Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are other OEM's using Tesla Superchargers already in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been to Trentham Superchargers near Stoke on Trent to find One very large Mercedes electric people carrier parked up across two bays allegedly charging, one Audi and an MG5 SW EV parked up.
Has this facility for other OEM's now commenced in the UK. If so it's already being abused by parking across two bays!

It is a busy location but there is no charge to park elsewhere at Trentham Gardens, which has a a lot of car parking area.

It is a new supercharger facility with the latest CCS charging plugs, which I've just established the likes of Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, MG, Jaguar, Mini, Peugeot, Vauxhall / Opel, Citroen, Nissan, and VW and maybe others by now have all adopted. Perhaps like you suggested they assumed they would get a charge but didn't and just used the bays for a convenient park.
I think other Tesla drivers will be getting very annoyed when other OEM's are preventing access to Tesla vehicles, which already seems to be happening, even if they don't get functioning connectivity.
Tesla's dedicated charging network was a big incentive to purchase a Tesla in the first place, when that gets shared between other OEM's the incentive will disappear.
In my opinion other manufacturers should only be given access to the Tesla network, after they have installed an equal amount to the charging infrastructure that Tesla has. It may offer an additional revenue stream to Tesla but the annoyance to Tesla drivers I feel will outweigh the benefits if queuing to charge becomes an issue here, as it is is in areas of the USA.
The honeymoon period seems to be coming to an end for the early Tesla adopters!

Let’s hope they make a charging pricing structure that puts off the majority of non Tesla users. I wouldn’t mind the odd person with a fast charging capacity joining in, but lots of slow charging cars will be a negative. One of the USPs for Tesla will be lost, they need to be very careful with this one.

Reactions: Obliter8
Or Trentham not setup on the network properly and currently free vend to every Tom, Dick and Harry. We know they can technically charge. Tesla mistake rather than Tesla policy but a sign of things to come.
I think you could be correct on both counts. I did over hear another Tesla driver remonstrating with the driver of the Merc, who went back to his cab and said, "Well it's charging".
Won't take long fpr word to travel if that's the case and Tesla drivers will be denied access.

I have mixed feelings about this. I would have absolutely bought a Polestar 2 last year instead of a Model 3 if the Supercharger network hadn’t been such a differentiator. As a Tesla owner I’m a bit miffed that the main reason (for me at least) to chose Tesla is now being diluted, but on the flip-side, at least I know that in 2 years when it comes to choosing my next car I can comfortably leave Tesla and all the design and build quality issues behind.

There are two different issues here for me…

1) Is the simple issue of opening up the best network available to a multitude of users who have not contributed to its establishment, and…

2) Vehicles for which it has not been designed for having to take up more than one bay to charge.

I can sort of begrudgingly live with number one for the greater overall EV good (for as long as I’m a Tesla driver anyway), but number two would seriously piddle me off if it were to be a regular feature.

But, like others, all The Musk is really achieving with this if it happens is ensuring that my next EV is definitely not a Tesla. I mean, why would I buy a Tesla for my next EV when there are more and more better options out there that would also be able to use Superchargers if they were opened to the EV masses?

Saw this the other day (Thursday evening around 6pm) at Fosse Park in Leicester. A new BMW i3 plugged in (looked new or very clean).

Funny feeling that the sales guys are the ones telling these new owners that they can use them. Quick sale and tell the new owners they can or just no understanding of what a Tesla SuC is?

So how are these people paying for this charging? Tesla superchargers aren't set up for receiving payment and as far as I am aware there is no way for owners of other EV's to set up a Tesla account and link their non Teslas is there?

Reactions: moa999
So how are these people paying for this charging? Tesla superchargers aren't set up for receiving payment and as far as I am aware there is no way for owners of other EV's to set up a Tesla account and link their non Teslas is there?
If it’s a glitch, and they’re actually getting a charge, it’ll be free…..just to rub salt in the wound.

There was a software issue a few months back, might even be further back than that (Covid seems a bit of a time warp) where other makes could definitely charge but it was quickly plugged. Tesla seem to have been making a lot of back office changes at the moment with the new app, loot boxes going missing etc so its entirely possible they've dropped the ball again on this or these people are just chances and can't tell whats happening.

But the policy change of allowing others to use the network hasn't been enacted yet, or how it will work if they do explained.

Reactions: Adopado
I have mixed feelings about this. I would have absolutely bought a Polestar 2 last year instead of a Model 3 if the Supercharger network hadn’t been such a differentiator. As a Tesla owner I’m a bit miffed that the main reason (for me at least) to chose Tesla is now being diluted, but on the flip-side, at least I know that in 2 years when it comes to choosing my next car I can comfortably leave Tesla and all the design and build quality issues behind.
This is exactly where I'm at too. The supercharger network makes the "quirks" and lack of features and constant bingbonging just about bearable. Once that goes I'll feel better about getting a well built car.