suspension either, but my wife (who up to this point gave me virtually no input) said she thought that would be worth it for snow. I hummed and hawed about maybe dropping down to the 70D and saving almost 12k, but I also hummed and hawed about adding $3.5k and going to the 90D.

I have it set to build 6 months out. That'll give me time to finish my current project anyway, and then I'll know if I can really afford this thing or not. If not, OK I'm out the $2500* but that's the risk vs. paying the $9k higher prices since the Canadian figures were adjusted earlier this week.

* and I have it in writing that despite what the purchase agreement says, I wouldn't lose the $2500 anyway and I could use it toward a Model 3. So I take some comfort in that.

ps. I had more trouble with the national call folks. This time I called the sales line to ask when exactly my 7 day cutoff is. Does "midnight" mean the first minute of tomorrow, or the last minute of tomorrow? Technically it is the first minute but there's often confusion with that interpretation (and it turns out they do mean the end of the day, not the beginning). Anyway, I won't go so far as to call the guy "rude", but considering I identified myself as someone with a deposit that gets locked in within the next so many hours, you'd think he'd be helpful and looking to close, not disinterested and doing his best to give me a reason to walk away. He actually said, "yeah whatever man" to me when I suggested they should be more clear on when exactly the 7 days is up and I could hear him loudly chewing gum during the brief conversation.

Well, whatever man. Tesla should really thank Powell @ Robson Tesla in Vancouver for being awesome, the group of owners here on TMC, and Bjorn, of course... because they all did more for selling me on the car than even the car itself did.

Se ya'll at the chargers in February.

pps. Any events I should know about that might make me want an earlier delivery? Do you guys do events? That was the thing to do in the smart car community back when it was interesting.

Personally I'd think that the lack of the tech package would impact resale more than the pano roof, but I don't know for sure. You'll find almost infinite discussions on TMC about spec levels, and we all have our opinions...I find the pano really noisy when open, so I very, very rarely use it. It was also the cause of 3 SC visits (creaking), but that was something that a lot of the early VINs suffered from, and has now been fixed. I probably wouldn't get it again.