TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are Tesla destination charger placards colour coded in North America ( as per this video from Saul)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Webeevdrivers, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

He is video from Saul. I can't remember seeing the placard colour coding in North America the way he describes it. Honestly I have never paid attention. The two we use for our leaf are at private businesses and neither is signed. Is this something that is more common in certain areas.

Here is the video.

2. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Obviously that first line should have read, "Here is a video from Saul". Didn't catch it before the edit time expired.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

#3 Tam, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    If a Destination Charger is supplied by Tesla, Tesla would include a red Tesla sign also.

Some Destination Chargers are not free from Tesla and owners have to buy them, then a red Tesla Sign is not included. In this case, owners may put up a customized sign like a generic green sign instead.

4. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Thanks for the response. So obviously this coloured placard system is used in North America too then. I'll have to keep an eye out. Interesting.

5. Tam

Tam Active Member

Most destinations are free from Tesla with its accompanied red Tesla signs.

There are very few exceptions such as the below as my 2 dogs looking out the window and wondering what happened to red Tesla signs at La Piazza Ristorante Italiano, Tulare, CA near my home?

[​IMG]

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Many of the signs and colors around EV charging locations in the US are green, for energy efficiency. But the implementation is completely up to the owner.

7. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

The difference is that in Europe, Tesla uses the 7-pin Mennekes style connector, which is a standard connector which will fit other cars.

In the USA, there's no such think as a Tesla destination charger which will connect to a non-Tesla car. Hence the different methodologies used.

8. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Yes but adapters are available. We have one. In one of the locations where we charge at a Tesla destination charger the business owner actually provides the adapter.

Regardless.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that they didn't use j1772 in europe.