Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla trade in $ offers fair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. Carvana offered me about $5000 more than Tesla for that exact car. You could get even more with a private sale to an individual, but it’s a lot less hassle to sell to a used car dealer such as Carvana, Vroom, or Carmax.

No. Carvana offered me about $5000 more than Tesla for that exact car. You could get even more with a private sale to an individual, but it’s a lot less hassle to sell to a used car dealer such as Carvana, Vroom, or Carmax.

lol...trying to sell my Model X and went to Carvana online for an appraisal and my options for my white 75D apparently "stumped" their algorithm?

Planning on trading in my 2013 Model S 60 for a Model 3 Performance as a convenience versus private sale. Do you think I'll be offered a fair deal?

If you price it fairly and sell quickly a private party sale might not be as much hassle as you think. We've sold all of our cars private party and it was not too much of a hassle and we basically made several thousand $ for a few hours of work.

The key is to take lots of details photos, write a detailed description, and price the car fairly.

I got an offer from Tesla, and then went to CarMax. CarMax's offer was 1k higher, Tesla offered to match it... in the end, I sold to an individual for more than both. So expect an offer to be close to what CarMax would give. Not sure about Carvana - sounds like they may be slightly better. The more appraisals you get the better!

Tesla’s trade offer was $7,500 less than Vroom and $200 more than Carvana in my case. The Tesla rep informed me that they do not price match trades on Tesla trades anymore and that only applies to non Tesla vehicles. If they had matched vrooms offer + tax savings it would have been worth while.

I sold mine private party for slightly more than vroom’s offer.

Tesla is currently dumping a lot of used tesla's on manhiem (dealer only auction) vs selling as cpo's.

I think they are doing this to limit the flood of used S as it takes a while before the dealers can sell once purchased off manhiem. Also this drives up the used market price as dealers mark their cars up for atleast $3k to $5k profit.

No, Tesla lowballs their own cars on trade-in. You’ll do much better on your own. FWIW, Autotrader.com did nothing for me, waste of money. Craigslist, Facebook, and this TMC forum got me several leads quickly.

Get your car detailed (or shine it up yourself, but make it pristine!). Price it fairly, take good photographs with good lighting with a pretty background.

Reactions: Don TLR
Great advice on the detailing and clean picturs, I've seen cars being posted for sale that are dirtier than my car has ever been. If that's how you sell it imagine how you normally keep it.. Open those frunks and trunks to clean along with all the door jams too..

No hard answers here. Sometimes Tesla will offer the most, and other times various car brokers like Caravan/CarMax will offer the best price. Usually top dollar is to sell private party retail instead of selling to a wholesaler middle man. They will need to mark up your price to sell to their end user at a profit.

Gotta shop around.

Carvana online estimate 35044
Only used Teslas 39950 suggested asking price
Carfax online estimate 39030 selling price
Kelly blue book 37630
Tesla trade in offer 36800
Private party offer 37050 not firm

I'm thinking of taking Tesla's offer, more convenient for me (drop off and pick up new) and less potential problems with buyers cross country.

Carvana online estimate 35044
Only used Teslas 39950 suggested asking price
Carfax online estimate 39030 selling price
Kelly blue book 37630
Tesla trade in offer 36800
Private party offer 37050 not firm

I'm thinking of taking Tesla's offer, more convenient for me (drop off and pick up new) and less potential problems with buyers cross country.
Not just convenient. Depending on the state of your residency, trade-in can can reduce sale tax on the new vehicle as well.