Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla coming out ahead in CA $5-6 gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla in Calif. is no real big savings, when you have $0.32 kWh electric rate, and just using 48amps @ 240V (Tesla home charger) is the same as running FIVE 5 ton Air conditioners at the same time😱

At 4 miles per kwh that is $.08 per mile in energy costs.

At $4.50 a gallon and averaging 30 MPG that would be $.15 per mile in energy costs. The Tesla will be about 40% less in per mile energy cost. I think that is significant.

Reactions: ucmndd and BMWM3Man
I'm just wondering. Is it cheaper to do Supercharging at $0.24 during off peak times? I live in Lake Forest CA / Orange County so I assume we all use So Cal Edison. Do these rates apply to me, it's on the official site?

I did the math and for a full 80 kwh charge it's an $8 difference. I haven't really looked at my electric bill too much, it just gets debited out of my bank account.

1646703230361.png

I'm just wondering. Is it cheaper to do Supercharging at $0.24 during off peak times? I live in Lake Forest CA / Orange County so I assume we all use So Cal Edison. Do these rates apply to me, it's on the official site?

I did the math and for a full 80 kwh charge it's an $8 difference. I haven't really looked at my electric bill too much, it just gets debited out of my bank account.

View attachment 778107
You got to move out of that plan; TOU-D-Prime is 21c from 9pm to 8am for the winter, You seem to be on TOU-D-4-9PM...

1646774555844.png
1646774574352.png

Of course solar is even better :cool:

You got to move out of that plan; TOU-D-Prime is 21c from 9pm to 8am for the winter, You seem to be on TOU-D-4-9PM...

View attachment 778481View attachment 778482

Of course solar is even better :cool:
I'm not exactly sure what plan I'm on. I can ask my mom, she was the one who set up my SCE bill, all I know is it gets deducted from my bank account each month.

I guess I'll inquire if I'm on the TOU-D Prime plan for 21c from 9pm-8am.

Let's see it takes me ~$25 to charge my Tesla completely, and $100 to fill up my Lexus. Even with normal prices you come out ahead comparing gas to charging. It's normally $70 to fill up my Lexus
If you need any convincing that Tesla is the answer in CA right now, please see the attached image:)

Attachments

• IMG_8760.png
    IMG_8760.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 62
Reactions: follow.johnny
Let's see it takes me ~$25 to charge my Tesla completely, and $100 to fill up my Lexus. Even with normal prices you come out ahead comparing gas to charging. It's normally $70 to fill up my Lexus
If you need any convincing that Tesla is the answer in CA right now, please see the attached image:)

That’s cheaper than gas but…never costs us more than $4 to charge at home. Obviously not Cali.

Checked the app against my daily power usage/cost probably a dozen times now.

FEBAB6C9-14E3-4DBC-AE11-BBCBE4C56B4F.png

In the discussion about the cost of charging at home. One thing that I really like about charging my EV at home is that the cost of charging is fairly consistent. Usually your per kwh cost of electricity is stable month to month with some changes year to year as new rates go into effect. However overall that cost is fairly stable and predictable. Prices for gasoline are anything but stable and predictable. From a budget planning perspective, I appreciate stability in my expenses.

Time to move I guess...

I pay no more than 10 cents and 5 cents overnight/off peak. I could get 0.1 cent if I sign up for the EV rate but then the rates go up (.20) during the day time. GA Power said..."this works better if your not home during the day"...

Or you can do a nights and weekend plan but again I don't want to be limited by when I can use electricity.
You aren't stopped from using electricity. It's just more expensive on peak.
Are you able to get your usage data down to the hour? If you can, you can just do the math on your demand and whether the other plan would be better.

A Tesla in Calif. is no real big savings, when you have $0.32 kWh electric rate, and just using 48amps @ 240V (Tesla home charger) is the same as running FIVE 5 ton Air conditioners at the same time😱

Please do point me to the source of these magical 5 ton AC units you’ve just invented that only draw ~2.3kw apiece because I’d sure like to buy one.

Last edited:
The math is pretty straightforward when comparing in terms per cost per mile: our LR Y as an example gets an average efficiency of .298 kWh/mile. That’s about 3.36 mile/kWh. That means in CA with current TOU supercharger prices of 24c/48c per kWh it costs 7 cents per mile or 14 cents per mile for our LR Y.

For an efficient ICE comparison a RAV4 hybrid gets a combined 40 MPG. The local Costco today sells gas for 5.25 which makes the cost 13 cents per mile.

The savings are still there assuming you are willing to make a choice and charge at home or during off peak hours.

If you want to have even more perspective a 17 MPG full size ICE truck equates to about 31 cents per mile at 5.25 per gallon of gas.

And yet I just ran a 240 mile trip and refilled my Model Y for $18 at a convenient Tesla Supercharger station.

To help you with the math, that'd be enough for 3 gallons of gasoline.

Your challenge then: Find us a mid sized gasoline SUV that gets 80 MPG? Once you do that, find one that get's 80 MPG and has a sub 5 second 0-60 time.

In the discussion about the cost of charging at home. One thing that I really like about charging my EV at home is that the cost of charging is fairly consistent. Usually your per kwh cost of electricity is stable month to month with some changes year to year as new rates go into effect. However overall that cost is fairly stable and predictable. Prices for gasoline are anything but stable and predictable. From a budget planning perspective, I appreciate stability in my expenses.
Unfortunately, I would argue that the cost of electricity in California will continue to rise at a dramatic rate for the next decade.

1648920123828.png

Unfr