Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Ontario EV Credits Ending?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Visiting a Tesla dealership in Toronto yesterday, a salesperson suggested that Ontario EV credits/incentives were likely to get cancelled in January, and that I should rush to order a ‘new inventory’ vehicle to take advantage while still possible.

Is there any evidence that backs this up? I searched both Google and this forum, and I don’t see much, even anecdotal.

I’m trying to decide if it’s worth making some small sacrifices for an in-stock vehicle as opposed to just ordering the car I want for February delivery. If the incentives will still exist in February, I’m happy to wait for my perfect Model S; if credits are likely to end before then though, I’ll definitely make some small sacrifices...

Any input very much appreciated. Sorry if this has been discussed already and I missed it.

I don't see any reason they would under the current government. However it's an election year in 2018 and the thought is that the Progressive Conservatives, if given a majority government, will walk back many of the spendier ideas the Wynn liberals put in place, and the ev program is pretty high on that list. You can read Patrick Brown's piece on this online.

Will that be retroactive to Jan 1 2018? I kind of doubt it. Election is in June. Jan 1 2019 I would guess. Nor after the election. But I don't see how they would retroactively cancel it.

I like the people at Tesla at Lawrence, and they're not pushy, but one person told me that I should order by the 30th because the interest rates would go up after that time, and I wouldn't want to be paying "5 or 6% interest." Now, interest rates could always go up, but obviously they wouldn't go up from 1.99% to 5%..... So yeah

The policy has changed in the new year the last couple years, usually in Feb or march, retroactive to Jan 1st. 2 yrs ago teslas were disqualified for being too expensive, but anyone who had already ordered before the announcement was grandfathered. Then last year they modified the price limit which allowed teslas to take advantage again. I wouldn't be surprised if something changes again.

The Lawrence person I was dealing with also pressured me the same way, but couldn't identify a vehicle that I was happy with in the inventory pipeline. I placed a custom order for a Model X, and a different person (from Yorkdale, I believe) phoned me to ask my exact requirements and was able to match my vehicle except for the interior colour, which was my second choice (white, which I am still a bit stressed I might regret but I do like the look of at the moment).

Tesla has definitely motivated their people to try to move existing inventory and given that they're haemorrhaging cash, their service is beyond sub-par, and the Model 3 is positioned to gut their sales of the higher end vehicles it makes reasonable sense to me that they should want to move vehicles out of their inventory before year-end.

All that said, it is not impossible that changes could come, and it's easy to imagine a political stance about removing the incentive from EVs in this price range. The average Ontario resident would certainly feel that a $14,000 incentive on a $150,000 car is poor use of their tax dollars (never mind that the top 1% pay 20% of the taxes). For me, 14,000 birds in the hand were worth a little angst over the interior colour vs the safe black choice and 14,000 birds in the bush.

I'm not surprised to hear this from the Lawrence crew. My OA called me before I bought and said "rates are going up after the end of the month, better order now!". Of course they didn't go up. (I ordered anyway...) So while they might not be on comission like regular dealers, there is clearly some sort of incentive for them to push the truth here. I don't believe this EV credit story for a minute. We would have heard about it already. I don't like the direction that at least some sales centers (or is it all Tesla) in this regard.

The cars very much sell themselves, we don't need this crap.

Are you prepared to spend this kind of money on a vehicle that isn't quite what you want? Every time you slide behind the wheel, will you cheer "I love this car!", or will you instead be reminding yourself "I like this car and I got $14,000"? You deserve the Tesla of your dreams! You are WORTH IT.

You're welcome. :)

Is there any evidence that backs this up? I searched both Google and this forum, and I don’t see much, even anecdotal.

The province has reviewed and adjusted EVIP, I believe, every year the program has been in place. They have not announced anything, but it is probably a safe bet that something will change. They are headed into an election against a party that wants to eliminate such things and may want to "water EVIP down" to make it more palatable to voters.

They're not on commission...

They seem to act like it. Not only stuff like this. I have been emailed and called on my cell phone numerous times about trading my car in for a new one even from a Tesla rep as far away as New York City. When I told him I was in Canada, he said it didn't matter because sales were global or something like that. I was never contacted by any ICE dealer as much as I have been by Tesla like this. I personally don't mind and they have always been polite... but just sayin'.

They seem to act like it. Not only stuff like this. I have been emailed and called on my cell phone numerous times about trading my car in for a new one even from a Tesla rep as far away as New York City. When I told him I was in Canada, he said it didn't matter because sales were global or something like that. I was never contacted by any ICE dealer as much as I have been by Tesla like this. I personally don't mind and they have always been polite... but just sayin'.

I had a couple of contacts about trading my car over the years, but they were always friendly and polite.

Everyone does this. Everyone wants you to keep paying for a vehicle.
Ever since I fully paid off my Miata 5yrs ago, the persistent mail, email and a few phone calls asking me if I want to trade it in for a new model has been like clock work.

After visiting the Lawrence delivery center this a few weekends ago, I'm a little convinced the place operates kinda like a cult. Don't get me wrong, I admire the enthusiasm, but to have owners just linger around the lobby answering questions out of their own time and free will?! Nope, I dont' buy that. They're there to nudge you into a new Tesla whether you're ready for it or not.

I will gladly wait to see what comes of the Model 3. My present car can last me another year or 2 easily. Unless they somehow offer a Model S for the price of the 3, I'll be patiently waiting for my turn at obtaining a Model 3.

Everyone does this. Everyone wants you to keep paying for a vehicle.
Ever since I fully paid off my Miata 5yrs ago, the persistent mail, email and a few phone calls asking me if I want to trade it in for a new model has been like clock work.

After visiting the Lawrence delivery center this a few weekends ago, I'm a little convinced the place operates kinda like a cult. Don't get me wrong, I admire the enthusiasm, but to have owners just linger around the lobby answering questions out of their own time and free will?! Nope, I dont' buy that. They're there to nudge you into a new Tesla whether you're ready for it or not.

I will gladly wait to see what comes of the Model 3. My present car can last me another year or 2 easily. Unless they somehow offer a Model S for the price of the 3, I'll be patiently waiting for my turn at obtaining a Model 3.

This (owners assisting type event) was also done in Oakville a few weeks back.

The event was geared at new prospects, not at badgering existing owners to trade up.

Your "cult" description is insulting imo.

Plenty of folks drive electric cars because of the lessened environmental impact (compared with ICE vehicles). Thousands of owners participate at hundreds of events across all provinces, trying to inform folks about the advantages of driving electric cars...all on their own time and of their own free will.