Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires really that bad???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price is right.
They seem to have lower rolling resistance than the Primacy MXM4.

They have a tendency to skip across the road surface when turning. (The MXM4s just stick on the same corners.)
They seem way more flat prone.
sure about the RR-part with same milage? Goodyear europe gives them a horrible RR-rating themselves. RR-drops with several % when the tire becomes worn. Several other tires have way lower like Nokian R2 or Goodyear asymmetric 2. Have you compared MXM4 with RS-A2 at similar milage? :) It's not that I don't believe you but Goodyears own tests seems to rate the MXM4 way better... The RR penalty of the stocktires dropped from 20 to 10% compared to the Nokians after driving 300 km and have been stable after that. Could also be that the MXM4 has way lower RR in wet conditions but not in dry?

- - - Updated - - -

For rolling resistance they are okay compared to other 19' and better than most 20/21'. But compared to for instance Nokian R2 (ultra low RR-Tire) and Goodyear asymmetric 2 19' they are noticeably worse. Several people have compared them after driving a lot and especially the nokians beat them with roughly 10% which is actually 30-50 kms...

Last edited:
For rolling resistance they are okay compared to other 19' and better than most 20/21'. But compared to for instance Nokian R2 (ultra low RR-Tire) and Goodyear asymmetric 2 19' they are noticeably worse. Several people have compared them after driving a lot and especially the nokians beat them with roughly 10% which is actually 30-50 kms...

I have Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires and was pleasantly surprised with the rolling resistance/range they delivered when I had them installed. By that I mean I noticed absolutely no difference between them and the stock Goodyears I took off at the time. I recently put the Goodyears back on for the summer and, again, no difference in my efficiency/range numbers doing the same drives at the same temperatures. Of course my efficiency gets better in the warmer weather and worse in the cold, so I can only compare for the few weeks around my tire swap time. My car has about 23,000 miles on it split fairly closely between the Nokians and the Goodyears.

mknox: That sounds strange. I know of about 5 other people who are unable to match the Nokian R2 on consumption and we all get about 10% less range with stock GYs. Did you use the same tire pressure on the R2`s? Nokian specifies that you SHOULD use 10% more tirepressure due to the rubber being very soft and that handling actually improves. If you use the same TP on Nokians and GY, that could perhaps explain why you get the same numbers with both tires.

sure about the RR-part with same milage? Goodyear europe gives them a horrible RR-rating themselves. RR-drops with several % when the tire becomes worn. Several other tires have way lower like Nokian R2 or Goodyear asymmetric 2. Have you compared MXM4 with RS-A2 at similar milage?

I have no doubt the Nokian R2 are far better than both in terms of RR. As for the others, there's no reason for me to suspect the European RS-A2 are the same tires as the ones sold here.

13,000 miles GY vs. 8,000 MXM4. 193 Wh/mile is the best with the GY, 207 has been the best with the MXM4. Now the MXM4 will get better as they wear (and perhaps they improve more as they wear than the GY--no way of knowing this--and the ability to stick to the road is better in the MXM4 so I wouldn't get the GY again.

They do not actually sell RS-A2 og MXM4 here in Norway, they come with the car. I have found one shop online that sells RS-A1 but that`s the closest I got. Actually whole-season-tires is almost impossible to buy since no one buys them, they are totally worthless on icy roads in the winter, actually almost no one buys european wintertires (most of the wintertires you can buy in the US are "european") either, many buys studded and almost all studless are nordic wintertyres (Nokian R\R2 og Michelin Xi3) which perform horribly\okay on wet and dry roads but excel at snow\ice :) I know however that different revisions and small differences between same tire could mean something. I have 1 route I drive almost every day. I always got 124-128 Wh\km (except a couple of times with horrible traffic where I ended up around 130-140) with the R2. The best I have managed with the GY`s is 139 Wh\km, I usually get around 150. One thing I have noticed with some tires is that the estimated number for weardown (440 on GY) is way lower or somewhat higher on different tires which I would guess means that it takes longer or shorter time before you get the weardon RR-reduction.

mknox: That sounds strange. I know of about 5 other people who are unable to match the Nokian R2 on consumption and we all get about 10% less range with stock GYs. Did you use the same tire pressure on the R2`s? Nokian specifies that you SHOULD use 10% more tirepressure due to the rubber being very soft and that handling actually improves. If you use the same TP on Nokians and GY, that could perhaps explain why you get the same numbers with both tires.

No, I maintained the Tesla recommended tire pressure of 45 PSI on both sets of tires. I was not aware of this recommended 10% bump. The dealer where I purchased the tires made no mention of this.

FWIW, I'm not complaining at all about the Nokians. They're the best winter tires I've ever used. It's just that in my past typical experience, efficiency drops when I put my winters on but that did not happen with the Nokians and I was pleasantly surprised to not lose any range with them. I did not, however, gain any range.

The best part of Eagle RSAs in general is they make great smoke shows.

They're loud, snow traction is alright.. in the dry they have good grip and let go progressively so that's a bonus.. Did I mention they're loud? and as they weird they only get louder.

The best part of Eagle RSAs in general is they make great smoke shows.

They're loud, snow traction is alright.. in the dry they have good grip and let go progressively so that's a bonus.. Did I mention they're loud? and as they weird they only get louder.

I was kind of shocked how much quieter my dad's Lincon MKX Hybrid was than my Model S inside the cabin. Of course my tires are 50% worn, and he has new MXV4's on his car...

I'll probably be replacing all 4 tires at my next service center visit (31K miles). I've been running on the Goodyears - the SC can also install the Michelin (Primacy?) tires for an additional $63 per tire.

The Tesla website claims a 3% range improvement with the Michelin tires. Is this true?

Any recommendations on using either the standard Tesla Goodyears or Michelins?

I'll probably be replacing all 4 tires at my next service center visit (31K miles). I've been running on the Goodyears - the SC can also install the Michelin (Primacy?) tires for an additional $63 per tire.

The Tesla website claims a 3% range improvement with the Michelin tires. Is this true?

Any recommendations on using either the standard Tesla Goodyears or Michelins?

I actually recommend a proper summer tire. Goodyear Eagle F1 is a good one with low rolling resistance and low noise. Or Michelin PS3 but a little noisier though.

When goodyears have the lowest rolling noise, how are they loud compared to the other tires?

GY.jpg

Very likely. Winter tires have a softer rubber compound which may "soak up" some of the road noise more so than harder summer or all season tires.

Road material and aggregate size differences make a lot of difference in the noise level. Also tires get noisier as they wear down. A long time ago snow tires were always noisier than summer tires, but now with computer designed tread patterns, that's no longer the case.