Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla trade in $ offers fair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think I'll be offered a fair deal?

In a word... no.

I ordered my first Tesla Model S about a year before production. As delivery came close, I got a trade-in quote on my couple year old Cadillac CTS. They didn't even look at it, and when I checked, the number they gave me was at the very bottom of the range for that car. I had planned on selling privately, but in the mad rush of what were very early Model S deliveries, my car came in months early and I had to scramble and so just took their trade amount.

When I went to trade that Model S in on a new X earlier this year, they again low-balled me on the trade-in value. I sold it privately easily (multiple offers) for almost double what Tesla offered on trade.

Now don't get me wrong... Tesla were very professional and I don't begrudge them making a buck, but in my experience, you can do better dealing with your trade on your own.

Tesla's original trade in offer on my 2013 85S was $22,200.
CarMax said $31,000, although that was only good for 7 days and has since expired, so we'll see what they offer the second time around.

Tesla said they wouldn't match CarMax, but they are apparently looking at trying to come closer before I take delivery.

Tesla's original trade in offer on my 2013 85S was $22,200.
CarMax said $31,000, although that was only good for 7 days and has since expired, so we'll see what they offer the second time around.

Tesla said they wouldn't match CarMax, but they are apparently looking at trying to come closer before I take delivery.

Wow, that's insulting offering $22,200. I guess I should feel very fortunate they're offering $39,100 for my 2013 Model S 85 trade-in.