Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the front seats of the Model X and S interchangeable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla use the same seat in both vehicles? Has anyone ever checked that?

I'm looking to upgrade the seats in my 2013 MS. I don't understand what Tesla was thinking when they designed those seats. I'm an average sized guy but I have to sit very crooked to wedge myself between the left bolster on the seat bottom and the right bolster on the seat top to stay planted.

Oh wow. I forgot about this post.

I never got an answer. I ended up getting a seat from 057 tech. But I think there's a good possibility they're compatible.

One way to check would be to compare the part numbers between the x and s. I know they use a lot of the same parts. If those parts that we know are shared use the same part number then if the seats are also shared then I would think they would have the same part number as well.

Reactions: Solar40
But the bracket is removeable right?

If so then party on.

Yes.

However, there are some caveats: There are wiring changes required for putting in seats that have the moveable headrest into vehicles that didn't originally have them (pre-refresh S's). Clarifying this because I, admittedly, didn't read the entire thread before I replied initially. Yes all S/X seats will physically fit interchangeably, but see below.

In pre-refresh S's the steering column position was controlled by the driver seat memory module. When they added the moveable headrest (with the release of the X, and the refresh S) they moved the steering column position control wiring to another unrelated module and used that channel for controlling the headrest and lumbar.

So you can pop the bracket off of seats from an X and put them into an S, sure. But if you're trying to put one with a moveable headrest into a pre-refresh S, it won't actually work... and you won't be able to position your steering column anymore. You can put the non-movable headrest ones in without issue.

Making the moveable headrest seats work is technically possible on pre-refresh S's, but requires a bunch of changes to the car's wiring harnesses to re-route the steering column movement controls from the driver seat to the sunroof control module (yeah, you need a sunroof for it to work also). I don't suggest attempting it, honestly. It's a bit of a nightmare getting to everything.

Just want to be clear on this. Let's forget about the X for now. If I used a premium seat from a 2017 Model S with the movable headrest would I still have all those issues you stated?

Also, What if you only needed the headrest to move once. Is it still difficult to do. Once it's moved up and separated from the back of the seat I don't need it moved anymore. Other folks talked about putting some kind of switch in to move the head rest up and down. I don't need all that.

If I used a premium seat from a 2017 Model S with the movable headrest would I still have all those issues you stated?
Yes.

Also, What if you only needed the headrest to move once. Is it still difficult to do. Once it's moved up and separated from the back of the seat I don't need it moved anymore. Other folks talked about putting some kind of switch in to move the head rest up and down. I don't need all that.
Not really sure, but the seats with the moveable headrests won't control the steering column movement as is required on cars with seats that don't have moveable headrests... so it wouldn't just be the headrest that wouldn't work.

I’m willing to take a chance on the premium seats with the headread. My wife has them in her 2018 p100d and they are so comfortable. Several folks on the forum went that route also and have had success. Thanks for your info. Much appreciated! I already have a drivers seat I just need the passenger seat.

Attachments

• 81EDE015-A03D-49E9-892B-6F459EDB64FB.jpeg
    81EDE015-A03D-49E9-892B-6F459EDB64FB.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 2F7B5AD2-DB3E-4B69-8E6D-CF2B68BA8C48.jpeg
    2F7B5AD2-DB3E-4B69-8E6D-CF2B68BA8C48.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 109
I’m willing to take a chance on the premium seats with the headread. My wife has them in her 2018 p100d and they are so comfortable. Several folks on the forum went that route also and have had success. Thanks for your info. Much appreciated! I already have a drivers seat I just need the passenger seat.
I absolutely hate the "Premium" seats as a larger human being, width wise. I'm north of deuce-and-a-half with an athletic build and, after having owned all versions of Model S seats save for the newest version that just came out, these "Premium" seats are easily the least comfortable. If they made the first seats or Next Gens in white to match my 2017 that has them I would drive to you to trade you.

The problem doesn't surface for around town driving and shorter trips but, anything longer than about an hour and my legs start to go numb and the pressure causes me to basically have to sit full on sideways on my hip in my seat which is just awful for long periods, not to mention dangerous.

The issue is that the bolsters are too narrow and my femurs with all of my weight sits right across the bolster frame. Because of this, they might as well not even have padding because it literally starts to cut off blood circulation to my legs and they go throbby/numb. My first experience with this was moments after landing in Phoenix to buy my 2017 P100D from the previous owner and setting out for a straight through drive back to Colorado. It was quite possibly the most miserable road trip I've ever taken to include countless trips from Colorado back to Nebraska in the winters during blizzard season in my younger years which often times sucked bigly. I digress. We took a recent trip back to Nebraska in our 2016.5 w/Next Gen seats after driving this 2017 around for months and those seats are infinitely more comfortable for this 5-hour round-trip.

I see your comment about the side bolsters on the original seats and those seats are much "flatter" by comparison to the Next Gen seats and the "Premium" seats are god awful in this very respect. If you dislike the bolsters on the 2013 seats you will regret ever wanting to mess with those if you make the trade. The adjustable headrest "cool" factor wears off rapidly and I never adjust them or experience any added head support with them that I thought I would.

Last edited:
I get it. I see how they would be uncomfortable for a bigger person. We have them in our other model s and they feel great to us. There are several folks who did this conversion with great success and the didn’t have the problem with the steering column. I just have to find someone on the east coast who can help me with this.

hi guys! thanks for the read, good information! My question - I have the 'next gen' Recaro seats which admittedly aren't too bad, but they're nothing on how comfortable the facelift seats were! is there a version of those in house Tesla seats which would work with my pre refresh s? forgive me if that's already been answered!

thanks!

T