TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are P85s going to get a HP increase with new firmware?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by lmurphy137, Oct 12, 2014.

1. lmurphy137

lmurphy137 Member

Just speculating, but it looks like tesla is ok with higher discharge rates on the batteries (I am hoping this is due to data). Now there are differences in the battery pack versions, does anyone here know if battery chemistry is why they are doing like a 6C discharge with the p85D? And if it is safe on "older" battery packs does that mean we get a hp update?

Math:
    691 hp = 515 Kw (total P85D output)
    515 KW / 85 KWh = 6.05 C

470 hp = 350 Kw (power of the p85D rear motor)
    350 KW / 85 KWh = 4.11 C

416 hp = 310 Kw (existing p85 power)
    310 Kw / 85 KWh = 3.64 C

2. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

Trying to decipher reality from marketing is untenable.

3. lmurphy137

lmurphy137 Member

The marketing has changed too. Tesla is claiming more power for, what we can see is the same battery and motor. The discharge on the P85D is a lot more than the P85 so it is safe to discharge the battery harder.

4. Sad

Sad Member

Or they just switched to using theoretical motor capacity. 0-60 time for S60 is the same as before (i.e. slower than S85), even though it has "more" power than before and as much as the S85... go figure why Tesla marketing thinks it's a good idea.

5. tom66

tom66 Member

Isn't the P85 capable of pumping 363kW into the motor? Minus about 13kW for DC-DC, heating, A/C etc, this works out to be about 350kW, or 470hp.
    In other words, nothing changed, they just updated the printed specification.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My P85 got more powerful with a marketing update? Cool!

lol

7. Sad

Sad Member

For the S60, it's a big change for the printed spec, and if indeed nothing changed in reality, it's a bit misleading to imply that the S60 driver can play around with 380 bhp.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Are we sure it's the same battery and motor? For the battery we already know there have been multiple versions with different charging specs (A/B/C/D battery pack version). It wouldn't be a surprise if the discharge specs are different too for ones with newer cells.

9. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I believe I read that the rear motor of the D is the same as the current P85. There are many posts here about 360KW as the max output of a P. When I press GO my power meter goes that high. If you watch Elon's video he says that the dual motor Config allows them to operate the motors in a more efficient way which provides the better range.