Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the Model Y/3 Tapped Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd pay Tesla to enable a real track mode, where I can adjust power distribution, steering ratio, ABS/traction control, RPM/Amp/voltage mapping, enable data logging etc. 0-60 is an important marketing figure and quickly becoming less interesting and irrelevant when you are into performance driving. My $0.02.
My .02 is the MYP isn't the car you'd want to turn into a track toy...like ever. Get the M3P.

I didn't my an MY for a super 0-60 speed, I bought it as a fun, efficient electric SUV. There are so many more improvements that Tesla should make before improving speed and handling, in my opinion. For instance, allow me to answer the phone without looking for the button on the screen. Allow the app to connect faster (it can take 20-30 seconds, even while I'm standing right next to the car), Improve the accuracy of the auto windshield wipers - now I can't take them out of auto if I'm in "autopilot" cruise control, even if they're going hyperactive because of the blackflies. Give me blind spot monitoring before I signal a lane change. To name a few. None of those things are deal breakers that would entice me to give up the car, but I'd choose even one of them over a performance update.

Curious what everyone's thoughts are on if we will see any further performance improvements to the Y? It seems like it has been quite awhile since Tesla gifted us any OTA updates that improved 0-60, etc. so I'm wondering if they feel like the 2170 arch in the Y and 3 has been tapped. I find this somewhat concerning, as we are finally getting to the point where there are competitors that are encroaching or even mildly surpassing the performance of the MYP.

TLDR: I just wonder with the 4680 on the horizon, if Tesla has pseudo abandoned development/improvements to the 2170 or whether we can expect some OTA improvements to fend off competitors.
lol what kind of post is this? are you assuming tesla will keep bumping up speed OTA that matches CPI?? nobody does this and they've only done it for a reason. There's no incentive for them to keep doing it. OTA updates have been used in the past as they had to fix bugs, the more bugs you fix, the less it requires going forward as with any software. It's not a hard concept. They've most likely shifted attention on next product

Performance Performance Performance thats all I hear above. It's one of the fastest cars out there. What they need to do is work on the luxury aspect of the vehicle. They are sorely lacking in a lot of areas. Especially in the 3/Y. Beyond the whole exterior color issue. How about the ventilated seats! How about more interior lighting! Adding suspension options! How abut the birds eye view! How about more interior colors. I would have much preferred beige for my Y instead of the stark white. How about another model called the Executive Y/3.

Performance Performance Performance thats all I hear above. It's one of the fastest cars out there. What they need to do is work on the luxury aspect of the vehicle. They are sorely lacking in a lot of areas. Especially in the 3/Y. Beyond the whole exterior color issue. How about the ventilated seats! How about more interior lighting! Adding suspension options! How abut the birds eye view! How about more interior colors. I would have much preferred beige for my Y instead of the stark white. How about another model called the Executive Y/3.
Think they did all this, it’s called a model S. Or do you mean Free wishes.

If your after multiple car “shapes” Tesla is likely not the brand for you.
I want the shape and storage of the Y with more luxury options. I do not want gull wing doors or the full size dimension of the X.
They should be able to add tiers of luxury to the Y and there would be plenty of buyers.

I don't need more 0 to 60. Why give it all to the aftermarket people

The i4M50, Mach E GT and even the P2 with perf upgrade have all matched or eclipsed the MYP in terms of performance.
Tesla has done OTA upgrades in the past that have bumped performance, so I’m not sure that this question is THAT outlandish.

That said, my guess is that the bulk of development has moved to the 4680 platform at this point. Not a ton of incentive for Tesla to go above and beyond supporting a platform that they plan to abandon.

Like who? Nobody out there has the range of the 3/Y, unless you count the 17 Lucid Air's out there. 0-60? Okay, who here is spending a $180k on a Porsche Taycan and thinking "man i really got the better deal vs buying a Model Y/3 Performance"

Keep in mind that the car doesn't really meet the EPA numbers. The competition is closer than we think in terms of range.

The biggest problem for other manufacturers is charging network.

I picked up my MYP last weekend and it's a straight replacement for my Model 3 w/ performance update. (For all the supposed complaints about how it takes bumps, etc., it's WAY better than the Model 3 in that regard - even with 21" wheels.)

I think the next big thing for Tesla with be the structural battery pack completely loaded with batteries, and a significantly improved range.

The current MYP is a nicely improved version of my 2019 M3, and if they keep doing incremental updates it'll compete well enough.

As someone else posted, they aren't having issues selling Tesla MYPs.

Reactions: Corndart