Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Mudflaps Needed if PPF will be Present?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be taking delivery of a MYP in May (or so the app says right now haha). I will be getting the whole vehicle wrapped in XPEL Stealth PPF immediately after taking delivery. My main goal is to prevent any of that terrible rear door/rocker panel damage that I've seen so often on the internet. Would it be advisable to install mudflaps on the vehicle in addition to the PPF to prevent that type of damage? Or should the PPF provide sufficient protection? I won't install mudflaps if it seems like they won't make much of a difference, but if it would be beneficial I will definitely do that. Thanks!

I have full body SunTek ppf on my MYP as well as front mudflaps. Not only do the mudflaps protect you from rocks and other road debris, but of course, it also helps block mud from splashing up.

When you're looking for mudflaps, you'll find two general styles. The set from Tesla, which is what I chose, are straight. Alternative brands will have a scooped shape. Some people complain Tesla's mudflaps are too long and brush against speedbumps, but I have never experienced them hit anything and I prefer the larger surface area for better coverage.

There seems to be a consensus here haha. I'd hoped they wouldn't be needed just because I don't really like the look of them, but yeah there's not a point in getting PPF installed if it's still likely to get chewed up by the debris without mudflaps. Thanks, everyone!

There seems to be a consensus here haha. I'd hoped they wouldn't be needed just because I don't really like the look of them, but yeah there's not a point in getting PPF installed if it's still likely to get chewed up by the debris without mudflaps. Thanks, everyone!
Keep in mind, you would really only need the front set of mudflaps. In fact, Tesla only sells a set for the front, not the back. The rear mudflaps don't offer much protection for your own car; they're more for the cars behind you. I feel like most people get all 4 mudflaps mainly for aesthetic balance. If you do end up getting all 4, check out some of the threads here about installing the rear set. Long story short, there's a bolt you need to remove that infamously has a weak spot weld that can easily become detached.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Keep in mind, you would really only need the front set of mudflaps. In fact, Tesla only sells a set for the front, not the back. The rear mudflaps don't offer much protection for your own car; they're more for the cars behind you. I feel like most people get all 4 mudflaps mainly for aesthetic balance. If you do end up getting all 4, check out some of the threads here about installing the rear set. Long story short, there's a bolt you need to remove that infamously has a weak spot weld that can easily become detached.
I am very familiar with the process for the rear installation but think that only having mudflaps on the front will look weird. That's why I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary. Removing that 10mm bolt has caused a lot of people a lot of heartache lol I'm thinking I'll get Abstract Ocean or somebody's mudflaps and only install the front two and if the look really bothers me I'll dare to venture forward with the rear ones.

IMO, both are needed to help mitigate rocks getting thrown up to the door.

I have both mud flaps and PPF on the entire lower section of my rear door. I can see where rocks have hit the PPF (which will heal itself in the sun), but also see where dirt & road grime gets thrown up on the car. The mud flaps get dirty so I can see how they stop a lot of dirt & rocks from making its way down the side of the car. It's not perfect, but the more protection the better.

I am very familiar with the process for the rear installation but think that only having mudflaps on the front will look weird. That's why I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary. Removing that 10mm bolt has caused a lot of people a lot of heartache lol I'm thinking I'll get Abstract Ocean or somebody's mudflaps and only install the front two and if the look really bothers me I'll dare to venture forward with the rear ones.
Right, like I said, aesthetic balance. It's a matter of preference. I like only having the front set, but it's up to you. The MY is a relatively low car, so the mudflaps don't draw too much attention to themselves. Here's a pic of my MYP with the front set on.
277004786_10160088375648699_1715756395048783399_n.jpg

Reactions: BitJam and MD048
I've had PPF with ceramic coating since I bought the MYP. I don't have mudflaps and me personally, have not needed them. I don't live where there is snow and salt and don't see any problems with my paint. Just my opinion...
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing! I guess I should have specified that I live in Northern Utah so we definitely get snow, ice, and the accompanying salt on the roads in the winter.

Right, like I said, aesthetic balance. It's a matter of preference. I like only having the front set, but it's up to you. The MY is a relatively low car, so the mudflaps don't draw too much attention to themselves. Here's a pic of my MYP with the front set on.
View attachment 796111
I love the look you've got going! I wanted the black color but heard that keeping a black car looking clean is a full-time job, so I tried to keep it stealthy but lower maintenance by going with the gray instead. Hopefully, I don't end up regretting it lol

I've had PPF with ceramic coating since I bought the MYP. I don't have mudflaps and me personally, have not needed them. I don't live where there is snow and salt and don't see any problems with my paint. Just my opinion...
So, long term, you haven’t had any rocks or debris penetrate the PPF on the lower or door sill areas? No dirt under the PPF?

Same situation as you:

PPF
ceramic coating
socal, no snow

Considering mudflaps but they’re’ ugly and add drag

So, long term, you haven’t had any rocks or debris penetrate the PPF on the lower or door sill areas? No dirt under the PPF?

Same situation as you:

PPF
ceramic coating
socal, no snow

Considering mudflaps but they’re’ ugly and add drag
Correct, no rocks or debris penetrating the PPF, nowhere really.

I did add front and rear mudflaps bc I was bored and wanted a project to work on. They def keep the road spray down and off the side and rear when it rains. I feel I have less splatter when it rains and less need to wash the vehicle, especially with the PPF and ceramic.

Reactions: Manbutter