Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are people keeping the heater on while charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I am a new owner. Now that the weather is getting colder where I live, I am wondering if people just keep their heater's on when charging. I typically charge the car at night. Is there an issue with just keeping the heater on all night while charging? Any suggestions/concerns?

It might be a bit of a waste - you could turn it on a few minutes before you leave. One other thing to consider in the winter is to charge your car just before you leave in the morning. This will heat up the battery which will minimize regen limits that can occur when it is cold.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but I am a new owner. Now that the weather is getting colder where I live, I am wondering if people just keep their heater's on when charging. I typically charge the car at night. Is there an issue with just keeping the heater on all night while charging? Any suggestions/concerns?
The heater automatically switches off when you exit the car. in fact you have to get through very specific steps to keep it on, so it's not an issue.

Can you explain the reason why you want to keep the heater on while charging?

there are scheduling apps you can use to set heat 1 hr before you leave etc. no sense in running heat all night long, it's a waste of electricity. unless you roll down the windows to heat your garage......