Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are some of USB outlets unswitched (always on)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S. I wanted to install a dash cam (it's a DDpai mini, a rather cheap 1080 dash cam), so after much reading I was prepared to install by using cord in speaker grill between the two cabin lights. After I even bought the adapter, I opened the grille and the cable that is supposed to be always on was not there. I then ordered the OBD power adapter, but just decided to test my dashcam in to the usb port next to the cigarette lighter while I waited for it to arrive.

As far as I can tell, it has been on for hours even though the car should be off. Is the USB outlet supposed to be unswitched? I thought they only powered on when the car is on. Does it just stay on because it was plugged in before the car was shut off? Will it continue to stay on?

thanks,,

I’ve noticed this too recently; the 12V port is definitely switched... but the USB ports may be “always on” (unless the car goes into deep sleep. They are connected to the center screen, which is “running” even if the car and screen are off... so this makes some sense.

Thanks for your responses. I've attached a photo to show that there isn't the wire under the microphone grille that is there in most other Model S's. I read that the first cars all had the wire, and then for a period in 2013 they do not, and then Tesla resumed putting that powered wire in the car later in 2013. My car must have fallen in that gap. That would definitely be the cleanest install method, and was why I ordered the computer fan cable.

I did get a dash cam time lapse video of the light from the sun rising and the windows in my garage getting brighter, so I can say with some confidence that the USB ports in my car at least (YMMV) maintained constant power to the dashcam overnight. I was also able to charge my phone briefly as well though I did not leave my phone in long enough for a full charge, and the phone charging is definitely slower than it would be from my usual charger. So there aren't enough amps to charge my phone all that quickly, but enough for the dash cam which needs less than 2 amps.

Not sure whether I will prefer the OBD power wiring or the USB wiring right now. I'd think the OBD wiring would be neater, but not by much, and I could keep the USB port free too, but can't be sure about it until I receive the cable.

IMG_0046.JPG

DQHB1gXkK2jhXKSs9