Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are supercharge-limited packs really THAT limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely recommend getting multiple cars there if possible with each pack in case there is something else at play which may affect results... Getting 3 cars of each would be awesome.

The problem is that Vacaville only has 8 stalls and 4 Supercharger cabinets. You want to have each car on its own dedicated Supercharger (or at least have priority) so that you are not sharing power with the other stall connected to the same Supercharger cabinet.

That limits you to a maximum of 4 cars charging simultaneously, assuming there are no other cars charging there when you start the test.

The problem is that Vacaville only has 8 stalls and 4 Supercharger cabinets. You want to have each car on its own dedicated Supercharger (or at least have priority) so that you are not sharing power with the other stall connected to the same Supercharger cabinet.

That limits you to a maximum of 4 cars charging simultaneously, assuming there are no other cars charging there when you start the test.
Yeah, it's obviously going to take some time to run proper tests...

Any other A pack possible testers out there? I'd prefer Gilroy as it is an hour closer for me than Vacaville. Also toying with Fremont. Maybe I can arrange a time where Tesla can save a couple of spots for the test (just an idea at this stage have not asked)

I do normally just do screen shots of the phone. But the charger screen is nice for the final number.

Easier to use VisibleTesla or take charging screen shots in the App at a regular interval (5 or 10 minutes). On an iPhone you can capture the screen to the camera roll by pushing the power and attention (round) buttons at the same time.

Have fun!

Last edited:
We figured out a while back that's it's best to report data in terms of % SOC for this very reason. Hence, all the data that I post is SOC, not rated miles.
I think the reported SOC has changed in the recent firmware, so this is probably just as inconsistent. Well... maybe it's fine between cars on the same firmware, but not between cars on different firmware. I don't think 75% SOC is the same on 5.8 and 5.9... same with 0%.

- - - Updated - - -

Well... Let's not do Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon if we want to hog the chargers and hope for no other Model S's wanting to "share".... There will be a lot of pissed off Tahoe people if we do that (presumably some on this forum).

Uh, so I got my schedule, and the only day next week that I HAVE to work is Thursday. Monday is out. I will probably go in on Tuesday or Wednesday to study. Evidently, there supposedly might be a mandatory meeting one of those days... so probably whichever day has the mandatory meeting.

Hey Kraken, thanks for your enthusiasm. i think we should wait till everyone has 5.9 and I have contacted Tesla directly. Many many of the superchargers are operating at 95% or 97% capacity from time to time, so it would be really nice to start with a clean slate upfront to avoid a retest.

Looks like it is just yourself and roblab has responded. He is retired. I don't work either so scheduling for me should not be much of a problem although there are a few days that won't work here and there. PM me your regular non-TMC forum email, and I'll start a 3-way conversation in the "not yet regular world but non-forum world" between the three of us. So we won't have to clutter TMC to death on this, we will just let them know the results and progress.

If any other A pack people out there and just reading this thread, please PM me!

I think the reported SOC has changed in the recent firmware, so this is probably just as inconsistent. Well... maybe it's fine between cars on the same firmware, but not between cars on different firmware. I don't think 75% SOC is the same on 5.8 and 5.9... same with 0%.

- - - Updated - - -

Well... Let's not do Friday afternoon or Sunday afternoon if we want to hog the chargers and hope for no other Model S's wanting to "share".... There will be a lot of pissed off Tahoe people if we do that (presumably some on this forum).

Uh, so I got my schedule, and the only day next week that I HAVE to work is Thursday. Monday is out. I will probably go in on Tuesday or Wednesday to study. Evidently, there supposedly might be a mandatory meeting one of those days... so probably whichever day has the mandatory meeting.

I ended up with 153 in Mt. Shasta Mt. Shasta Time Test # 6 | Tesla Owner

No corresponding SOC as I was on 5.8 and just got pushed 5.9. Will have one for the upcoming "charge-off"

What was more interesting was the 10 mile difference with the same test and curve in Gilroy earlier. The temperature difference was about 25-30 degrees warmer.

Do you have the corresponding % SOC for 155 miles on your car?

That is a nice comparison actually. In all my tests, the best I got was 163 in 30. Warm enough weather is the apparent difference between 153 and 163.

The only quote we have from them is 20-90% charge rate comparisons. I'm still trying to guess what a 20% charge would be? Starting at 25 miles? Ending before range charge?

Vacaville charge-off scheduled for next week. Tesla had been officially informed but they haven't got back to me yet.

In the ideal world, we could do both tests at the same time. But would be really tricky trying to interrupt a charge from zero to 25 miles and be "accurate". So I'm leaning towards addressing their 20-90% claim not the 30 minute claim.

FWIW, the best I get on my A pack is ~125 miles/30 minutes starting from 0. I realize that this is not a great comparison. Planning on creating another nice charge curve on 5.9 once San Juan is up and running.

That is a nice comparison actually. In all my tests, the best I got was 163 in 30. Warm enough weather is the apparent difference between 153 and 163.

The only quote we have from them is 20-90% charge rate comparisons. I'm still trying to guess what a 20% charge would be? Starting at 25 miles? Ending before range charge?

Vacaville charge-off scheduled for next week. Tesla had been officially informed but they haven't got back to me yet.

In the ideal world, we could do both tests at the same time. But would be really tricky trying to interrupt a charge from zero to 25 miles and be "accurate". So I'm leaning towards addressing their 20-90% claim not the 30 minute claim.

Of course, 0%->20% and 90%->100% are where the A packs suffer the most is time versus the B packs. Maybe you can collect all of the data at the same time by starting low and ending high, recording the 20% to 90% in between. BTW, what is your basis for percentage numbers, %SOC or percent of rated miles vs last 100% charge?

Its actually a bit tricky to record all the data in-between. I'd be a bit worried particularly ramping up from 10-20% in catching the moment of 20%. It would be within a minute time frame though….something to think about.

I'm thinking % is % of SOC not rated miles. When you have 0 miles, you definitely have something left in the pack and you can't measure below that. So you can't measure 0-100 or 0-90. So I'm assuming 0 rated miles is something close to 10% and 20% is close to 25 miles. I'm worried about stopping or catching the car at 25 miles.

And realistically, I think most drivers will be supercharging from 25 or so not 0. Its nice to have a little bit of cushion for variable weather, unexpected detours etc… So I don't think starting at 25 would be bad.

I did ask Tesla to answer these questions for me to get the best charge-off, still waiting for a response. I'll bug them again perhaps Monday.

Of course, 0%->20% and 90%->100% are where the A packs suffer the most is time versus the B packs. Maybe you can collect all of the data at the same time by starting low and ending high, recording the 20% to 90% in between. BTW, what is your basis for percentage numbers, %SOC or percent of rated miles vs last 100% charge?