TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are the news Ds finally quiet (no front motor noise)?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by joer00, Sep 2, 2015.

1. joer00

joer00 Member

I went to the service center yesterday and got a quick test ride in a P90D. What made me more jealous then the ludicrous mode was the fact that I hardly could here the front engine. Beside the missing power after 30 mph, the front engine whine is the only thing I do not like about my car and where I miss my old P85.

Can you guys who just got a D confirm that this, or is it only the P90D ?

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

They replaed my front motor and the whine got better but it's still there. Haven't been in a P90D, yet (so I guess I shouldn't have responded?)

3. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

#3 Pete90D, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    The whine is still there. I don't think I notice it more than the rear motor whine of an old P85+ or front whine of a P85D. I like the sound so I'm probably not the best one to answer.

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

The only time I can hear anything is when the radio is off and I am accelerating......and its very very low. 85D

5. Jool

Jool Member

I definitely hear some motor whine from the front of my 90D. Nothing really intrusive - I kinda like it!

6. gordo

gordo Member

I got my P85D ordered and delivered on the same day as you. I'm curious why they replaced your front motor...

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I drove a 70D a few days ago and its significantly noisier than my Model S 85 single motor

8. dirkhh

Beause the front motor noise was really obnoxious, especially around zero power (so when you are cruising a slight downhill and the motor keeps switching between a small amount of power used and a small amount of power regenerated.
    The service center actually recorded the noise when driving and sent it to HQ which came back with "umm, we don't know, please replace".

9. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I can hear both my motors and I love it. The starship-electric whine is too cool and it's what a powerful, electric platform is supposed to sound like. I know there is a segment of the market that prefers a soundless EV experience, but that's just so sterile to me.

Of course, I'm only talking about the sexy electric whine/whirr that accompanies the application of power or regen. The high-pitch chirping noise is just fail. The intermittent on/off torque sleep noise is also mostly fail.

- K

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

My P85D has the high pitched whine below 40 MPH in steady state cruise. It sounds just like all the future sci fi electric cars we've seen in movies over the years. It's amazing that all those movies got that one aspect of future cars correct.

I personally like it.

11. saladman

saladman Member

Can't hear it in mine. Maybe I just like the car too much.

12. st50maint

st50maint Member

I have a 3 week old 70D. I find the whine very annoying. The service manager drove it and said it was normal.
    Any suggestions?

13. ddimit

ddimit Member

More annoying as a ICE? I welcome the difference in sound.

14. dirkhh

Can you record it and post on YouTube? A certain noise is normal, but in some cases (like in mine) it is very intense and annoying and needs to be addressed

15. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I have a 70D and can't even tell there is a front motor. No whine at all so, it may be normal but not universal.

16. st50maint

st50maint Member

Thanks, that is encouraging information.
    I will attempt do ride in another 70D sometime over the next few weeks.
    If it proves to be as quiet as yours, I can then better deal with the service center knowing that mine is not necessarily "normal"

17. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Good luck. I'm really not sure why some are loud and some aren't. Let me know if it gets resolved.

18. taurusking

taurusking Member

I am currently driving a 85D loaner and its not noisy at all...Not as quiet as my S85 RWD

19. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I have moderate hearing loss from 8k Hz and up, so I guess I wouldn't notice front motor whine much. I wonder, if one did a poll of those who report annoying front motor whine and those who don't hear it, would there be an age correlation? :)

20. perkiset

perkiset ... this one goes to 11

I must not have the same problem as the OP ... I have and 85D and the *tiny* amount of whine I hear from the front is actually very cool - it's really only on spool up and gives the car a very tiny, but present "tell" about the fact that you're laying into it (beyond the fact, of course, that everyone is stuck to their seats LOL)