Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are off peak hours disregarded if the car remains plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im a little confused and hope someone knows the answer to this: if I have off peak hours set to start at 10pm, but at 2pm (super peak hours) I turn climate on from the app and my charger is still plugged in, will it still use power from the wall or the car battery?

Basically, are off peak hours disregarded if the car remains plugged in? Will it always favor electricity from your home vs the battery?

This thread may help you determine what triggers battery vs wall connector usage:

Since the specific question you are asking is around the new scheduled charging feature, I would say " you should test it and let us know". My guess is, it will pull from the wall when you trigger it, because you are overriding the scheduled charging setting by triggering something manually.

Thats what I believe will happen, but dont know for a fact. If you test it yourself, please come back and let everyone else know,

This thread may help you determine what triggers battery vs wall connector usage:

Since the specific question you are asking is around the new scheduled charging feature, I would say " you should test it and let us know". My guess is, it will pull from the wall when you trigger it, because you are overriding the scheduled charging setting by triggering something manually.

Thats what I believe will happen, but dont know for a fact. If you test it yourself, please come back and let everyone else know,
Well from all of my testing so far, Ive noticed that my charge goes down when it’s connected to the wall and I turn climate on.

Well from all of my testing so far, Ive noticed that my charge goes down when it’s connected to the wall and I turn climate on.

If the battery drops a few percent from using up power to precondition, it will trigger the wall connector to refill the battery. I am fairly certain that your scheduled charging time settings will not prevent that, but that is what you would be looking to test.

A relevant quote from the thread I linked you to, regarding "what uses shore power" is:

It will pretty much only use the charge station for larger loads (charging, heating). The car still draws small amounts of power (plugged in or not), but these will be directly served by the battery rather than the wall power. This usage indirectly shows up as charging more than otherwise expected based on trip meter calculations ("phantom drain").

The recommendation to always plug in is a fairly non-detrimental suggestion that simply lets you avoid most issues you'd experience otherwise. There's a lot of cases where you can use more power than expected while parked, and being plugged in means you won't be surprised with not being able to make it to work in the morning. The car maintains itself perfectly fine when not plugged in, it just might do something you're not expecting. Rather than explain all these behaviours, simply "keep it plugged in" is short and sweet and does the job.

Both things are true.

The basic summary of the behaviour is any large draw will (eventually) trigger the use of wall power. Small draws (e.g. just the car being awake for any reason including Sentry) will use battery power alone until the percentage drops a couple points, then it will recharge to the target percentage.

Any form of heating, cabin or battery, won't be a "small" draw, so these typically engage the wall power fairly quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Basically, are off peak hours disregarded if the car remains plugged in? Will it always favor electricity from your home vs the battery?
Yeah, the "off peak" things are about scheduled charging cycles. But if you turn on the heating or cooling on purpose for any reason, that is a different thing, and it will always start drawing from your circuit to provide that instead of from the battery. They've always worked that way.