Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla dashcams legal in Spain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Spain and plan to get a Tesla soon, but saw this article that made me question the legality of having a dashcam in Spain (drive fined €1,000)...

My understanding is there's a data protection law but it does not prohibit the dash cam itself.

An example of a data protection law violation is to post on youtube what you recorded from the dash cam so that the public can see license plates and faces.

But it should be fine if it's used for traffic purposes and crimes so that when there's an accident or crime, you can submit that to the police without showing those data to youtube.

However, in reality, some police would just automatically ticket drivers with dash cam. Ticket first, fight your ticket later.

So, it's not a problem for Tesla, but it might be a problem for drivers until all police are educated.

I live in Spain and plan to get a Tesla soon, but saw this article that made me question the legality of having a dashcam in Spain (drive fined €1,000):

The answer is right in the article. Yes, they are legal.

“The current laws in Spain do not prohibit the installation of such a device in vehicles.”