Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the brakes on the MYLR crap??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only had mine for less than 2 weeks. Its great that I barely ever have to put my foot on the brakes due to regenerative braking however the couple times I felt like I had to brake hard it felt like the brakes were real crap. Almost like I would have had an accident had my reaction time been a 10th of a second later.

Maybe its because I am used to brembro brakes on my previous car (type-r) but honestly I just feel like I should be able to slam on the brakes and not feel like I am on ice.

Any others experiencing the same thing?

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
1644153375378.png

Reactions: fiehlsport
If you drive a smaller lighter car with brembo brakes, then the MYLR brakes won’t be equal. That doesn’t make them crap, just more like average IMO. I don’t have an issue with mine, but I was also not expecting them to perform the same as a lighter vehicle with brembos (which I have had before). Also, I almost never use the brakes in the Y which I love.

Reactions: advocate8
(I posted this elsewhere, as a joke...maybe the "phantom braking" is engineered into the system, to periodically clean the rotors????)

21k miles here, brakes are excellent, but do require periodic aggressive braking. I charge to 100% (which shuts of regen) every 3-4 weeks, then go for a slightly more aggressive drive. Brakes are stronger, and it also eliminates the first-drive-of-the-day squeal.

It's obvious that many people here don't actually "drive" their cars and rather they just steer them around. Well I drive mine and the brakes suck. There is no issue with bedding and all this other garbage. The brakes have a hard pedal and almost no bite to them. It is very un-nerving. I am going to do some more testing of the brakes but the pads need to grip better and when the brakes are applied there should be a noticeable deceleration like a regular car has.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pianewman and cgell
It's obvious that many people here don't actually "drive" their cars and rather they just steer them around. Well I drive mine and the brakes suck. There is no issue with bedding and all this other garbage. The brakes have a hard pedal and almost no bite to them. It is very un-nerving. I am going to do some more testing of the brakes but the pads need to grip better and when the brakes are applied there should be a noticeable deceleration like a regular car has.
People who "actually drive" their cars learn that all cars are different. If you have found that you don't like the way the Tesla brakes work, I would suggest that you adjust your driving style to accommodate the car. If you can't do that, I would not consider you an experienced driver.

I've owned four Teslas and never had an issue with the brakes. Sure, the cars are heavier, but you MUST allow for that, just like you would adjust for a Nissan Leaf being smaller and lighter, or a VW bug being very much smaller and lighter. The car will not change. If you find that YOU cannot change, perhaps you will have to quit driving Teslas and go back to your Ford or GM cars.

The brakes are like driving a truck. The regen braking spoils us but my Audi brakes were a dream and the Tesla is a let down on that aspect. I can see why people spend a ton of money on retrofitting various bits on the brakes.

And my brakes have 16K on the.. still feel like crap. But at least I have all the pads :)

I’ve only had mine for less than 2 weeks. Its great that I barely ever have to put my foot on the brakes due to regenerative braking however the couple times I felt like I had to brake hard it felt like the brakes were real crap. Almost like I would have had an accident had my reaction time been a 10th of a second later.

Maybe its because I am used to brembro brakes on my previous car (type-r) but honestly I just feel like I should be able to slam on the brakes and not feel like I am on ice.

Any others experiencing the same thing?
Yes I have a 2022 Model Y Performance and when I use the brakes there is a kinda loud metallic grinding sound and the braking quality seems sluggish. I felt my 2012 Chevy Volt had superior braking than a MYP! I took car to service center 3 weeks ago and tech drove with me. He said the grinding sound is normal for the brembro brakes and had no explanation for why the brakes seemed to have weak stopping power. He assured me he would compare to other MYP. My car has been in the service center for 3 weeks due to brakes and other reasons so still waiting to see what they discover.

A type R is a lighter car and probably comes with stickier tires - it’s going to have better braking distances. You could probably make up some of the difference slapping in some high performance tires on the car, but the extra weight will be tough to overcome no matter what.

As far as braking feel, you could always get pads with a better bite. But in general if you’re generating enough braking force to trigger ABS, you’re not going to improve distances without stickier tires.