Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are rock chips on the PPF more noticeable on a Black car than without ppf?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting my front end pretty much replaced / repainted, due to some jackass hitting my car while parked.

I didnt put PPF on the car when I bought it 2+ years ago, but I was considering it now since it should pristine new paint.

The question is: I noticed tons of small rock chips, but they are not very noticeable from far away because the car is black and i guess the primer / plastic under is also black.

If i understand how PPF works, its great for swirls and scratches, but won't do much for rock chips. So its basically transferring the chips from the actual bumper to the film, which I guess can be see a sacrificial layer? Are chips on the PPF way more noticeable since it will be white-ish? I'd rather not spend around $2K just to protect the car for the next person but it won't do anything for me.

Also i am amateur detailer, so I can polish / Dr Colorchip the paint if needed.

So PPF yay or nay?

Although PPF is not impervious to all rock chips, it still offers a lot of advantages:

PPF is at least 4 times as thick as the clear coat on your paint. In addition to self-healing swirls and scratches, it will also self-heal minor to moderate rock chips as long as the impact does not penetrate the PPF.

Even if the PPF is penetrated, there will simply be a small tear in the PPF where the rock or pebble made impact. The PPF will continue to protect most of the paint even if there is a tear that is too severe for the film to self-heal away.

If you notice that there are several rock-induced tears in your PPF and it bothers you, all you need to do is go to your PPF installer and have a replacement piece of PPF installed in that one section. You don't have to reapply PPF everywhere you had it applied originally. For example, my installer charged me $125 to remove torn PPF on my right front fender and replace it with a new piece. This was Xpel Ultimate PPF. I believe the front fender would be about $300 to replace. And replacing a piece of PPF is so much faster and easier than repainting. I was in and out of the installer's shop in about 1-2 hours.

Oh, and to answer your original question, I don't think you would notice a small tear in PPF. It is not pure white. It is more of a semi-clear color, like the color of dried rubber cement.

JoeBruin77 aka the yellow teddy bear is right.

Note that the best PPF and modern nanotech coatings (even when combined) will not prevent rock chips, nicks, shopping cart damage, any/all kinds of dents, etc. but are still usually worth it and better than respraying the car or particular panels down the road.

Reactions: joebruin77