TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are panel gap issues still an issue? Picking up today. Built late July

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bottomsup, Aug 25, 2018.

1. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

2. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

From all the latest reports here on TMC, anecdotally, it seems to be less of an issue. Even if yours was built in late July.

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

Probably picking mine up shortly. Still waiting for tradein info and pick up date but contacted and told 3-4 weeks a little while ago. Let us know what you think of yours.

4. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

I've heard a lot more about charge port, headlight, and frunk alignment issues than I have panel gap issues. Though frankly every model 3 I've ever looked at, I've never noticed any issues frankly so I clearly don't have the most decerning eye.

5. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

My car had the following (delivered Aug 3)

- bumper clip driver's rear not clipped, fixed at SC
    - right rear door trim misaligned, reluctantly fixed at SC
    - some panel gaps/front bumper not perfect, elected to do nothing
    - some paint issues (dust? under paint) , elected not to trust having it attended to w/downtime (I know, not a panel gap)

6. corduroy

corduroy Member

In my sample size of 1, nope.

7. SJC3

SJC3 Member

July here and had a few paint pimple issues (chose not to address), rear door misalignment (fixed), charge door misalignment (debating to mention as I have other more pressing issues).

8. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

In 5 that I have looked at closely, none had panel gap issues.

One did have some minor paint issues, though.

9. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

well so much for that. they just called and said the car has issues and they need to keep it for a few days. A "firmware issue" they said. should i be worried?

10. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Good they found something and you might avoid a service visit. Just use the same checklist as you would have. Note any issues on your due bill and you should be fine. Don’t let them rush you but be nice :) Gluck.

11. bottomsup

bottomsup Member

My VIN is now gone from the website. I feel lied to. Ok inspection worked that’s good but 3 hours before delivery a “firmware upgrade” results in a new car?

12. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Just picked up mine today. I’d say there are more trim issues than panel gap issues. Rear driver side door trim is lifting up slightly in the middle. My charge port door also sticks out slightly rather than being flush. The other side where the charge port would be if it was on the right side is somewhat indebted rather than flush.

I think I will want them to fix the door trim eventually.

13. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

I would avoid guessing and getting worked up for no reason. You have no idea what's happening so just wait and see. People were complaining about how they were receiving cars that should not be delivered. So consider yourself lucky the inspection did their job and found things that need to be fixed.

• Like x 3
  14. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah was not super impressed with what they presented to me at delivery. I demanded that they buff out scratches on the hood or I was walking out. Thankfully they did. Still have some trim and seal issues I think I will want fixed eventually.