TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are the Chinese Model 3's superior to US?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Chuck305, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Chuck305

Chuck305 Member

Will be interesting to see the reviews and comments of the Model 3's being delivered in China. Particularly if they have the same common defects as those here in the USA. Looks like Tesla put the frunk hooks back in for them.

Attached Files:

2. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

• Disagree x 1
  3. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

No defects on our new Model 3 LR. Picked up on Saturday.

• Like x 1
  4. Triple888

Triple888 Member

Pickup yesterday LR AWD black and white at Buena Park DC. It is flawless. Smooth Delivery in less than 15 minutes.

• Like x 1
  5. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

No issues with my Model 3 performance picked up on the 27th.

• Like x 1
  6. acarney

acarney Active Member

Interesting to note that they do have the front trunk bag hooks!

• Like x 1
  7. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

I thought that was interesting as well since i specifically noted in photos of the first one to roll off the line as not having them.

8. Evergreeen

Evergreeen Member

Probably, you get a different level of worker for the money in china vs NorCal

9. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

It was a requirement of the Chinese government!:D

Maybe not, but it is possible that they got all of the frunk clips we were supposed to get and kept them!

10. acarney

acarney Active Member

Is the resell value of my SR+ higher because I’m pre-hook removal? If so, how much higher? :p

11. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

About $2.98 plus $2.00 labor - $4.98.

Deleting frunk clips could not have been a cost saving measure. My guess above is about what Tesla would have paid to have them installed on the line. It is strange that Tesla doesn't even sell them in their store.

• Like x 1
  12. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

If Tesla does a good job with global standardization there should be no difference in overall quality between cars made in California, Shanghai, or Germany.

China has a lot of manufacturing capacity. They build iPhones, well respected for being built to very high standards. This is because Apple monitors it closely to ensure they build them right.

And of course China also produces a lot of cheap crap that ends up in Walmart. But that has more to do with the company designing the products, not the people building them.

13. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums

I get really confused sometimes by what people disagree with here. @Type 5, care to elaborate?

14. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

New users often hit the disagree button randomly without realizing that their username is stamped with the disagree button. I’ve learned not to waste time on people who use that button without stating what they disagree with. It’s passive aggressive and adds no value to the forum. I’m not really sure why we even have that button. It just needs to go away.

15. super20g

super20g Member

If they are not better quality then that would really suck. Building a new plant from scratch, you better improve your issues some...

16. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

Will the MIC even be sold in the US? Would love to see one first hand to compare them. Maybe I can make trip eventually and find someone with a US car and compare with a MIC.