Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are powerwalls a necessity for SoCal residents?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jjrandorin.
We have similar situation. Used to have BMW, use Quiet Cool, have high end AV system and no pool. Live just up the road from you in Canyon Lake. Tesla will be installing my Solar system in a couple weeks.
Hoping that annual production will sort itself out over the year. These super hot days are screwing with my calculations :)

Using Quiet Cool had allowed me to get away with a much smaller Solar package.

Reactions: jjrandorin
60% is not all that humid. +90% is humid.

Works best when your days are hot and evenings cool.

I also use mine in the Winter to bring in warm air in the afternoon. Saves on heating as well.

True, thankfully we don't get anything like Qatar. Stupid hot and stupid humid (more humid that should be possible thanks to it being a narrow peninsula), think over 110 and 90%+ humidity. I guess I was thinking just more humid than I wanted to be blasting condensed forms of into my attic, but seems like they are still popular in the coastal regions.

Big benefit of the Quiet Cool is that it is mounted inside your attic. It takes hot air from your ceiling and blows it through your attic. This blows out your superheated attic at the same time.

All that hot air trapped in your attic tends to sit there and bake your ceiling and rooms. Good to get it vented each night.

These things tend to only cost around $1,400 installed. Pay for themselves pretty quickly. Cost 1/20th as much to run as AC.

• Helpful
Reactions: kardiff_kris
Big benefit of the Quiet Cool is that it is mounted inside your attic. It takes hot air from your ceiling and blows it through your attic. This blows out your superheated attic at the same time.

All that hot air trapped in your attic tends to sit there and bake your ceiling and rooms. Good to get it vented each night.

These things tend to only cost around $1,400 installed. Pay for themselves pretty quickly. Cost 1/20th as much to run as AC.

Hmm might pull the trigger on one. Had a quote for an installed Stealth Pro 5.5 w/remote for $1100 tax included.

Hmm might pull the trigger on one. Had a quote for an installed Stealth Pro 5.5 w/remote for $1100 tax included.
What the... are you sure? That's crazy cheap. I got the same model installed last year for $1500 and thought I got a good deal. The equivalent consumer version of Quiet Cool sold at Home Depot are $1050-$1250 just for the unit itself (before tax and no labor).

What the... are you sure? That's crazy cheap. I got the same model installed last year for $1500 and thought I got a good deal. The equivalent consumer version of Quiet Cool sold at Home Depot are $1050-$1250 just for the unit itself (before tax and no labor).

Yeah, they said Quiet Cool has some promotion, then gave me a military (retired) discount. So should probably take them up on it huh lol?

So Quiet Cool takes out all the heat from the rooms and sucks it in to the attic. Is there anything else that will push the hot heat out of the attic?

A whole house fan such as a Quiet cool pulls the warm air from the house into the attic. This will force the super heated that is in the attic out the attic vents and other openings. So it will not only cool the house but cool the attic as well.

You can also get an attic fan which only pushes the hot attic air out and it draws in cooler air from the outside.

So Quiet Cool takes out all the heat from the rooms and sucks it in to the attic. Is there anything else that will push the hot heat out of the attic?

Air pressure, basically. probably easiest to think of it like a vacuum as far as how a vacuum generates negative air pressure to suck things into it. The attic can only hold so much air, so the rest is forced out through the vents in your roof. Its important to size it correctly for your home, but they work great in the right environment.

How much power do these whole house fan use?

we have a whole house fan. Run it 8 hours at night
~500 watts/hr

our house is well insulated. Before the fan, house would not cool down lower than 77 or so, but we were not agressive with window opening. Now with fan easily cools to 72 (still not agressive with window opening, just mostly sliding doors)