Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Destination Charging Stations free, like the 8kw and 16kw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all fairness, you can;t expect a front desk person, likely not making much to know the intricacies of car charging standards. We usually go by Plugshare data confirmed by others and if we call, that is to make sure the charger is working and available but always have a backup.

If you are a Tesla owner it will reach a point soon where there are just as many charging options as gas stations!
Another example is that the Tesla Model 3 don't support 277V charging. This will be more interesting when they are more mainstream.

Wow, many replies here thanks! I was asking in a way that I might need as emergency, good tip to ask for permission before just parking there and plugging. But also good to know when choosing an Hotel chain which one supports EV in general. I know Airbnb hosts are starting to offer Nema plugs :)

One more thing. The Tesla DB his highly inaccurate about the kW delivered by the WC. This is evident only if you have a 72A or 80A on-board chargers in your Tesla. The [URL='https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=30.855641722156395%2C-95.96503087500002%2C30.44983042421501%2C-96.84393712500002&zoom=11&filters=store%2Cservice%2Csupercharger%2Cdestination%20charger&location=dc3906' said:
public charger[/URL], delivers 20kW to compatibly equipped Teslas (and not the 'up to 16 kW' from the Tesla DB). However, this is an anomaly among the (soft) errors in the Tesla DB. Some 20-30% that are alleged to be up to 16 kW, are really 'up to 8 kW', or less in some cases.

You would think that Tesla could "crowd source" the charger's peak value by correlating the car's GPS with charging rates.