Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are SR3s hard to sell? [tesla model 3 SR / SR+]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yah that’s awesome. Normally the bottom barrel car keeps the most value. Like the bottom Honda Civic might keep 60% of value in 3 years, but the top model might only keep 40%.

awesome if this is true. Sr+ is honestly too much range for an in town car, amazing how good model 3 range is.

I know it's true as %, b/c options aren't typically priced well by 3rd parties and the SR/+ has few/none. I agree best in town EV. Also if you use it as such not so many SC charge cycles with long-distance travel

My point is an SR and SR+ that are both charged and used exactly the same way, to the same absolute percentage of real physical capacity, will degrade in exactly the same fashion, and that degradation will show up in your available rated range.

You seem to be making the case that since you can’t physically charge the SR battery to 100%, it will last longer and degrade less. That may be sorta true, but it’s not more or less true than a SR+ that the owner never charges to 100%.

The SR is not software locked to “220 miles”. It’s locked to “xx% of an SR+ battery”, and as the overall energy available in that battery degrades, the available range miles for the SR will reduce proportionally.

What about a new purchaser paying to unlock the SR buffer?

SR+ actually have the best resale value of all model 3s. If you look at the average $60k 2018 model 3 LR with enhanced autopilot, they sell for about 35k after 2 years. I bought my SR+ for $40k and sold it for 36k after 18 months. (Not including incentives, if you include incentives and govt rebates I made a profit)
Same here, I bought SR+ 2 years ago for 41.2k (destination), sold it after 17 months for 36.7k. that's 10% depreciation. ICE cars lose 20% just driving it off the lot. of course, if I include the 3.75k federal incentive, I was close to break even.

Reactions: vickh
What about it?

I would think it would be a perk that there was a SR buffer/"protected" range, if it's a top lock like some have proposed.

Not sure if the 3rd party sellers recognize the uniqueness of SR vs SR+ since most tend to have all variant average pricing. I've heard of one that asks for order confirmation to price options. My display still says SR+.

Sadly there really isn’t a good method to see degradation. The system is using an educated guess. And the reported number is thrown off by seasonal changes.

I have about 16mi more range in summer then winter according to the BMS

This is why I leave my car in % rather then remaining range.

Sadly there really isn’t a good method to see degradation. The system is using an educated guess. And the reported number is thrown off by seasonal changes.

I have about 16mi more range in summer then winter according to the BMS

This is why I leave my car in % rather then remaining range.

I guess summer would be a good time to sell :)

I wonder if Tesla factors/checks battery health at trade-in . I'm going to ask for a quote when I buy the Y but typically they've been the lowest since. They understand the trim differences better than most like vroom etc.

I would think it would be a perk that there was a SR buffer/"protected" range, if it's a top lock like some have proposed.

Not sure if the 3rd party sellers recognize the uniqueness of SR vs SR+ since most tend to have all variant average pricing. I've heard of one that asks for order confirmation to price options. My display still says SR+.

I would think that anyone who actually wanted that range (SR+) in a used car would simply buy a SR+ used, vs buying an SR then spending 5k to upgrade it through tesla.. That is, unless the price of the SR vehicle was more than 5k lower than the SR+ which is possible (but not what you are hoping for).

I would think that anyone who actually wanted that range (SR+) in a used car would simply buy a SR+ used, vs buying an SR then spending 5k to upgrade it through tesla.. That is, unless the price of the SR vehicle was more than 5k lower than the SR+ which is possible (but not what you are hoping for).

Fair enough. I'm hoping that Tesla would do say a $2k range boost option someday (only thing I'm missing with my SR since I have AP, immersive sound etc(.

Or I can sell it as a degraded SR+ (display says it) and call it a day...

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'm hoping that Tesla would do say a $2k range boost option someday (only thing I'm missing with my SR since I have AP, immersive sound etc(.

Or I can sell it as a degraded SR+ (display says it) and call it a day...

