Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are RWD really being fulfilled within 4 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I can pull the trigger on October 15th since I am still trying to figure out the charging option in my coop in NYC (Queens). Will probably be able to make the decision in another week or two. I know it won't be guaranteed for the tax credit, but for those who have ordered this config, RWD LR EAP, Black -- what has your timeline been?

Color is an unpredictable variable. I received my blue LR RWD EAP+FSD within 4 weeks, and that's in Texas which has had lots and lots of delivery problems. This was a late August order, mid-September delivery. I would say go with what makes sense, let the chips fall.

Can you park the car somewhere that you can run an extension cord out of a window and out to the car? We charge our electric cars on the street in front of our house, on 120v. You can charge a tesla 3 RWD 50 mi overnight (it's more like 4 mi/hr for an aero / rwd car) and perhaps visit a supercharger once a week and that would be just fine (note: this equates to about 25,000 miles of charging per year). Don't forgo the car purchase because of "Charge Anxiety".

• Disagree
Reactions: tomas and adaptabl
That's a ridiculous reason to delay ordering. I have no at home charging or at working charging, and probably never will. I'm at a supercharger roughly once a week.

In all seriousness though, there's so many options out there. And in NYC, I imagine it's better than most places. You should be fine unless you have some crazy commute distance.

At least tell us, you're waiting for a lease to expire or something ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
That's a ridiculous reason to delay ordering. I have no at home charging or at working charging, and probably never will. I'm at a supercharger roughly once a week.

In all seriousness though, there's so many options out there. And in NYC, I imagine it's better than most places. You should be fine unless you have some crazy commute distance.

At least tell us, you're waiting for a lease to expire or something ;-)

NYC infrastructure is not built well for charging. There is one urban charger in queens located in a heavily crowded area (Queens Center Mall), particularly horrific to get to during the holiday season. The ones in Long Island have had lines as well as being inconvenient to get to.

The urban superchargers in Manhattan are located in Paid parking lots where rates are absolutely insane over 10$ an hour.

With the increased deliveries of Model 3's I also fear there will be long wait times to charge as well as people in the similar situation as me.

Reactions: adaptabl
East Coast buyer here... I placed my order for a Blue RWD with EAP on 09/16/2018 and was contacted by my IDA on 09/18/2018 for delivery on 09/20. Unfortunately, I was out of town that week and had to be put back into the queue for a new VIN. I received the new order agreement, with VIN, on 10/09/2018 for pick-up on 10/31. So while it is possible that things get pushed, they are definitely getting the RWD models pushed out fairly quickly.

I placed my order for a rear wheel drive, Midnight Silver to be picked up at the Cleveland location on October 9th, I got a text the next day setting up delivery for the 29th, so less than three weeks from order to (scheduled) delivery.

I placed NEW order (RWD MSM EAP) in Factory store on October 2nd and delivery was in 10 calendar days. (Non-reservation... OA bungled and forgot to use my 3/31 in-line reservation. Confirmed to have no effect on delivery date.) VIN was auto-assigned (102XXX) in sync with my delivery text response on Day 8. Tesla handily beat Carxxx & KBxxx by almost $2k on Day 1 (Early 2016 30kWh Nissan Leaf SV) in person. Trade-in via DA completed over phone/email in 1hr record time on Day 9. Production date on the ‘nameplate’ was “10/18.” OA & DA said it was a “custom” order. Delivered via “Tesla Direct” to my front door from “Fremont delivery hub.” Car in great shape post-9/30 delivery rush. Super minor stuff found. Vacuumed plastic shavings on dash, easily removable window sticker residue, broken off plastic snap found size of a pebble (hmm), and 1/8” scratch on edge of rear quarter panel. Happy with it... nothing immediate worth taking in. Definitely not super clean like all the other cars I’ve bought. Major upgrade of a family car for us. I had to put into “chill” (low acceleration mode) for a couple of days to adjust to the fierce power.

I may consider bringing the car in for a wheel balance. Not sure if it’s just the motors and considered normal. I will consult fellow Model 3 buyers here and in-person.

I ordered a RWD model 3 on 9/26, was told I have a VIN last Monday 10/8, but haven't actually received a VIN yet or had delivery scheduled. I have called and emailed to follow up but have not received any additional info. When I ordered the website said delivery within 4 weeks, and we're nearly 3 weeks in with nothing scheduled. Given some of the delivery gripes I've seen online, I am getting a little concerned.

Good to see others are getting RWD orders made and completed in quick order. Just be aware YMMV, as mine has thus far. My location is IL, so not East Coast, but not Bay Area either.

I ordered a RWD model 3 on 9/26, was told I have a VIN last Monday 10/8, but haven't actually received a VIN yet or had delivery scheduled. I have called and emailed to follow up but have not received any additional info. When I ordered the website said delivery within 4 weeks, and we're nearly 3 weeks in with nothing scheduled. Given some of the delivery gripes I've seen online, I am getting a little concerned.

Good to see others are getting RWD orders made and completed in quick order. Just be aware YMMV, as mine has thus far. My location is IL, so not East Coast, but not Bay Area either.
OP in case it's helpful, I did get a VIN and scheduled delivery for Saturday (10/20). If that goes as advertised and I actually get the car Saturday, that will be 3 weeks + 3 days from order to delivery to Chicago area. RWD, black interior, 18" wheels, white paint.

wow.....I placed an order on 10/3 and I am still waiting for someone to contact me about delivery dates. I'm based out of the CA and have a BLK/BLK RWD, 19" on order. I think I need to ping NA Sales to find out what is going on here!
Hope you get a call soon. I think that you are waiting for a car carrier to bring down your Vehicle with the 19" wheels. I ordered on a Thursday and they texted my that weekend to schedule delivery as early as that Tuesday.
But I did order a Silver Metallic RWD and just added the Autopilot (turned on remotely). I believe that my car was sitting on the lot ready to go.