Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are rear mud flaps really necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drank the kool-aid and got the mud flaps (front and rear) even though I wasn’t in love with the look; wanted to protect the car. I’ve only put about 350 miles on my car thus far and just blew out the passenger right tire yesterday. I want to blame it on a ricochet, from the small piece of metal I picked up on the road, off the mud flap. I’ll never know for sure but the mud flaps have all been removed.
It seems INCREDIBLY unlikely that something could ricochet off a thin plastic mud flap with sufficient force to penetrate a road tire without shattering or tearing through the mud flap itself…

Reactions: gene and thinktwice
The greatest range loss in any EV is your lead foot on the accelerator. I just did over 2000 miles on a road trip and rarely drove over 74mph as that was my CC setting for the interstate. I did 243wh/mile average for the whole trip in my M S. Most of that was in AP FSD. Remember, wind resistance is EV's greatest range loss as you increase speed.

Note- I don't need mud flaps on my M S but I have then on all 4 on the Y. Much less experience with the Y as it is new but so far the wh/mile is about the same as my S. That surprised me.

I agree with your second sentence. We drive the Y locally mostly and the flaps have done a great job. I installed the 3D kind that are more aerodynamic than the flat Tesla ones.
Can you post the link for the "3D" mud flaps? Thanks!!

I'll post some photos soon. Maybe it's just one of those things, but I seem to be getting more rock chips on the rear. I just got my front flaps in from Tesla
for my Plaid. I also just got in my Tesla rock chip paint. Hmmm, maybe that's the hold idea. $40 Mud Flaps and $60 paint.

I'll post some photos soon. Maybe it's just one of those things, but I seem to be getting more rock chips on the rear. I just got my front flaps in from Tesla
for my Plaid. I also just got in my Tesla rock chip paint. Hmmm, maybe that's the hold idea. $40 Mud Flaps and $60 paint.

I went with just the front flaps + the PPF on the corner of the rear doors. The PPF is already pretty chewed up after just 9k miles, so I'd definitely say it's worth the small cost. The rear flaps are in storage in case I ever change my mind.

Initially i was worried that mud flaps would ruin the look of the car but after putting them on i think they enhance it. No regrets.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220419-202255_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220419-202255_Gallery.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 635