Its my opinion that, you wont see anything "special" at all for SR owners as that car is (was) a compliance car for tesla. Meaning, I doubt you will see any push to lower upgrade costs, or anything else for that specific model.

Again, no one has a crystal ball, so no one knows, but its my opinion that if tesla was ever going to consider lowering that upgrade price, they would have done it already when they made the price of the SR+ less than the cost of an SR plus the upgrade. They didnt change that, at least not now, and I dont see them changing it going forward.

That car is as much an "orphan" car as the MR (Mid Range) model, imo. On the Mid range, though, it has everything that the LR ones have except the range itself (premium interior, etc). Both orphan cars, both likely to see little support other than repairs, in my opinion.

In your specific case (the car says its a sr+ but thats not what you have), its entirely likely that if you sold it, tesla would "catch the error" on title transfer and downgrade the car to an SR "properly", then some person would be on these (and other boards) complaining about how tesla "screwed" them, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Its my opinion that, you wont see anything "special" at all for SR owners as that car is (was) a compliance car for tesla. Meaning, I doubt you will see any push to lower upgrade costs, or anything else for that specific model.

Again, no one has a crystal ball, so no one knows, but its my opinion that if tesla was ever going to consider lowering that upgrade price, they would have done it already when they made the price of the SR+ less than the cost of an SR+ the upgrade. They didnt change that, at least not now, and I dont see them changing it going forward.

That car is as much an "orphan" car as the MR (Mid Range) model, imo. On the Mid range, though, it has everything that the LR ones have except the range itself (premium interior, etc). Both orphan cars, both likely to see little support other than repairs, in my opinion.

In your specific case (the car says its a sr+ but thats not what you have), its entirely likely that if you did that, tesla would "catch the error" on title transfer and downgrade the car to an SR "properly", then some person would be on these (and other boards) complaining about how tesla "screwed" them, etc.

Funny in that I had an MR reserved and almost delivered, till the SR was released. It would have been cool to have a LeMR ;) I've always believed in buying the smallest house in the nicest neighborhood so...

I thought SRs still available off-menu, although most probably won't ask for it. Bummer that Elon killed my SR Y dream :(

Funny in that I had an MR reserved and almost delivered, till the SR was released. It would have been cool to have a LeMR ;) I've always believed in buying the smallest house in the nicest neighborhood so...

I thought SRs still available off-menu, although most probably won't ask for it.

I thought I read here that it was fully discontinued (as in not available off menu either).

• Informative
SR+ actually have the best resale value of all model 3s. If you look at the average $60k 2018 model 3 LR with enhanced autopilot, they sell for about 35k after 2 years. I bought my SR+ for $40k and sold it for 36k after 18 months. (Not including incentives, if you include incentives and govt rebates I made a profit)

I have a 2018 LR RWD with EAP. It was 55k at the time, and I had the $7500 fed tax credit, so my net cost was around 47,500. I can easily sell it private party for 38k right now. So I wouldn't say the older LRs are in bad shape. losing $10k in 3 years is still very low depreciation.

Reactions: EVNation
I have a 2018 LR RWD with EAP. It was 55k at the time, and I had the $7500 fed tax credit, so my net cost was around 47,500. I can easily sell it private party for 38k right now. So I wouldn't say the older LRs are in bad shape. losing $10k in 3 years is still very low depreciation.

very low depreciation, but you should factor in sales tax

"To streamline production, these cars actually started out as pricier Standard Range Plus models, but got de-contented interiors after assembly"...

what "de-contented interiors" compared to SR+?

Otherwise good article that gives me a trade deadline well b/f 2023.

Musk: Battery plan will enable $25,000 Tesla due in 2023
"Musk said that Tesla doesn’t yet have a name for the $25,000 car, which would arrive in 2023 and finally be able to meet or beat equivalent internal-combustion vehicles on the initial purchase price"

I would argue the $35K SR-tax credits Elon already gave us that!

Last edited: