TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

are the falconwings dangerous ?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Xlover, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Xlover

Xlover New Member

see this Collage - what do you think ? afull21.jpg

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Something of a silly question. Any door can hit you in the head if you put your head in the path of the door. I'm sure the door will have the necessary sensors to stop if/when it encounters resistance. It may even have proximity sensors to cause it to stop before it hits something.

Also, that guy looks like he's 7 feet tall and hovering about a foot off the ground.

3. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

No more dangerous than every minivan or SUV currently on the street. Only difference is their doors open aft and have one less hinge.

4. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Probably about as dangerous as the lift gate on the Model S (and every other hatchback) -- not dangerous at all -- but you could hit yourself in the head if you wanted to.

5. MileHighMotoring

I think if Abraham Lincoln and his pink couch try to get into a Model X, they'll be fine. That's pretty much common knowledge. Did you even try searching "Lincoln AND couch" on this forum before posting? (I'm just joking around with you obviously)

I've not no safety concerns at all. I've had automatic SUV rear hatches opening up "in my face" for 15 years without injury.

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

I would think they use the same functionality as the power lift-gate currently used for Model S's trunk, and that one is pretty darn sensitive for obstructions.

7. Gzrgmr

Gzrgmr Member

I closed the rear gate on my wife's head one time. Now THAT was dangerous. Hopefully Tesla will prevent me from doing something like that again.

8. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

#8 vandacca, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Only dangerous if you're Abraham Lincoln trying to operate a car for the first time in his living room.

9. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I think Abe will be fine.. but upon further analysis, I think you might have leaked a new Model X feature. The new doors so easily a simple piece of paper can trigger the mechanism. Fantastic.

Also, from what I can tell, the 'pink' couch is actually the challenging middle row that Elon has spoken about. What appears to be happening here, is that the seat (which looks a lot like a pink couch) slides out, for you to sit on.. then I'm sure it retracts back in after you've sat down... BRILLIANT TESLA!

10. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

it looks like he's trying to give the MX his grocery list. that or he's using a napkin to clean off the side mount cameras.

11. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Or, he could be asking the Model-X AutoPilot to take him to the address written on the paper. This is one of the new, secret features of the Model-X. Hand-writing OCR entry into Navigation system.

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Until there are deliveries and/or design studio opening, the Model X subforum has officially jumped the shark. Move along everyone, all we have left to discuss is the site TOS and whether exterior wood paneling will be an option.

13. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Is this a serious question? It might be, but at the same time, it feels like a gag -- I feel an urge to come up with absurd collages now involving famous figures (or just characters who look like them) getting body parts slammed in various automotive doors and hatches. If serious, I don't think it's any more dangerous than other cars with powered rear hatches. If not serious, I'm thinking Benjamin Franklin with a papasan chair is about to get hit in the head from a rear hatch opened by a foot wavy sensor.

14. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

I was honestly hoping for a decapitated cyclist collage ... I still miss that thread.

15. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

How much wood that cost and where do you think the paneling would go? :wink:

16. Zextraterrestrial

I thought he was planning on putting a couch in the X?
    will it fit? that is the question right?

17. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

Whoa..... Far more to discuss. Where is Abe's plaid shirt?

18. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but that is Earl Kimberly, not Abraham Lincoln!

kimberly.jpg
    'He improves, if possible, but he accepts always the accomplished fact'

19. Vitold

Vitold Member

Falcon Wing doors have to contend with wind and gravity, sliding doors do not.

20. thegruf

thegruf Member

Wow - she must really have pi$$ed you off to do that to her.

Guess it would have been pretty dangerous after though, would have had to run like hell :D