Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Cybertruck's looks growing on you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the fastest production truck ever, and any impact resulting in frame damage could potentially total the vehicle...

Chances are, most insurance companies won't insure it, and those that do might charge a premium and deductible so high that it becomes unaffordable for a good portion of the million+ pre-orders.

I don't think that's how they'll do it. Insurance companies are very slow to move. My guess is they'll insure like any pickup when it starts, then they'll watch it. We might see a leap, it might not be so bad. Remember, small dents are the bigger problem for money. It might be that they don't get enough small ones to really cause much issue, therefore the few major ones won't be a deal breaker. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out!

I don't think that's how they'll do it. Insurance companies are very slow to move. My guess is they'll insure like any pickup when it starts, then they'll watch it. We might see a leap, it might not be so bad. Remember, small dents are the bigger problem for money. It might be that they don't get enough small ones to really cause much issue, therefore the few major ones won't be a deal breaker. It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out!
They have armies of actuaries that will pour over the maintenence materials and speak directly with Tesla on parts costs. They'll also be monitoring progress of official crash test results. They'll want to know what it takes to cut out damaged sections of the exoskeleton and weld back in a custom manufactured section while maintaining alignment and avoiding structural battery cells.

Its going to become closer to an aircraft repair process, with engineers in the mix to get each unique wrecked CT back on the road.

The costs of all Tesla car insurance is sky high compared to other standard ICE equivalents.

I dont share your optimism. Granted I'm always pessimistically realistic.

They have armies of actuaries that will pour over the maintenence materials and speak directly with Tesla on parts costs. They'll also be monitoring progress of official crash test results. They'll want to know what it takes to cut out damaged sections of the exoskeleton and weld back in a custom manufactured section while maintaining alignment and avoiding structural battery cells.

Its going to become closer to an aircraft repair process, with engineers in the mix to get each unique wrecked CT back on the road.

The costs of all Tesla car insurance is sky high compared to other standard ICE equivalents.

I dont share your optimism. Granted I'm always pessimistically realistic.

I do think that they may indeed give us high prices on insurance. I think that's why Tesla started their own insurance company! However, they are very slow. I worked in IT for 30 years until 15 years ago, some of the machines I worked on are still being used at those companies. They move very, very, slowly!

I do think that they may indeed give us high prices on insurance. I think that's why Tesla started their own insurance company! However, they are very slow. I worked in IT for 30 years until 15 years ago, some of the machines I worked on are still being used at those companies. They move very, very, slowly!
They spend money very very slowly ;). And they'll lower premiums very very slowly until the actuary tables justify a lower premium based on gender/region/credit score etc etc.

LOL, VERY few cars have ever sold one million units in one year, much less 10 consecutive years...
Yep. Ford sells the most at about 900,000 F-150s per year. I would be surprised if that new plant in Texas can produce 250,000 a year. If you believe the million reservation number and then figure 50% will back out and plus lot of folks have multiple reservations trying to hedge their bet on getting one early, we are talking about demand more in the 300k range. That’s my guess. About a 1/3 with reservations will actually buy. You also have to factor in increased competition. F-150 Lighting will be very strong and GM will be answering back with an EV Silverado/Denali.

I think you are correct, in ship repair, this kind of welding would require third party approved welding procedures and a welder who has been specifically approved for the specific procedure. If may require specific pre/post heat as well as heat relief cuts. Those types of repairs are going to be expensive. But these days any body damage is really expensive. It might actually be cheaper than my recently "totaled" Prius - over 5K estimate to replace a front bumper, front quarter panel and lights with NO structural damage noted. The insurance company accepted the price, so guessing it was a legit estimate. (worked out, replaced the Prius with a 15 MS 70D...)

I'm also curious if will even be possible to disguise a weld, from an aesthetics standpoint I'm not sure I want an insert welded in my front quarter panel area. Has anybody seen anything authoritative on how repairs can be done? I've seen speculation from people who have never done any welding or inspected welding...

Reactions: CHGolferJim
That's true, let's call it hyperbole! I do think it will be wildly successful, I think it may be close to the Ford f-150. It is going to be interesting to see.
I think much like Tesla's other models, they are going to sell all they can produce. Tesla sold right around 500,000 across all models last year. I think Ford and Rivian will also sell all the EVs they can produce. Mach E waiting time is 16+ weeks for the lower trims/RWD and 28+ weeks for the GT.

It’s my belief they will lower premiums only when the competition lowers their premiums. :rolleyes:

Ah, the Wonder and the glory of the free market system. Somebody will want more business, and they'll lower their prices. Then others will, and on and on. The free market works! It'll work in this case too. As long as the politicians and government bureaucrats don't get in the way.

Reactions: Tom Griff
Ah, the Wonder and the glory of the free market system. Somebody will want more business, and they'll lower their prices. Then others will, and on and on. The free market works! It'll work in this case too. As long as the politicians and government bureaucrats don't get in the way.
Until someone forms a cartel, and no one goes below an agreed to limit. You would need the government to break it up 😉

There is also upwards pressure on costs of parts and labor, plus if you go for bargain insurance you may be left without enough coverage or a company that denies your claim because of X,Y and Z loopholes that keeps their costs lower.

I'm also curious if will even be possible to disguise a weld, from an aesthetics standpoint I'm not sure I want an insert welded in my front quarter panel area. Has anybody seen anything authoritative on how repairs can be done? I've seen speculation from people who have never done any welding or inspected welding...
A good welder can weld, grind, then polish the weld where it's literally invisible.

Whether or not the finish would be the same post-repair is the question. But assuming the polished weld point matches the rest of the truck you'll never know it was there.

Reactions: Tom Griff
A good welder can weld, grind, then polish the weld where it's literally invisible.

Whether or not the finish would be the same post-repair is the question. But assuming the polished weld point matches the rest of the truck you'll never know it was there.
How much does such a skilled welder charge per hour? How many exist in North America? How many of those work at autobody shops...

Everything is possible... at the right price. The fewer the skilled laborers in the right jobs, the higher the right price.

How much does such a skilled welder charge per hour? How many exist in North America? How many of those work at autobody shops...

Everything is possible... at the right price. The fewer the skilled laborers in the right jobs, the higher the right price.
Now hiring - Cybertruck welders. I am still trying to figure out how it will pass the crash testing. I thought it is supposed to crumple up to absorbd some of the impact. Is this even possible with a welded steel body?

I think those sharp pointy corners in the rear will be more susceptible to damage. Can you open the tailgate with the cover closed? That windshield is huge. Have they done cold weather testing to ensure the defrost system can handle that large windshield? The Truck that Musk is driving around has no wipers. Will the front of the truck change near the cowl to incorporate the wiper mechanisms?