TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are Parking Sensors now standard?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by tandrup, Oct 10, 2014.

1. tandrup

tandrup Member

Just looked through the design center. It says that the sensors are standard now, and since the option of "Parking Sensors" (which I think was a $500 option on top of the tech package) is not available as a standalone option anymore. Do you think I need to add the Tech Package to get parking sensors (and the associated functionality) or does it now come standard?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

They re-did a lot, but one thing seems to remain constant. The tech package isn't truly optional. You only get half the car features without it. They specifically state that all the driver assist functions require it, I'm sure parking sensors are in there too.

Quite a big re-jigging of the options overnight though. And actually a slight price drop (at least here in Canada)

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes if you want the parking sensors you now have to buy the Tech Package as they are part of that option.

The S is a great car in the base/no options version but the Tech Package makes it an insanely awesome car and I highly recommend that option.

4. tandrup

tandrup Member

Thanks guys - I'll put an order in for an 85D with the Tech Package - thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Lars

5. pzz

pzz Banned

Yes, they are now part of the package. Leather seats are now also included at no extra charge.

6. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I believe the parking sensors are standard now. Pretty sure I've seen some people saying they got deliveries without the tech package or parking sensors ordered and have functional parking sensors.

7. zro ltr

zro ltr Member

I don't think that's true. Leather is showing at $1,500 again.

8. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Member

Last night, black leather was free. Must have been a bug, since fixed.

9. pzz

pzz Banned

Yes, I did the configuration last night.

10. Majerus

Majerus Member

My DS said they up'd the price of the tech package , which offset the 500 they were charging for parking sensors.

11. KennyB-FLL

KennyB-FLL Member

Fort Lauderdale, FL and Rehoboth Beach, DE
    I just got off the phone with inside sales team in CA. Cars that are currently in queue for production will NOT have the Autopilot features enabled. In order to get the Autopilot car must be reordered with the "new" Tech Package. I just changed my order. Was supposed to take delivery in December, but now in February since I also opted for the D model.

12. breser

That doesn't make sense. The parking sensors aren't mentioned anywhere in the design studio now. However, the fog light feature is also gone as an option but is listed in the Tech package on the design studio.

My interpretation is that they eliminated the parking sensors as an option and all vehicles get them (presumably because they're not using the same sonar sensors for that as they are using for Autopilot), while fog lights are not part of the Tech package.

13. Majerus

Majerus Member

Here is the email I received after asking if I would be charged for the parking sensors.

"Parking sensors are now included in the Tech package. However, the Tech package has increased in price to account for this. The driver assist hardware will be standard. It sounds like a win win to me."

14. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Can someone tell me if the old style parking sensors are the same as the new ones? I want to know if our car would possibly work with the ultrasonic proximity features that will be available soon (blind spot, parking assist, maybe others).

Do the newer cars have more sensors to detect objects along side of the car?

Ours has 4 sensors on the rear bumper and 4 on the front.

15. rlcordeiro

rlcordeiro Member

@Theshadows Yes! watch the reveal on you tube or go to teslamotors.com

16. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

Thanks. I see the blog mentions 12 sensors.

17. breser

I'm sure that's what they told you. But frankly, I don't trust anything Telsa tells me at this point. Their employees seem to be poorly informed about new things and you'll get multiple answers from different people. There were 2 $500 options that were rolled into the Tech Package and it only went up by $500. We've already seen people reporting they got the new sensors and have functional parking sensors without ordering the Parking Sensors option or the Tech Package option.

- - - Updated - - -

Doubtful, your car is missing the sensors that wrap around onto the side of each bumper. The new cars have 6 sensors on each bumper. That extra 2 sensors is what enables things like blind spot detection. I suspect the cars with 4 sensors only have 120 degree visiblity from each bumper as opposed to the 180 the 6 sensor cars have.

18. Majerus

Majerus Member

Good point.

19. Dockpp

Dockpp Member

I was told the same thing. Not interested in AWD. So cancelled and placed a new order for S85. Delivery delayed by another 2 months but hope that the wait will be worth the autopilot features in the future:smile:

20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

#20 Akikiki, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Guys, the parking sensors just became "sensors". And the sensors are part of the group of 12 sensors the car needs for the Autopilot. So, you're not going to see them as a separate line item. So the parking assist is a lesser feature of the driver assist package.