Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla Trade In Offer Negotiable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a quote from Tesla for my 2018 Model 3 last month before I order the MY. They gave me a $33,300 offer at the time which I'm fine with and I went ahead to complete all the delivery steps i.e. loan etc. Now I couldn't get delivery within 30 days and the offer have expired, the new offer I got is $30,400 for the same car with only ~1,000 miles more on the odometer.

Does anyone have any experience negotiating with Tesla for the trade in offer? or do they even open to negotiate at all?

I'm in the same boat and awaiting my new trade-in offer - guessing my deal will be as bad as you deal. Read in many threads that Tesla doesn't negotiate. Don't know that I'm willing to go from positive equity to negative equity to trade my 3 for the Y.

So I got a quote from Tesla for my 2018 Model 3 last month before I order the MY. They gave me a $33,300 offer at the time which I'm fine with and I went ahead to complete all the delivery steps i.e. loan etc. Now I couldn't get delivery within 30 days and the offer have expired, the new offer I got is $30,400 for the same car with only ~1,000 miles more on the odometer.

Does anyone have any experience negotiating with Tesla for the trade in offer? or do they even open to negotiate at all?
I'm 6 days away from my Model 3 Trade in quote from expiring. If they lower the offer by more than $500 I'm bailing out and cancelling my order. I want a new Model Y but I really can live without getting raped several thousands of dollars on an initial offer that was already low enough. The responsibility for not delivering my Model Y before the trade offer magically expires lies with Tesla.

Tesla is the most lowball offer out there and they sell your car at auction so they are giving you the lowest offer. I traded in my first car with them and took a 3k loss(Kia niro ‘18) for my second car the made me an offer in 25k range for ‘18 4x4 Tacoma (w/ less the 7000 miles on it). I ended up canceling the trade in. Then making a Craigslist ad and selling the truck for 6k more and in one day to dealer. If have the time sell it third party.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
Tesla just prompted me to make final payment before delivery but my trade in info is gone. They gave me an offer 4 days ago and I told my SA that my pay off amount has changed since I submitted my trade in. I was waiting for my SA to update my pay off amount before accepting the trade in offer. They uploaded the lending agreement on my account which have the VIN on it but not my trade info. VIN is 37XXX

Anyone been in this situation before? My SA is super not responsive. It takes him days to get back to my emails.

Tesla just prompted me to make final payment before delivery but my trade in info is gone. They gave me an offer 4 days ago and I told my SA that my pay off amount has changed since I submitted my trade in. I was waiting for my SA to update my pay off amount before accepting the trade in offer. They uploaded the lending agreement on my account which have the VIN on it but not my trade info. VIN is 37XXX

Anyone been in this situation before? My SA is super not responsive. It takes him days to get back to my emails.

I paid down my car while waiting for my Tesla M3 to be made and I took delivery and traded in my car with the offer they made me.

I received a check a week later from the lender of my old car for the overpayment.

I paid down my car while waiting for my Tesla M3 to be made and I took delivery and traded in my car with the offer they made me.

I received a check a week later from the lender of my old car for the overpayment.

But my trade in offer is not on the lending agreement or on the breakdown of the car cost. It’s showing that I’m buying the Y without any trade in. My tax should be less since I’m trading in a car.

But my trade in offer is not on the lending agreement or on the breakdown of the car cost. It’s showing that I’m buying the Y without any trade in. My tax should be less since I’m trading in a car.
Call whatever office you are dealing with and describe the problem. They should be able to port your info back in. I went through 2 orders with a trade in. My original order, then they dropped the price, but wouldn't lower mine, so I made another order. I had them move the info via a phone call.

Call whatever office you are dealing with and describe the problem. They should be able to port your info back in. I went through 2 orders with a trade in. My original order, then they dropped the price, but wouldn't lower mine, so I made another order. I had them move the info via a phone call.

Thanks! Will give it a try, but I’m pretty sure they’ll just ask me to reach out to my SA.

Re-evaluation came in $2800 lower than the low ball offer of $43300. I going to have to cancel my order. I want a Model Y but not really that badly. I paid off my Model 3 loan so going to keep it. 7 weeks of waiting for nothing. Oh and I don't want to sell it privately.

Re-evaluation came in $2800 lower than the low ball offer of $43300. I going to have to cancel my order. I want a Model Y but not really that badly. I paid off my Model 3 loan so going to keep it. 7 weeks of waiting for nothing. Oh and I don't want to sell it privately.

I expect that I'll be in the same situation. I want a Model Y for the space and higher driving position, but I love my Model 3 and if Tesla lowers the amount they will offer for trade in, I'll postpone my Y purchase until sometime in 2021, 2022, or even later. I have FSD on my Model 3, but not on the Y I ordered, so there's that. I can't justify $8000 for another FSD, and Tesla doesn't seem to include FSD when they value your trade in.

Same here I bought FSD with M3 at "only" $5000 US. I didn't buy it at $8000 for my MY order. Also my Model 3 loan was completely paid off. I had 45 months left of payments. I wanted the full purchase tax discount (15%) in effect on the Y with the trade in value. If I carried forward any debt balance from the M3 and added that to the MY loan I would lose on the tax shelter. Effectively Tesla lowered the trade in value by $2800 now I have the balance owing on delivery of $3400 when 24 hours ago it was ZERO. The extra 600 is the tax shelter I am losing. It's really UNACCEPTABLE that Model 3 depreciated in value by 6.5% in 30 days with below average mileage change. I'm calling BS on this tactic that the Tesla trade management thinks they have us to accept such a ridiculous re-evaluation offer.