Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are mudflap options available for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the mudflap will be covered by the tire anyway... Would love to prevent rocks from being flung at the paint.

True but it takes very little to increase wind resistance, and it may take a very small obstruction to turn a fairly large laminar flow into turbulent flow. Outside mirrors, roof racks, etc., can do it.

Even most of the Tesla wheels are designed to move air like a fan to balance air pressures and decrease air resistance at speed. Mud flaps may well interrupt the air flow along the wheel opening and further back.

I don’t say don’t use the mud flaps, just know they may have an effect on range and that effect may seem out of proportion to the size of the mud flaps.

You could apply a protective film, that’ll protect the paint from rocks. I might use the film even if mud flaps are installed.

True but it takes very little to increase wind resistance, and it may take a very small obstruction to turn a fairly large laminar flow into turbulent flow. Outside mirrors, roof racks, etc., can do it.

Even most of the Tesla wheels are designed to move air like a fan to balance air pressures and decrease air resistance at speed. Mud flaps may well interrupt the air flow along the wheel opening and further back.

I don’t say don’t use the mud flaps, just know they may have an effect on range and that effect may seem out of proportion to the size of the mud flaps.

You could apply a protective film, that’ll protect the paint from rocks. I might use the film even if mud flaps are installed.

So basically you are advocating for retractable mudflaps, which automatically retract at a set speed limit? :p:D

I've been using the carbon fiber mudflaps I made that I posted on the first page for over a year and haven't seen any significant hits to my wh/mi avg since they been installed. If anything the tire poke causes more range loss than the mud flap because how wide I created mine stick out is only about the width of the tire to prevent any rock damage to rear doors/quarter panel.

So basically you are advocating for retractable mudflaps, which automatically retract at a set speed limit? :p:D

No, I didn’t say any of that. Making up a silly idea for an unworkable contraption then saying that I advocate use of such a device is insultingly inaccurate.

I assume you meant it as funny. External mirrors are a significant cause of wind resistance. Putting a little wind sail behind each wheel may well be worthy of thought.

Last edited:
No, I didn’t say any of that. Making up a silly idea for an unworkable contraption then saying that I advocate use of such a device is insultingly inaccurate.

I assume you meant it as funny. External mirrors are a significant cause of wind resistance. Putting a little wind sail behind each wheel may well be worthy of thought.

Clearly I should keep my day job and not go into comedy :)

• Funny
Reactions: shthpnz
Did you get these yet? I’m intrigued but worried they would look out of place on a white car. I am getting tired of scrubbing tar off the doors and right behind the rear wheels.
Not yet, they’ve just been posted but I’ll post pictures when I fit them so others can make their own judgement. There’s a video online of them being fitted and although they make a bit of a hash of it - it would be easier with the wheels removed - the final fit looked good.

Reactions: Jard
Not yet, they’ve just been posted but I’ll post pictures when I fit them so others can make their own judgement. There’s a video online of them being fitted and although they make a bit of a hash of it - it would be easier with the wheels removed - the final fit looked good.

Thanks!

I just pulled the rear bumper off my car and installed a hitch last weekend so I’m not worried about installation. I’m more worried about final aesthetics. Looking forward to seeing pics!

Reactions: gbailey
Thanks!

I just pulled the rear bumper off my car and installed a hitch last weekend so I’m not worried about installation. I’m more worried about final aesthetics. Looking forward to seeing pics!
Just fitted the mudflaps. An easy job made easier by removing the wheels which gave better access to the clips I had to remove and refit. I have ppf over the whole car however these add extra protection and also stop dirt from the road splashing up the side of the car.

Very pleased with the way they look and fit. No extra noise when cruising at speed either. No noticeable impact on range. Temperature, speed and hills are likely to have a greater effect. B1048418-4024-4B45-8B8F-EFEBE974D5C7.jpeg1884FD1E-EED5-4AB6-BF51-BCC6E9352FA3.jpeg464DCADF-DB56-47A5-9B1A-FB770F745FDD.jpeg

Reactions: Jard