Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires really that bad???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the tire is used exclusively as original equipment (Tesla shares the tire with General Motors who puts them on the Caddy CTS, Buick Lacrosse, etc), we don't spend any time testing them "head to head" with other models. For the most part, people either love them and want another set or are not impressed enough to buy them again. As of right now, we have a special price on the tire if anyone is interested (see current price here). Since the internet is forever (and pricing is not), check the link for best pricing !

FWIW, my Cadillac CTS came with some version of the Michelin Pilot which I didn't really care for. I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle GTs which were a huge improvement.

LOL I've never heard of any one going from Michelin to Goodyear ever in my entire life. Until just now. You must the only person world who thinks Goodyear tires are better than Michelin. There's a reason Michelin costs more. You get what you pay for. And goodyears are cheap tires. Cheap tires are crap. Be careful in the rain! lol every OEM Goodyear I've ever driven on can't hold traction in the rain after they wear a bit.

LOL I've never heard of any one going from Michelin to Goodyear ever in my entire life. Until just now. You must the only person world who thinks Goodyear tires are better than Michelin. There's a reason Michelin costs more. You get what you pay for. And goodyears are cheap tires. Cheap tires are crap. Be careful in the rain! lol every OEM Goodyear I've ever driven on can't hold traction in the rain after they wear a bit.

I've had very bad experiences with Michelin tires and, in fact, as a condition of sale on two of my past cars, I actually had the new car dealer agree to remove the Michelins before I would sign the purchase agreement. I've certainly had no traction problems with Goodyears and with the Eagle GTs I had on my Cadillac, I didn't even need or bother with winter tires. They were a HUGE improvement in both traction and noise over the Pilots.

I was just told that by the service center that all 4 of my RS-A2s need replacing, at 7500 miles.

Doesn't that seem crazy?

Any suggestions for what I should do?

When you get the new tires, be sure they are aligned properly. No way will they wear out that fast if the alignment is correct. (Assumes you haven't disabled traction control and smoked them :)

I don't have any hard references besides info from the forums and my very informative service advisor: alignment is a big issue and early deliveries definitely had issues, not sure now; air suspension seems to cause more wear; it would be interesting to know your whr/mile with the goal of seeing if you drive your car hard. My service advisor said that folks go through tires fast for first few months, b/c they are enjoying the torque and acceleration.

I was just told that by the service center that all 4 of my RS-A2s need replacing, at 7500 miles.

Doesn't that seem crazy?

Any suggestions for what I should do?

Doesn't that seem crazy?

Yes. Unless you are dragging your car regularly, or are constantly doing doughnuts.

uh yeah thats crazy. thats beyond terrible. my RS-A2s lasted 48k miles before I replaced them. and they still had a good ~4/32" tread left in them too.

Yes, it does. My original RS-A2's have 31,000 miles (minus a bit from last winter when on my snow tires) and plenty of treadlife remaining. No uneven wear either.

I've got 35k miles on mine and they are right at ~4/32". My tire wear has been fairly uniform. The centers (overinflation?) are probably just at the wear bars now. My alignment was done after 12 months and it was ok going in and right in line afterwards. I only rotated them once at ~22k miles. Obviously my fronts are a little more worn than my rears at this point.

I'm hoping to get to 40k miles.

I thought mine went quick at 10,000 miles. I did have Tesla check the alignment over the weekend, and the rear toe was slightly out of spec. There was basically no toe, and spec calls for something like 0.20 degrees. Everything else was in spec. Seems like too little difference to be the cause, though. Tire wear looked even, and my understanding is that incorrect toe would result in uneven wear.

Anyone know how good the eagle rs-a2's are compared to the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02? A local shop is offering $550 installed for either one. I'm leaning towards the sumitomo since it is W instead of V speed rating and 45k mileage warranty