Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are SR3s hard to sell? [tesla model 3 SR / SR+]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2-3 years will SR 3s be hard to sell? Maybe a glut of people upgrading or the battery degrading just enough to be annoying?

I have a LRY now. It’s too good. So now we need to sell our second in-town commuter only car. A SR3 seems like it fits our bill perfect. Gets us around town with most of the Tesla fun for a good price. Man I tried pricing bolts and leafs for my second car but I just can’t do it....

only worry is it will be like selling a 3 year old leaf that no one wants because the range is so bad. But, I should have 200 miles of range not the 40 I see on old leafs..

[QUOTE="MrTuna, post: 5244553, member: 134997"....or the battery degrading just enough to be annoying?....[/QUOTE]
SRs should suffer very little battery degradation since they are software locked and the pack is not fully usable.

Not true and why almost all other EV manufactures limit the battery (software lock) use to 90% or less.

EV tech explained: Why do EVs restrict the amount of battery capacity that can be used for driving? - Charged EVs

My point is an SR and SR+ that are both charged and used exactly the same way, to the same absolute percentage of real physical capacity, will degrade in exactly the same fashion, and that degradation will show up in your available rated range.

You seem to be making the case that since you can’t physically charge the SR battery to 100%, it will last longer and degrade less. That may be sorta true, but it’s not more or less true than a SR+ that the owner never charges to 100%.

The SR is not software locked to “220 miles”. It’s locked to “xx% of an SR+ battery”, and as the overall energy available in that battery degrades, the available range miles for the SR will reduce proportionally.

It won’t be hard to sell if it is priced appropriately.

That said, I only expect the price of all new Tesla’s to be pushed downward as adoption and manufacturing ramp up.

So if you’re expecting to get back 90% of what you paid for it, you’ll be disappointed.

Wouldn’t the SR actually (theoretically) degrade faster? Smaller pack = more battery cycles to drive the same distance

Not any faster than an SR+, as it’s the same physical battery and the cycle count would be the same between the two cars even if the top 10% is locked out of the SR.

In practice though, it seems the smaller batteries do degrade more quickly than the big ones, because they are regularly cycled more deeply to cover the same distance. A small battery with a regular duty cycle of 90-20% is going to degrade more quickly than a big battery that can make the same trip using 80-40%, all other things being equal.

Reactions: Saturday
I did not realize they were software locking SR+. That’s wild. Seems a whole lot of money to leave on the table.

Is the subwoofer software locked also?

The SR is software locked. The SR+ isnt (just to make sure you are talking about the same thing others are talking about in this thread. This post I am quoting appears that you think a LR battery is in the SR+ and software locked. Its not.

Whats software locked is the "off menu maybe not even able to order any longer at all" Standard range tesla model 3. The "on menu regular ordering process Standard Range Plus", is not software locked.

Reactions: MrTuna
The SR is software locked. The SR+ isnt (just to make sure you are talking about the same thing others are talking about in this thread. This post I am quoting appears that you think a LR battery is in the SR+ and software locked. Its not.

Whats software locked is the "off menu maybe not even able to order any longer at all" Standard range tesla model 3. The "on menu regular ordering process Standard Range Plus", is not software locked.

ok this makes sense. I am looking at SR+ for sure. Was very confused they were wasting a full batter on SR+s.

SR+ actually have the best resale value of all model 3s. If you look at the average $60k 2018 model 3 LR with enhanced autopilot, they sell for about 35k after 2 years. I bought my SR+ for $40k and sold it for 36k after 18 months. (Not including incentives, if you include incentives and govt rebates I made a profit)

yah that’s awesome. Normally the bottom barrel car keeps the most value. Like the bottom Honda Civic might keep 60% of value in 3 years, but the top model might only keep 40%.

awesome if this is true. Sr+ is honestly too much range for an in town car, amazing how good model 3 range is.

Reactions: cdswm3 and vickh
SR+ actually have the best resale value of all model 3s. If you look at the average $60k 2018 model 3 LR with enhanced autopilot, they sell for about 35k after 2 years. I bought my SR+ for $40k and sold it for 36k after 18 months. (Not including incentives, if you include incentives and govt rebates I made a profit)

wow. I'm hoping to repeat the same next year for my $35K SR and pocket the rebates. Mileage? Was it a private sale ?