Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model Y/3 Tapped Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on if we will see any further performance improvements to the Y? It seems like it has been quite awhile since Tesla gifted us any OTA updates that improved 0-60, etc. so I'm wondering if they feel like the 2170 arch in the Y and 3 has been tapped. I find this somewhat concerning, as we are finally getting to the point where there are competitors that are encroaching or even mildly surpassing the performance of the MYP.

TLDR: I just wonder with the 4680 on the horizon, if Tesla has pseudo abandoned development/improvements to the 2170 or whether we can expect some OTA improvements to fend off competitors.

As more and more new EV’s come gunning for Tesla, Tesla will need to respond with more range, efficiency, performance and charging profiles. Given what Tesla has been able to extract from the 1860s found in the new S/X I firmly believe Tesla has held back on the 2170s. My gut tells me Tesla will wait for a few of the major players to commit to some numbers, start production and garner some press and with an OTA update bitch slap them. That’s just MHO.

As more and more new EV’s come gunning for Tesla, Tesla will need to respond with more range, efficiency, performance and charging profiles. Given what Tesla has been able to extract from the 1860s found in the new S/X I firmly believe Tesla has held back on the 2170s. My gut tells me Tesla will wait for a few of the major players to commit to some numbers, start production and garner some press and with an OTA update bitch slap them. That’s just MHO.
I bet and a more reasonable FSD or at least on the higher models for free. Or they will lose people to other manufacturers.

Tesla's are still selling, in extremely high demand. On the order page, Model 3 standards and Y LR's will be delivering end of this year (possibly next), if you order now. That doesn't sound anything near losing to other manufacturers. Losing to other manufacturers would read more like, deliveries in a few weeks (maybe days), to dozens of pages of existing orders from buyer rejects.

As cool and great as performance enhancements would seem, Tesla is struggling to make more cars and pushing all their resources there, rather than tweaking improvements. Couple that with the countless dislikes of V11 UI, they have good reason to dial that back a bit. I'm actually surprised they're even releasing a 4680 model at all. Then again, that's not out yet either.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on if we will see any further performance improvements to the Y? It seems like it has been quite awhile since Tesla gifted us any OTA updates that improved 0-60, etc. so I'm wondering if they feel like the 2170 arch in the Y and 3 has been tapped. I find this somewhat concerning, as we are finally getting to the point where there are competitors that are encroaching or even mildly surpassing the performance of the MYP.

TLDR: I just wonder with the 4680 on the horizon, if Tesla has pseudo abandoned development/improvements to the 2170 or whether we can expect some OTA improvements to fend off competitors.
You lost me at “gifted”. If, (and I bet they don’t) offer a boost it won’t be gifted. Personally see no value nor interest. Squeeze another 20 plus miles of range out and you have competitive value.

I think the 3 platform has been stagnant in general, but I don't see it as a bad thing. The 3/Y are great cars. Like the S/X I'd bet on improvements, but not necessarily super soon. Maybe in another couple of years we'll have 400 miles of peak range and P models in the 2.5-3 second 0-60 range. Maybe a better torque curve too.

But there's no urgency for them to do these things right now. It is the same with new product launches in general.

I think the 3 platform has been stagnant in general, but I don't see it as a bad thing. The 3/Y are great cars. Like the S/X I'd bet on improvements, but not necessarily super soon. Maybe in another couple of years we'll have 400 miles of peak range and P models in the 2.5-3 second 0-60 range. Maybe a better torque curve too.

But there's no urgency for them to do these things right now. It is the same with new product launches in general.
I was thinking the opposite I'm feeling bad for the S and X people because the 3 and Y are getting all the love and becoming proper mass production cars.
Still feels like the quality on the S and X has been lacking with the posts I see.

Like who? Nobody out there has the range of the 3/Y, unless you count the 17 Lucid Air's out there. 0-60? Okay, who here is spending a $180k on a Porsche Taycan and thinking "man i really got the better deal vs buying a Model Y/3 Performance"

Reactions: SageBrush