Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the keycards supposed to work only on the driver side pillar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ForthNBack I wish the car had a passenger side NFC key reader too, but nope, it's driver side only. The manual should make that clear btw.

While I think Tesla has made most aspects these cars pretty intuitive, there are some things worth reading about in the manual, in my opinion.

For example, the conditions under which the car will put itself in Park; the conditions under which you can shift it to Neutral or Park; how to force the parking brake on (as an emergency brake); and how to jump/power the car's electronics for basic vehicle access when low voltage power is gone (e.g. dead low voltage battery, or after a wreck).

Upvote 0
My unsolicited advice on key cards is if you have two drivers who are carrying the key cards you should acquire a spare (or two) that you store safely at home. If you don't have a stored spare it is too easy to end up with zero cards for your car.
This!!!

They are cheap enough. If I remember correctly $35 for two. I keep the spares in my safe. My wife and I keep the originals in our wallets and can use our phones or watches to open and drive the car.

I was a Boy Scout. "Be Prepared".

Upvote 0
This!!!

They are cheap enough. If I remember correctly $35 for two. I keep the spares in my safe. My wife and I keep the originals in our wallets and can use our phones or watches to open and drive the car.

I was a Boy Scout. "Be Prepared".
Bonus tip

The same key card can be registered to multiple cars. We have a 3 and Y and I carry just one card.

If you have a trusted friend with a Tesla you can cross add keys.

Upvote 0