Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are P85s going to get a HP increase with new firmware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just speculating, but it looks like tesla is ok with higher discharge rates on the batteries (I am hoping this is due to data). Now there are differences in the battery pack versions, does anyone here know if battery chemistry is why they are doing like a 6C discharge with the p85D? And if it is safe on "older" battery packs does that mean we get a hp update?

Math:
691 hp = 515 Kw (total P85D output)
515 KW / 85 KWh = 6.05 C

470 hp = 350 Kw (power of the p85D rear motor)
350 KW / 85 KWh = 4.11 C

416 hp = 310 Kw (existing p85 power)
310 Kw / 85 KWh = 3.64 C

Or they just switched to using theoretical motor capacity. 0-60 time for S60 is the same as before (i.e. slower than S85), even though it has "more" power than before and as much as the S85... go figure why Tesla marketing thinks it's a good idea.

The marketing has changed too. Tesla is claiming more power for, what we can see is the same battery and motor.
Are we sure it's the same battery and motor? For the battery we already know there have been multiple versions with different charging specs (A/B/C/D battery pack version). It wouldn't be a surprise if the discharge specs are different too for ones with newer cells.

Just speculating, but it looks like tesla is ok with higher discharge rates on the batteries (I am hoping this is due to data). Now there are differences in the battery pack versions, does anyone here know if battery chemistry is why they are doing like a 6C discharge with the p85D? And if it is safe on "older" battery packs does that mean we get a hp update?

Math:
691 hp = 515 Kw (total P85D output)
515 KW / 85 KWh = 6.05 C

470 hp = 350 Kw (power of the p85D rear motor)
350 KW / 85 KWh = 4.11 C

416 hp = 310 Kw (existing p85 power)
310 Kw / 85 KWh = 3.64 C

I believe I read that the rear motor of the D is the same as the current P85. There are many posts here about 360KW as the max output of a P. When I press GO my power meter goes that high. If you watch Elon's video he says that the dual motor Config allows them to operate the motors in a more efficient way which provides the better range.