Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the key cards for Model 3 waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking because I would like to be able to take the key with me when going surfing without damaging it. I just saw a video on youtube showing that the keycard is just a chip with a wire loop encased in plastic, so in theory, it should be. And how do you avoid mechanically bending the card?

Yeah should be fine to get it wet. RFID based hotel key cards are no different. I’ve taken those into pools and the ocean without doing any harm to them. To keep it from bending you’ll probably want to get some sort of rigid case or pouch to keep it in when you’re engaged in activities.

Yeah should be fine to get it wet. RFID based hotel key cards are no different. I’ve taken those into pools and the ocean without doing any harm to them. To keep it from bending you’ll probably want to get some sort of rigid case or pouch to keep it in when you’re engaged in activities.

I am not more irrationally afraid of sharks that I was a minute ago. Thank you for this :D

They certainly appear to be sealed but I guess you already knew that. However if a shark eats your card while you're surfing and they are waterproof (the card not the shark) then the shark can dive away with your Model 3 leaving you stranded (high nd dry). Be careful now, 'cause sharks frequent this forum, I've seen them.

If a shark eats your key card, it will not matter whether or not the card is waterproof. The shark will swim away with it regardless. Now, OTOH, if the shark is not waterproof it probably won't eat your card because it's already dead. The other question is whether the shark swallows the card whole, or bites into it. If the shark bites the card, it will probably cut the antenna (see the video above) and ruin it. But if it swallows it whole, you can hope that in a few days or a week maybe it will poop the card out, and you could rent some scuba equipment and try looking for it. A really big (big from my perspective, that is) tiger shark swam right past me, about ten feet away, while I was freediving in Maui about a year and a half ago. But I didn't yet have my Model 3 so I couldn't observe whether it would be interested in eating a key card or not. And if I had had my Model 3 key card, I would not have tried to get the shark to eat it because I'm not a YouTube star. So I just enjoyed seeing that magnificent animal just cruise past me. I tried to keep up with it, but it was way too fast and it swam away from me. (Never swim away from a shark, or run away from a bear or a mountain lion: Food runs away!)

Asking because I would like to be able to take the key with me when going surfing without damaging it. I just saw a video on youtube showing that the keycard is just a chip with a wire loop encased in plastic, so in theory, it should be. And how do you avoid mechanically bending the card?

Try it!!!....

Boil it!!!....

Take a bath with it!!!.....

No..just kidding....its waterproof and heat proof.

well - I mistakenly tested it 2 times in the washer and also the dryer.

guess what? its also weight proof and can withstand a P3D+ rolling over it. - no comment.

Last edited:
good question....if I leave my cell phone in the car and surf with my key card, will the car lock?

also,....it would be great if the key card was smaller, so it could fit in a magnetic case to hide under my car when I do surf.....not so easy to store the card in a wet suit....

good question....if I leave my cell phone in the car and surf with my key card, will the car lock?

also,....it would be great if the key card was smaller, so it could fit in a magnetic case to hide under my car when I do surf.....not so easy to store the card in a wet suit....

Turn bluetooth off on the phone, then lock with the card as you walk away.

Just don't lose the card!