Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are the news Ds finally quiet (no front motor noise)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must not have the same problem as the OP ... I have and 85D and the *tiny* amount of whine I hear from the front is actually very cool - it's really only on spool up and gives the car a very tiny, but present "tell" about the fact that you're laying into it (beyond the fact, of course, that everyone is stuck to their seats LOL)

This is my experience too with my P85D. With the S60 before, the rear motor whine was very very faint and distant when it could be heard at all.

I just test drove a 70 and 2 85D's. They didn't have a 70D to test. Even though I live in Florida and don't really need all wheel drive, I was planning on buying a D since it's the latest technology, better range, acceleration, etc. But the front motor noise was too obnoxious for me, both on acceleration and even deceleration. In fact, even with the radio on quietly, the whine still bothered me (and I'm getting old and starting to have slight hearing loss). It was definitely the front motor, and it was the same in both D's. It sounded like a jet engine turbine. The 70 was quiet. I ended up ordering an S90. Bigger frunk too, but who really cares. I will say though, that I purposely left the A/C fan on low, and the radio mostly off so I could listen for noise. Probably with the A/C on normal and radio a little louder, I wouldn't hear it or it would be very slight. Just to show what I know, I drove 2 85D's because I wanted to hear the difference between the 19" and 21" tires. The 21's were louder, but I'm getting them because I like the looks! I'm like idiot!

I just test drove a 70 and 2 85D's. They didn't have a 70D to test. Even though I live in Florida and don't really need all wheel drive, I was planning on buying a D since it's the latest technology, better range, acceleration, etc. But the front motor noise was too obnoxious for me, both on acceleration and even deceleration. In fact, even with the radio on quietly, the whine still bothered me (and I'm getting old and starting to have slight hearing loss). It was definitely the front motor, and it was the same in both D's. It sounded like a jet engine turbine. The 70 was quiet. I ended up ordering an S90. Bigger frunk too, but who really cares. I will say though, that I purposely left the A/C fan on low, and the radio mostly off so I could listen for noise. Probably with the A/C on normal and radio a little louder, I wouldn't hear it or it would be very slight. Just to show what I know, I drove 2 85D's because I wanted to hear the difference between the 19" and 21" tires. The 21's were louder, but I'm getting them because I like the looks! I'm like idiot!

Some people really like that sci-fi noise (myself included). There are actually people who mod it to make the motors sound louder. Whenever you find it annoying, imagine yourself driving the future :)

70D here for 3 months (lol will that now mean I have a "Classic D" ?) and over 6500 miles driven and drive with all windows and roof open and UHF audio completely off a lot (eg. when 3G takes forever to connect). It is by no means a silent car, and there are 2 sounds that annoy me but they are not the amazing motors -- my dash rattle (near the glove compartment) and the pinging of the tires. My motors *may* have gotten a bit more whirry over time, but I feel it's mostly me adjusting from a rather raucous ICE :biggrin:

Last edited:
I had brand new P85D loaner when my car (85 RWD) was in for service the other other day. Drove it for four days. I would never trade my rwd for an awd. The front motor noise was annoying and too loud for my taste. I guess I am just used to the RWD quietness.

So for me an AWD Tesla is a no-go as a daily driver until they fix that sound.

I do not mind the whine so much on heavy acceleration or deceleration on my 70D.
It is the constant off and on of the very noticeable whine when trying to maintain say a constant 40mph that I find annoying.

dirkhh said it best above and I quote:
"the front motor noise was really obnoxious, especially around zero power (so when you are cruising a slight downhill and the motor keeps switching between a small amount of power used and a small amount of power regenerated."

My 70D is pretty new (out of factory on August 28 and delivered 11 days ago) and I am just getting used to it. So I think I have noticed the "new" noises. I have indeed noticed a slight whine from the front motor a few times, but not on every trip and not enough to be objectionable. The A/C compressor on my previous car was louder (but also not objectionable).
Actually, whole car is pretty doggone quiet, I think. Only major noise I have noticed so far has been wind noise in a strong wind.

I do not mind the whine so much on heavy acceleration or deceleration on my 70D.
It is the constant off and on of the very noticeable whine when trying to maintain say a constant 40mph that I find annoying.

dirkhh said it best above and I quote:
"the front motor noise was really obnoxious, especially around zero power (so when you are cruising a slight downhill and the motor keeps switching between a small amount of power used and a small amount of power regenerated."
I went to the Tesla store and asked to drive a 70D for a few minutes.
They did not have one but offered me to try a 90D.
I drove the 90D
and heard the exact same whistling noises that I hear on my 70D.
The
"owner advisor" heard them also but stated that he never noticed them before.

In the past, a service manager from one location and a technician from another location rode with me in my car.
They both say the noise is normal.

I guess I will just have to live with it unless some one can suggest something else.

I asked about the whine when I have my 90D in recently. For my car it was not just during acceleration, but even just maintaining speed anywhere over about 20MPH.

While my car was in service, I got a P85D loaner and it only whined under acceleration, so I was hopeful my 90D could be fixed.

When I got my 90D back, they said it was "normal", but only when running with Range mode on and that Tesla knows about it, but he was not sure it they had a fix coming.

Sure enough if I turn off range mode the whine is gone. I'm glad it's gone, but a little bummed I have to sacrifice mileage to do it.

I asked about the whine when I have my 90D in recently. For my car it was not just during acceleration, but even just maintaining speed anywhere over about 20MPH.

While my car was in service, I got a P85D loaner and it only whined under acceleration, so I was hopeful my 90D could be fixed.

When I got my 90D back, they said it was "normal", but only when running with Range mode on and that Tesla knows about it, but he was not sure it they had a fix coming.

Sure enough if I turn off range mode the whine is gone. I'm glad it's gone, but a little bummed I have to sacrifice mileage to do it.
Curious at how range mode ON creates more noise. Any possible explanation?