TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are Next Gen seats causing seat belt fitting issues?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jkliu47, Mar 5, 2016.

1. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

We just replaced a 2013 Model S 85 with a brand new 2016 Model S 85D last month, and the autopilot feature has been getting all my attention :smile:.

However something has come up which has thrown my wife for a loop.

The driver side seat belts have been giving her a fit. Literally. Somehow, she just cannot adjust her seat position and belt to a comfortable fit. It invariably digs into her around the neck/collarbone area. I don't have an issue with that. (I am 6'0" and she is 5'6").

Now this never happened with our 2013 Model S. Could it be the difference is the Next Gen seats in the 2016 85D vs standard seats in the older 2013?

2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Seat belt on my 70D with next gen seats drives me nuts too. I put a lambs wool cover on the belt and it helps quite a bit. I sure wish the belt height was adjustable. I'm 5'9" and really close to the average male height so you would think it would be comfortable at that height.

3. Jian Yang

Jian Yang Member

I think the problem is solvable on the co-pilot seat by raising the seat.

• Like x 1
  4. Thumper

Thumper Member

What is really needed is an adjustable upper seat belt attachment point. On many/most cars this can be raised or lowered to accommodate passenger comfort and safety. Tesla needs this. My wife and I thought about upgrading to autopilot but she doesn't want to spend the money until she can at least have the seatbelt not dig into her neck. Come on Tesla!

5. Pinarello

Pinarello Member

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm 5'5" and the seat belt it too high and cuts into my neck. My wife is 5'2" and it's even worse for her. The other 3 ICE vehicles I own (Jeep, Toyota and Ford) all have adjustable seatbelt heights. Not a whole lot you can do when they are not adjustable. :crying:

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member