Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the news Ds finally quiet (no front motor noise)?

joer00

Jan 26, 2013
Tampa
I went to the service center yesterday and got a quick test ride in a P90D. What made me more jealous then the ludicrous mode was the fact that I hardly could here the front engine. Beside the missing power after 30 mph, the front engine whine is the only thing I do not like about my car and where I miss my old P85.

Can you guys who just got a D confirm that this, or is it only the P90D ?

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
They replaed my front motor and the whine got better but it's still there. Haven't been in a P90D, yet (so I guess I shouldn't have responded?)

Pete90D

Fan of Red Lights
Jul 25, 2015
Bay Area, CA
I went to the service center yesterday and got a quick test ride in a P90D. What made me more jealous then the ludicrous mode was the fact that I hardly could here the front engine. Beside the missing power after 30 mph, the front engine whine is the only thing I do not like about my car and where I miss my old P85.

Can you guys who just got a D confirm that this, or is it only the P90D ?

The whine is still there. I don't think I notice it more than the rear motor whine of an old P85+ or front whine of a P85D. I like the sound so I'm probably not the best one to answer.

Last edited:

gordo

Jan 16, 2015
CA
They replaed my front motor and the whine got better but it's still there. Haven't been in a P90D, yet (so I guess I shouldn't have responded?)

I got my P85D ordered and delivered on the same day as you. I'm curious why they replaced your front motor...

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I got my P85D ordered and delivered on the same day as you. I'm curious why they replaced your front motor...

Beause the front motor noise was really obnoxious, especially around zero power (so when you are cruising a slight downhill and the motor keeps switching between a small amount of power used and a small amount of power regenerated.
The service center actually recorded the noise when driving and sent it to HQ which came back with "umm, we don't know, please replace".

Khatsalano

Mar 21, 2015
San Mateo, CA
I can hear both my motors and I love it. The starship-electric whine is too cool and it's what a powerful, electric platform is supposed to sound like. I know there is a segment of the market that prefers a soundless EV experience, but that's just so sterile to me.

Of course, I'm only talking about the sexy electric whine/whirr that accompanies the application of power or regen. The high-pitch chirping noise is just fail. The intermittent on/off torque sleep noise is also mostly fail.

- K

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
My P85D has the high pitched whine below 40 MPH in steady state cruise. It sounds just like all the future sci fi electric cars we've seen in movies over the years. It's amazing that all those movies got that one aspect of future cars correct.

I personally like it.

dirkhh

Middle-aged Member
Jul 7, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I have a 3 week old 70D. I find the whine very annoying. The service manager drove it and said it was normal.
Any suggestions?
Can you record it and post on YouTube? A certain noise is normal, but in some cases (like in mine) it is very intense and annoying and needs to be addressed

st50maint

Jun 28, 2015
New York
I have a 70D and can't even tell there is a front motor. No whine at all so, it may be normal but not universal.
Thanks, that is encouraging information.
I will attempt do ride in another 70D sometime over the next few weeks.
If it proves to be as quiet as yours, I can then better deal with the service center knowing that mine is not necessarily "normal"

brucet999

Mar 12, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
I have moderate hearing loss from 8k Hz and up, so I guess I wouldn't notice front motor whine much. I wonder, if one did a poll of those who report annoying front motor whine and those who don't hear it, would there be an age correlation? :)

perkiset

... this one goes to 11
Jan 7, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I must not have the same problem as the OP ... I have and 85D and the *tiny* amount of whine I hear from the front is actually very cool - it's really only on spool up and gives the car a very tiny, but present "tell" about the fact that you're laying into it (beyond the fact, of course, that everyone is stuck to their seats LOL)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC