Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are P3D+ wheels OK on other M3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much has been made of the fact that P3D+ cars need "special" wheels because of the rear brake rotor hub (not sure whether caliper size is an issue, but that's irreverent for this conversation). I won't go into that here but if someone doesn't know about the rotor hub issue, please ask and I'll find an article that explains it.

I've seen nothing about the corollary issue: are wheels that are configured to resolve the rear brake rotor hub issue safe and proper for use on other model 3s? I would assume they would be, as the modification to the wheels, as I understand it, requires clearancing the wheel's hub hole from the mounting face out some 3mm to 4mm, leaving the rest of the hub barrel available for centering the wheel on the hub. My assumption is that the remaining unaltered length is plenty for that purpose.

Although I am an engineer, according to my degree on the wall, err, in a box in the closet somewhere, it's way past its "Best Used By" date.

Discuss?

PS This is not strictly academic in that it might open up a market for P3D+ owners wanting to sell their OEM 20" wheels and tires to RWD and AWD M3 owners.

I have a P3D+ coming with the 20" wheels, but I don't want them. I know an RWD owner that does. So...this question interests me as well!

I will try emailing my service department, although I don't always get answers like I used to.

THIS thread points out that the 20" wheels upgrade you can buy from Tesla includes suspension changes (but are those changes required?) when added to non-P+ vehicles. However, those wheels are NOT the ones on the P3D+; in fact they specifically say they won't fit the P3D+. So while interesting and related, it really doesn't answer the question either way.

Last edited: