Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the majority of these panel misalignment issues cosmetic only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering...are these panel misalignment cosmetic only, or do some of them cause leaks, structural issues, etc.?

I'm really close to ordering a Y. While these alignment issues I'm seeing pictures of do make me pause a bit, I kinda feel like some of them are rather minor that most 'normal' people probably wouldn't even notice.

I'm an engineer and probably more picky for this sort of than a lot of folks by nature ...but at the same time as I've aged I've shifted priorities. In my younger days I'd wash my car as soon as I got home if I got one little bug smashed on my windshield. Now in some ways, and to a limit, I appreciate the 14 year old beater pickup that I'm currently driving. Get a little ding and I don't loose any sleep. This is one angle of buying a new car I'm not looking forward to....
I'm not burdened with concern over every little smudge.... It's the glaring stuff that really bothers me now.
I couldn't stand for any sizable dents or damage...or grossly misaligned trunk lids for example.
leaks or rattles that shouldn't be.... no way.

Of course, a car this expensive shouldn't have glaring issue like some pictures seem to show, but are most truly a big deal? What's my likelihood of getting a problem?

I'd love to see some statistics
of the total number of issues reported,
how many cause leaks, cause doors or trunk lids to not close properly, etc...?
how many are really significant cosmetic.... like visible 10 ft away to someone not putting it under a microscope?
how many require pulling out a gauge and really getting in close to see?

and of course my other fear with seemingly so many cars being rejected.. If I do order one I wonder how likely it'll be I'll get a real lemon reject that's already been rejected/repaired?

@BLW2 .. what do you engineering senses tell you about a door made like this?
Click on the image to view full size...

20200719_161650-jpg.566630

From this post....
Fit & Finish Issues Plaguing Model Y

Panel gaps seem to be worse than any other vehicle manufacturers. Whilst this may be cosmetic, this is a very expensive vehicle and it would be nice if it was built correctly. Also do the gaps create wind noise, drag and reduce range? It's systematic of a car not being built to the same standards as the rest of the auto industry. Which is disappointing.

IMHO, Tesla need to catch up quick and learn how to build cars properly, the Model Y is the 5th car they have produced. Currently it looks like big car companies can catch up to Tesla's tech quicker than Tesla can catch up to other manufacturers build quality.

Then it'll have problems.