Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are super cheap level 2 chargers a bad idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, happy thanksgiving! Posting here since I think S owners have had more years of charging experience. I'm renting a condo and the city offers a rebate that covers a portion of costs of charger, install fees, permit fees. Installing just a basic 240v outlet probably wouldn't fall under the rebate. I see a few cheapo 16amp 240v level 2 chargers that are less than $200 and use the J1772 plug. This should charge maybe 10 miles per hour, which is more than adequate with daily 20mile trip. Are there any potential concerns about these low cost chargers? Anyone with experience with low cost chargers? Owner of condo is not going to front any costs so I want to use rebate to offset both charger and installation costs. I can sell it to him that it would increase resale value of the condo and attract future tenants who want to charge EV, but I doubt he would care. Since these chargers plug into something like a NEMA 6-20/14-30/6-30/etc outlet, it's easy to take the charger and/or sell it when I move. I'd pick the cheapest 30A plug for them to install then get the appropriate charger plug. Tesla wall charger connects directly to the lines so removal would require someone to do it for me. Thanks.

The Amazing E by Clipper Creek is high quality and a really good value if you don’t mind it being limited to 16 amps at 240 volts (about 3.7 kW). It plugs into a NEMA 14-30.

You could also buy a $35 adapter from Tesla and charge at 24 amps on that same plug with your mobile connector.

The Amazing E by Clipper Creek is high quality and a really good value if you don’t mind it being limited to 16 amps at 240 volts (about 3.7 kW). It plugs into a NEMA 14-30.

You could also buy a $35 adapter from Tesla and charge at 24 amps on that same plug with your mobile connector.

I don't have a NEMA 14-30 outlet yet, and I don't think they offer the rebate incentive if I just install an outlet (will have to verify). Is 14-30 outlet okay to plug and unplug often? I hear 14-50 should not. The goal is to have rebate minimize cost of charger + install while avoiding a fire from a ghetto charger.

No plugs are intended for frequent unplugging.

I’d get something that can be bolted to the wall.

My electric company will rebate an outlet installation. You should check.

I doubt a 30a would be significantly less expensive - but here is what I would ask the electrician about - in order

- 14-50
- 6-50
- 14-30
- 6-30
- 6-20

Is it in a protected area like in a garage?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
No plugs are intended for frequent unplugging.

I’d get something that can be bolted to the wall.

My electric company will rebate an outlet installation. You should check.

Is it in a protected area like in a garage?

Yes, it's inside a detached garage. I'd have to get a second meter or submeter installed. I've heard this part can get pricey, so it may not be worth it. I'll have to find out costs of everything and assess.

We plug and unplug cell phone and laptop chargers all the time, daily almost. But maybe those 5-15 outlets are more durable and the lower current has less risk of issues.

Yes, it's inside a detached garage. I'd have to get a second meter or submeter installed. I've heard this part can get pricey, so it may not be worth it. I'll have to find out costs of everything and assess.

We plug and unplug cell phone and laptop chargers all the time, daily almost. But maybe those 5-15 outlets are more durable and the lower current has less risk of issues.
Yes, it’s the high current that makes a worn EV plug risky. Never notice it with a phone charger. A cellphone charger is pulling something like 15w. That’s well under 0.5a @ 120v

• Informative
I personally would never buy a cheapo EVSE. They have no regulatory agency testing, and I do not trust their design and engineering at that price point. There's too much power involved to take the risk. This is coming from someone with over 10 years experience as an electrical engineer at an electronics manufacturer.

Reactions: xilex
I personally would never buy a cheapo EVSE. They have no regulatory agency testing, and I do not trust their design and engineering at that price point. There's too much power involved to take the risk. This is coming from someone with over 10 years experience as an electrical engineer at an electronics manufacturer.
These chargers are not really chargers. They're just a relay with a basic switching circuit. The real charger which converts AC to DC and controls the charge rate, etc is in your car.
I wouldn't be too concerned about a cheap charger. The worst that can happen is the relay doesn't close.
I would, however, carefully select the wire, socket and circuit breaker connected to the charger.

If it were me I would go with a higher kW EVSE. Why limit yourself to 16a when you can get a 40a circuit to get twice as much charge for not that much more money. As you use it you will be VERY happy you have the higher amp and quicker charging. Heck, why not go all the way up to 50a which will give you even more.

If you move you can always take the unit with you, along with the circuit breaker if you wish.

These chargers are not really chargers. They're just a relay with a basic switching circuit. The real charger which converts AC to DC and controls the charge rate, etc is in your car.
I wouldn't be too concerned about a cheap charger. The worst that can happen is the relay doesn't close.
I would, however, carefully select the wire, socket and circuit breaker connected to the charger.
Um, so I never said it was a charger. I'm well aware of how these work. (And then you referred to it as a charger after stating it isn't, ha!).
That is definitely not the worst that can happen. It can easily spark or start on fire if internal wire terminations are not done correctly (a very likely problem spot in low quality devices). Also the electronic components in the internal power supply can easily fail if not up to the task. There is still 20, 30, 40A of current running through these things no matter what. Easy to have issues with that much power available, if if you're not the actual consumer of it.

• Love
Yes, I think I'm going to stick with purchasing a second UMC. At least I'll know it's a safe device. Not as slick as the wall charger, but I can remove it by just unplugging it in the future.

Are you sure that you need to even do that? Many new EV owners think they will need to carry a charge cable with them at all times but quickly learn that it isn’t necessary. Unless you have a specific need, I’d suggest waiting a while longer and track how often having one would’ve helped you.