Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model Y/3 Tapped Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potential Mod for the MYP:
1. Aftermarket rear motor = stronger, spins faster, etc.
2. Full BMS flash software to provide more power to the motors
3. Aftermarket LSDs
4. Track mode with ability to adjust torque distribution

Potential Mod for the MYP:
1. Aftermarket rear motor = stronger, spins faster, etc.
2. Full BMS flash software to provide more power to the motors
3. Aftermarket LSDs
4. Track mode with ability to adjust torque distribution
They have aftermarket LSDs for the Model 3/Y already. I don't think many people have bought and installed one though.

Tbh, I'm surprised Tesla haven't come out with a track mode for the Y Performance. Since hardware for 3 and Y are essentially the same, they could easily adapt the current 3 track mode software to Y... I think an LSD and upgraded rear motor are going to be too much money for most owners, even the ones with heavy aftermarket mods already.

Reactions: BMWY
The i4M50, Mach E GT and even the P2 with perf upgrade have all matched or eclipsed the MYP in terms of performance.
Tesla has done OTA upgrades in the past that have bumped performance, so I’m not sure that this question is THAT outlandish.

That said, my guess is that the bulk of development has moved to the 4680 platform at this point. Not a ton of incentive for Tesla to go above and beyond supporting a platform that they plan to abandon.
The point of the 4680 cells is cost reduction and increased mass production, not better performance. The limitation on performance is with the current drive units Tesla uses on Model 3/Y. They COULD drive them harder through an OTA update, but that would increase the failure rate. I'd rather have more reliable drive units because I want mine to last the life of the car. Increased failure rate will cost Tesla money on the warranty replacements and some reputation for reliability.

True... but from what I read is the 4680 cells can be fit into the structural battery pack to provide more stored energy than the current battery pack. Thus leading to a battery pack with larger capacity.

The thing that will crush Tesla will be when other manufacturers make a battery pack large enough that the range is significantly better than 300 miles on a charge. If there were good options for vehicles with 350-375 miles on a charge, and that charged as fast as the Tesla's do, I would have considered that car over the MYP I just purchased.

True... but from what I read is the 4680 cells can be fit into the structural battery pack to provide more stored energy than the current battery pack. Thus leading to a battery pack with larger capacity.

The thing that will crush Tesla will be when other manufacturers make a battery pack large enough that the range is significantly better than 300 miles on a charge. If there were good options for vehicles with 350-375 miles on a charge, and that charged as fast as the Tesla's do, I would have considered that car over the MYP I just purchased.
Range is the bottom of the deciding factor list. It is the efficiency and battery management software that makes Tesla the leader at least 5-10 years ahead of every one. You can put the biggest battery and achieve 400 miles per charge, but you sacrifice the efficiency.
Also, it is the overall software package that makes Tesla No.1 choice (for now), not the range.