Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are new 85D deliveries in December affecting prior orders with December dates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed my Model S delivery on the 19th of September. The dashboard shows delivery in December.

I can see in various threads that just-confirmed Model D deliveries are showing December, too.

How is this working? I would think that just-confirmed deliveries would be subject to the same roughly three month wait that most orders have.

How is Tesla queuing-in brand-new orders of the D into Q4 2014? Will my car's delivery be accelerated earlier? While that would be nice, I don't expect it.

Yeah.... not too happy with my wait either. I confirmed 8/18 and have yet to receive a VIN. Orders made today for the same exact S85 config as mine also show December delivery, and my dashboard has shown "Dececember" for weeks.

I confirmed my Model S delivery on the 19th of September. The dashboard shows delivery in December.

I can see in various threads that just-confirmed Model D deliveries are showing December, too.

How is this working? I would think that just-confirmed deliveries would be subject to the same roughly three month wait that most orders have.

How is Tesla queuing-in brand-new orders of the D into Q4 2014? Will my car's delivery be accelerated earlier? While that would be nice, I don't expect it.

They did just bring up a new and improved manufacturing line, increasing their daily production rate. So I'm guessing The D's are coming out of this new capacity.

I also wouldn't be surprised if some S60 orders got bumped from December to January.

From what I've read, Tesla has always prioritized P orders over S orders, so I would suspect that will be the case on the new P85D cars as well. OTOH, it's a new product with a bunch of new technology (new interior, electromechanical brakes, whole front drivetrain,) so they're going to want to move slowly and make sure they have all the kinks worked out before they produce too many of them. I'd think they'll slide small batches of P85Ds into a mix with the existing orders for a while.
Walter

From what I've read, Tesla has always prioritized P orders over S orders, so I would suspect that will be the case on the new P85D cars as well. OTOH, it's a new product with a bunch of new technology (new interior, electromechanical brakes, whole front drivetrain,) so they're going to want to move slowly and make sure they have all the kinks worked out before they produce too many of them. I'd think they'll slide small batches of P85Ds into a mix with the existing orders for a while.
Walter

The design studio used to say that. Now it seems that 85, P85 and P85D builds are given priority. Based on what I've seen location and other factors are a lot more important than P or not.

I don't know where you are getting your delivery schedules from for the 60, 85, P85, and D models.

Looking at the most recent order page, the 60, 85, P85 and P85D have deliveries scheduled for December and 60D and 85D have deliveries scheduled for Feb 2015.

So the only change in delivery schedule after introduction of the D series is the insertion of the P85D into deliveries scheduled for 2014.

With the probability that some existing orders will be converted to P85D's and with ramp-up of the new assembly lines - I don't think there will be an impact on deliveries of the single motor Tesla Models for 4Q.

I was wondering the same thing. I have an S85/Pano/Tech confirmed on 8/19 to deliver to Dallas. Today I finally got my VIN but am still showing December as the delivery date. Was originally November but then was pushed back. I sent a message to my DS but have yet to hear back. I would say they are pretty busy converting orders.

Today (10/23), my Dashboard now shows Late November for the delivery date!