Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are the falconwings dangerous ?

Xlover

Jun 12, 2015
vienna, austria, europe
see this Collage - what do you think ?
afull21.jpg

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Something of a silly question. Any door can hit you in the head if you put your head in the path of the door. I'm sure the door will have the necessary sensors to stop if/when it encounters resistance. It may even have proximity sensors to cause it to stop before it hits something.

Also, that guy looks like he's 7 feet tall and hovering about a foot off the ground.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
SF Bay Area
Probably about as dangerous as the lift gate on the Model S (and every other hatchback) -- not dangerous at all -- but you could hit yourself in the head if you wanted to.

May 27, 2015
Parker, CO
I think if Abraham Lincoln and his pink couch try to get into a Model X, they'll be fine. That's pretty much common knowledge. Did you even try searching "Lincoln AND couch" on this forum before posting? (I'm just joking around with you obviously)

I've not no safety concerns at all. I've had automatic SUV rear hatches opening up "in my face" for 15 years without injury.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
I would think they use the same functionality as the power lift-gate currently used for Model S's trunk, and that one is pretty darn sensitive for obstructions.

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
Only dangerous if you're Abraham Lincoln trying to operate a car for the first time in his living room.

Last edited:

jhs_7645

VIN: #3305
Jul 1, 2012
Camas, WA
I think Abe will be fine.. but upon further analysis, I think you might have leaked a new Model X feature. The new doors so easily a simple piece of paper can trigger the mechanism. Fantastic.

Also, from what I can tell, the 'pink' couch is actually the challenging middle row that Elon has spoken about. What appears to be happening here, is that the seat (which looks a lot like a pink couch) slides out, for you to sit on.. then I'm sure it retracts back in after you've sat down... BRILLIANT TESLA!

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
it looks like he's trying to give the MX his grocery list. that or he's using a napkin to clean off the side mount cameras.

Or, he could be asking the Model-X AutoPilot to take him to the address written on the paper. This is one of the new, secret features of the Model-X. Hand-writing OCR entry into Navigation system.

CmdrThor

Jul 24, 2013
Marietta, GA
Until there are deliveries and/or design studio opening, the Model X subforum has officially jumped the shark. Move along everyone, all we have left to discuss is the site TOS and whether exterior wood paneling will be an option.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Is this a serious question? It might be, but at the same time, it feels like a gag -- I feel an urge to come up with absurd collages now involving famous figures (or just characters who look like them) getting body parts slammed in various automotive doors and hatches. If serious, I don't think it's any more dangerous than other cars with powered rear hatches. If not serious, I'm thinking Benjamin Franklin with a papasan chair is about to get hit in the head from a rear hatch opened by a foot wavy sensor.

Jason S

Model S Sig Perf (P85)
Apr 20, 2012
Rocklin, CA
Until there are deliveries and/or design studio opening, the Model X subforum has officially jumped the shark. Move along everyone, all we have left to discuss is the site TOS and whether exterior wood paneling will be an option.
How much wood that cost and where do you think the paneling would go? :wink:

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
No more dangerous than every minivan or SUV currently on the street. Only difference is their doors open aft and have one less hinge.

Falcon Wing doors have to contend with wind and gravity, sliding doors do not.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
I closed the rear gate on my wife's head one time. Now THAT was dangerous. Hopefully Tesla will prevent me from doing something like that again.

Wow - she must really have pi$$ed you off to do that to her.

Guess it would have been pretty dangerous after though, would have had to run like hell :D

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC