Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are Teslas still hard to repair and lenghthy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just chatted with my State Farm guy who also has a Tesla(M3). He loves the car but hates going thru body repairs. It's lengthy so you're probably out of a car for 2-3 months. And it's expensive but obviously insurance is paying but I'm also paying more premium for this.

I wouldn't say "hard to repair" - but yes, lengthy. Especially since Tesla's sales keeps breaking new records mean they're putting more cars on the road. Therefore, service centers are still struggling to keep up.

I had an alignment done on my '16 Model X 90D - estimated 2 hours, took them 5, with an update every hour after the 2nd as "it's almost done." Keep in mind alignments really SHOULDN'T take longer than 2 hours. Their explanation was that someone tripped on one of the wires at the last second and they had to restart the alignment process. They apologized and offered a free tire rotation on the next visit.

I took it back recently for diagnostics on some error codes... estimated 2 days completion - it took them 1 week, and they couldn't reproduce the issue and blamed a supercharger I charged at for producing the errors. I got a pretty hefty amount billed for the diagnostics ($570). They had it for a whole week, charged me for an issue that was produced by their own equipment, and they left the car with a bit less than half charge.

I love the car, but the service still have tons of room for improvement.

Take advantage of all the services you can while your car is under warranty... the Tesla service experience isn't a huge improvement over dealing with the regular car dealerships.

@buckets0fun you’re laughing now, but have you read all the recent posts from owners concerning the air suspension issue? Wait until you discover a problem due to a “ software update “ and Tesla blows you off.
🤣
It’s always fun watching new owners come in, proselytize their magic sauce, and vanish. How many tesla products do you own? Have you owned?

Your experience isn’t a universal truth.

Enjoy your day mr random internet person.

@buckets0fun you’re laughing now, but have you read all the recent posts from owners concerning the air suspension issue? Wait until you discover a problem due to a “ software update “ and Tesla blows you off.
You have a 2014 likely used that they Told you what needed to be fixed. You are the one that refused service as your “gut” thinks it’s something else. Your expectations are Way off track.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
From out of warranty DIYer perspective, its not any harder or different from ICE car, besides aluminum body for S/X which is also found on other ICE cars.
Obviously, anything that requires Toolbox is harder since u either need Tesla or pay big money to get ur hands on software yourself...
Like other mentioned, its hard to source 'new' parts from Tesla but if u ok with used ones, plenty of those around.
I fixed one car n it won't be last :)

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
From out of warranty DIYer perspective, its not any harder or different from ICE car, besides aluminum body for S/X which is also found on other ICE cars.
Obviously, anything that requires Toolbox is harder since u either need Tesla or pay big money to get ur hands on software yourself...
Like other mentioned, its hard to source 'new' parts from Tesla but if u ok with used ones, plenty of those around.
I fixed one car n it won't be last :)
Many Asian cars, dating back to (at least) 1991 in the USA, have had an aluminum chassis with aluminum body panels.

Third party shops, private individuals, and even Tesla can help with Toolbox access.

It is not hard to source parts from Tesla, assuming what you're trying to get isn't restricted. Even then, go to a Tesla approved body shop and have them order the parts for you with your VIN if you wish to have new AND can't buy direct.

People seem to enjoy making mountains out of mole hills.

Many Asian cars, dating back to (at least) 1991 in the USA, have had an aluminum chassis with aluminum body panels.
Didn't know, thanks!

Third party shops, private individuals, and even Tesla can help with Toolbox access.
The problem is there's not many of those 3rd party shops... Official Tesla access is limited for personal account...
Private individuals are also hard to find for average driver that's not scouting forums on daily..

It is not hard to source parts from Tesla, assuming what you're trying to get isn't restricted. Even then, go to a Tesla approved body shop and have them order the parts for you with your VIN if you wish to have new AND can't buy direct.
I meant all the parts delays but 'restricted' is also a problem. I don't recall any ICE dealers doing that...
I'm glad to hear if those shops will do that, i haven't personally tried that route, again cause 'approved' body shops are sparse...

People seem to enjoy making mountains out of mole hills.
I'm NOT saying its hard, i'm all for educating ppl that its not scary to own a tesla n repair it, but its definitely harder than ICE car for average person...

I meant all the parts delays but 'restricted' is also a problem. I don't recall any ICE dealers doing that...

I'm NOT saying its hard, i'm all for educating ppl that its not scary to own a tesla n repair it, but its definitely harder than ICE car for average person...
Many dealers have restricted parts or heavy requirements for a vin number and proof of ownership before selling you parts.

I disagree that this car is anymore difficult than a German/Italian canbus car from the last decade. Heck, a V10 Touareg is more complicated and that's from the early 00s

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
🤣
It’s always fun watching new owners come in, proselytize their magic sauce, and vanish. How many tesla products do you own? Have you owned?

Your experience isn’t a universal truth.

Enjoy your day mr random internet person.

y’all ain’t like Im the only person who has the problem. You are uninformed.

Again, you’re laughing now. Wait until some software update hits your vehicle, and you have issues; then Tesla blows you off.

• Funny
after fielding these last 2 responses, I definitely will never buy another Tesla again. I would take any other premium or luxury vehicle over my Tesla.

BUYER BEWARE! (you see these responses, thats exactly how they will treat you at the service center. previous Tesla owners tried to tell me this would happen and I didn’t listen)

age + rubber bellows on air suspension = issues.
Age + air compressor in the elements = issues.

Don’t make such broad statements about your old car and how it should last forever because magic. It’s how old?

I wish you luck if you think an MBZ/BMW/‘other premium or luxury vehicle’ won’t bring you down this path in a similar fashion. Complicated cars are not the same as a Honda/Kia, as an adult you will learn this.

Have a good day

age + rubber bellows on air suspension = issues.
Age + air compressor in the elements = issues.

Don’t make such broad statements about your old car and how it should last forever because magic. It’s how old?

I wish you luck if you think an MBZ/BMW/‘other premium or luxury vehicle’ won’t bring you down this path in a similar fashion. Complicated cars are not the same as a Honda/Kia, as an adult you will learn this.

Have a good day

IT HaS NOTHING to do with the age of the car. Are you paying attention? Some people have 2018s and 2020s that have suspension issues.

• Funny