Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Tesla windshields soft? Is the inside coated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 model S with 13k miles. I have 4 or 5 Very small chips in the windshield and now I have a straight line etched in the glass on the passenger side where the wiper blade stops at the clockwise sweep. I have never owned a car that had so many glass problems in such a short time. Also, when cleaning the inside of the windshield it doesn’t get “squeaky” clean like the outside of the glass. Could this be the result of a coating? Could a replacement be covered by warranty or insurance (I have Liberty Mutual)?

I have a 2018 model S with 13k miles. I have 4 or 5 Very small chips in the windshield and now I have a straight line etched in the glass on the passenger side where the wiper blade stops at the clockwise sweep. I have never owned a car that had so many glass problems in such a short time. Also, when cleaning the inside of the windshield it doesn’t get “squeaky” clean like the outside of the glass. Could this be the result of a coating? Could a replacement be covered by warranty or insurance (I have Liberty Mutual)?

hmmmm, my first thought is not is the glass soft, but how close are you driving behind the cars in front? Have you been taking lessons from my spouse? :D She's like 3 feet off everyone's bumper and has a gillion nicks in her Toyota with only 5K miles. Interestingly, I have a model X with more mileage (32,300 at present), driven coast to coast 4 times already, and I never have one single nick in the glass. Looks like the day I bought it. So, I guess I am saying I don't think the glass is soft. Might more be a combination factor of road conditions, speed, and how far you are from people in front. Sure, I suppose other factors too :)

On to your question, it seems that many insurance companies will cove getting nicks fixed if you so it as soon as you notice it before it becomes a bigger problem. Perhaps LM will do it too. Did you call to ask?

Reactions: mswlogo
All car interiors outgas plasticizers. Some are harder to deal with on glass than others. I had to resort to vinegar and water with plenty of rubbing with a coarse towel to get it off the first few times. I’ve had other cars as bad.

I have found Tesla glass sub-par when compared to 20+ other vehicles I own/have owned. I have lots of nicks in brand new Teslas with low mileage (~3-5K) and I'm dealing with them until it is time for windshield replacement. I even got a chip in the roof glass on the 2020 Model 3. Thankfully in FL we get 2 shield replacements per year if needed.

Only part of the problem is following other vehicles closely as mentioned above. One early morning on the highway the Model 3 windshield got nailed and there was NOBODY remotely close in front of me. Something (rock) was airborne and happened to be in the path of my car and upon inspection - 2 chips next to each other.