Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the body shop guys well trained?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been in body shop for more than 2 month and finally they start assembly my car after painted. and they found that there are missing parts need to be ordered. and they told me they can only find this out during assembly phase. It's like myself is putting back together and figuring out things when doing it, professionals should work this way, they should know what missing at the beginning 2 month ago when they took apart my car.

My car has been in body shop for more than 2 month and finally they start assembly my car after painted. and they found that there are missing parts need to be ordered. and they told me they can only find this out during assembly phase. It's like myself is putting back together and figuring out things when doing it, professionals should work this way, they should know what missing at the beginning 2 month ago when they took apart my car.
I guess that you've never remodeled a house or a car, that's not an insult but sometimes you really never know what surprises will crop up until you disable things. I hope you can get the needed parts in a timely manner. as for how well does the body shop know tesla? the answer is that in theory they should be well acquainted with the car because the body shop techs have to attend tesla body repair "U" in order for the shop to earn the tesla certification.

I guess that you've never remodeled a house or a car, that's not an insult but sometimes you really never know what surprises will crop up until you disable things. I hope you can get the needed parts in a timely manner. as for how well does the body shop know tesla? the answer is that in theory they should be well acquainted with the car because the body shop techs have to attend tesla body repair "U" in order for the shop to earn the tesla certification.

I am not see this as an insult, actually I am pretty handy, I do wood working, built deck myself, I know this kind of work you always have uncertainties. but fixing things is different than remodeling, remodeling is trying to make things different. But fixing a modern car, I don't think this apply, you should have a part list for even a nuts, and what tension to use on each nuts. there is no such a thing that you find new things during a repair, especially it's just a body shop work and you do it everyday.

for me this is more like a managing and processing problem for either the body shop or Tesla

I am not see this as an insult, actually I am pretty handy, I do wood working, built deck myself, I know this kind of work you always have uncertainties. but fixing things is different than remodeling, remodeling is trying to make things different. But fixing a modern car, I don't think this apply, you should have a part list for even a nuts, and what tension to use on each nuts. there is no such a thing that you find new things during a repair, especially it's just a body shop work and you do it everyday.

for me this is more like a managing and processing problem for either the body shop or Tesla
I think you missed the point that I was trying to make which was you really don't know what you're dealing with until you start to take things apart.

I think you missed the point that I was trying to make which was you really don't know what you're dealing with until you start to take things apart.

I can see "You never know what you are dealing with until you take things apart", but unless I misread the OP, this sounds more like "They didn't know what they were dealing with until they went to put it back together again". Thats something different. They should have had a comprehensive parts list before then.

Send someone to training and there are a range of possible outcomes -
  • The individual learns a good amount of skills and a list of contacts to help in the future.
  • The individual gets some basic understanding.
  • The individual comes back with a list of the best nearby brew-pubs and a hefty expense report.

There is no excuse for missing or forgetting parts. Audatex, the software ALL certified body shops use has every single operation down to 10 minute labor incremements, including removal of parts and re-installation of parts. This includes all parts that need to be R/I'd around the part you're trying to get to, along with its "audited" removal and install time and any parts that need to be replaced as a result of removing said parts.

I'd give them a pass if this was 2013 and they switched to Audatex, but the software and the exclusivity have been around for almost 4 years now. No excuse in my (ex) professional opinion

• Helpful
Reactions: DC Autocraft
I can see "You never know what you are dealing with until you take things apart", but unless I misread the OP, this sounds more like "They didn't know what they were dealing with until they went to put it back together again". Thats something different. They should have had a comprehensive parts list before then.

Totally agreed. Taking it apart is how they came up with a list of parts to order from Tesla to begin with. Sadly, I'm speaking from recent experience. On the plus side, my shop in Vancouver is top notch and they're not winging it.

Update I got the part list that service king claim they can only find during the reassembly from Tesla service support. But from the part list, I can't believe that these are the parts can only be found missing during reassembly. Any suggestions?

the parts are, Front Apron Assembly, Frunk Molding, License plate holder and others.