Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Teslas "Square"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
No, not the "uncool" kind, but the build quality kind. For a few years now I've believed that the primary reason Tesla doesn't have full frame doors is because the various "openings" (door opening, hatch opening, etc.) and, to a lesser extent, "stampings" (doors, hatch, hood) simply aren't square or precise enough and they need the "wiggle room" frameless door windows provide. In addition, the hatches (first on the Model S and now on the Model Y) just never seem to fit the openings quite right, and even if they manage to center them, the gaps around all of the edges are simply larger than cars from more traditional manufacturers. I also think this contributes to road and wind noise (a common complaint with Teslas).

I had hoped the Y would improve in this area over the S, but the ones I've seen actually look worse than the S.

I also think Tesla's push for progressively larger single piece castings is, at least in part, an attempt to crutch this. It's not a bad idea, but it only goes so far.

Thoughts?

My first modelS after a lengthy battle was bought back by tesla, in part because of the horrendous build quality. I guarantee you nothing was "square" in that vehicle. My second and current ModelS is better but still has the build quality of an econobox car. No joke my 24yr old Toyota Tacoma has better fit and finish. Teslas are great to drive and they offer some unique benefits, but fit/finish and build quality are definitely wouldn't make my top 20 list of reasons to buy one.

Sorry, I wish I had a more positive opinion.

BTW to the previous poster... I am long TSLA, enjoy making money on their stock, but still think their product is barely passable quality.

For a few years now I've believed that the primary reason Tesla doesn't have full frame doors is because the various "openings" (door opening, hatch opening, etc.) and, to a lesser extent, "stampings" (doors, hatch, hood) simply aren't square or precise enough and they need the "wiggle room" frameless door windows provide.

Thoughts?

I think it is more of a design choice than something that Tesla was "unable to do".

Tesla has been all about saving money in order to make their cars more affordable, so its not too hard to understand that they replaced a difficult to make door frame with a few lines of code in their computer.

It also saves some weight and may contribute positively to aerodynamics.

Reactions to the design are mixed, roughly 30% for/against/neutral

Opinions on frameless windows?